Sled Ski mounting opinions ?

Marmot MB

Reaction score
Hi all, bit of a newbie here, zero experiance in the field with ski's mounted to sleds.

Did some research, did some product investigation as to what is offered in the market place. Yikes, $400 pretty steep with rack and mount.

Did some research of home jobs and found most said, "keep it simple" anything that can break or loosen probably will.

I assume there is alot of vibration and force happening from the ski weight and extra hanging out.

I found these at a local outfitter.

Hunting Fishing Camping Gear & Apparel | Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters

Thought these may work as they are offset to allow the ski's to be somewhat to the side of the sled allowing the foot boards to be free.

Thought with no moving or adjustable parts they may hold up. I am suspect of the plastic design, may be good to absorb vibration, or may just snap like a twig... who knows.

in a crash I hope and suspect the plastic construction of the "Y" will just snap and not tear up my sled boards and tunnel.

Am suspect of the weight mounted with four bolts each and a metal single plate underneath to the boards and the rear tunnel area.

Once ski's are set into the "Y" of the bracket I am then using either one or two ratchet straps to attach to the factory M8 jerry can rack, which takes some of the weight off the "Y's" and helps to prevent any movement.

if I am not sled skiing I plan on removing them, easy enough 8 bolts and they are off.

So..... wondering what those in the know have to say ? will this stand up ? will it work ? advice ?

smc

Reaction score
you're not the first guy ive seen use those, no idea how they stand up over time but i guess you'll soon find out. ive also seen people use custom shaped hockey pucks, cutting boards, a milk crate and more. sooner or later they all end up buying a CFR rack, if you can find a used rack for a good price you wont be disappointed.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those gun mounts will not last.
If you're handy with tools get a chunk of uhmw from a plastic supplier and cut your own, mount to tunnel with stainless hardware.
Otherwise buy the cfr rack.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never mounted anything besides a gas can on a tunnel so I'm not sure how much abuse those ski racks go through but I think you would be alright. If it were me I would put a reinforcement plate under neath the rack so the tunnel can't bend or flex underneath it.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Do your self a favour and work an extra day or two and buy a CFR Rack, they last forever and just plain work...we have all gone the cheaper way, but in the end we have all laid down for the best....and that is cfr

snowho

Reaction score
I agree CFR is the way to go no doubt tried allot of different methods and the rack is infinitely better. However I bought my first doo this year and decided to pick up the Linq system because it looks pretty slick haven't field tested yet but did the garage test {put board in rack sit on sled and make sled noises with mouth} once I try it for real,if it woks well, I'll have a CFR I rack for sale but it has the snow board holder not the ski holder.

jockdoc

Reaction score
I agree as well. The gun rack will not hold up. Go CFR for sure. I have one on my sled and I think it's awesome. It's very durable and purpose built.

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, those Kolpin gun racks WILL FAIL if you actually ride the sled.., tried all of them.. UMHW plastic or hockey pucks attached to the tunnel to "slide" the skis or board into and snowboard straps/ratchet to hold them down..or buy one made.., check out knight rider racks, or cfr as mentioned!

Top Bottom