Sled Deck or Trailer?

maxpower

Reaction score
Help me out guys. I used to have a half ton & I have a Triton 12ft V nose (XT12VR). I have since upgraded to a 3/4 Dodge Diesel MegaCab and I am contemplating on just buying a Sled Deck and Selling the trailer am I crazy?
So what do I do & whats the Triton even worth to sell?

Ol' Skool

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a enclosed Triton trailer(clam shell style), and love it. No road debris, fully lockable, and very easy to load. Sled decks scare the ch!t out of me. Thats alot of weight higher then any truck manufacturer ever designed the truck to carry. Alot of guys run the sled decks though, so they cannt be terrible.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a deck last year using a trailer noe going back to a deck pulling a trailer sucks especially on the fall and spring up rough roads a 3 quarter tonne might be a litlle light for a deck tho

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you live close to the riding areas and/or usually only travel with one other guy then a sled deck is nice. Nothing beats them for early/late season access either instead of riding your sled up km's of gravel you're just driving your pickup with tons of traction over the rear axle (and front if you have a diesel). A trailer is really nice if you live a long way from the riding areas, make multiple day trips, or pack a crewcab full of guys and go ride. Trailers are great for thawing out sleds and gear, having a place to work, or a place to hang out in the parking lot.

For me I would want a trailer and a deck if I lived a long way from where I was riding. Toss the deck on for early and late season and the trailer for everything in between.

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354683052.336558.jpg
Best thing I have done

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What he said
If you live close to the riding areas and/or usually only travel with one other guy then a sled deck is nice. Nothing beats them for early/late season access either instead of riding your sled up km's of gravel you're just driving your pickup with tons of traction over the rear axle (and front if you have a diesel). A trailer is really nice if you live a long way from the riding areas, make multiple day trips, or pack a crewcab full of guys and go ride. Trailers are great for thawing out sleds and gear, having a place to work, or a place to hang out in the parking lot.

For me I would want a trailer and a deck if I lived a long way from where I was riding. Toss the deck on for early and late season and the trailer for everything in between.

maxpower

Reaction score
I usually just head out with the old man(From Edmonton). But i somehow ended up being responsible for sled & truck transport haha...so I guess its time for a deck. Any real reason not to buy a used Marathon? I see a couple for sale on kijiji.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody else running a 3/4 with a Deck?

Yeah but not a 3/4 MegaCab Cummins. I bet a deck with two sleds and occupants with gear puts that thing over GVW. (payload is like 2100 pounds)

Now if you don't care about being on the right side of the law, there are lots of 2500 MegaCab Diesels out there with decks.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually just head out with the old man(From Edmonton). But i somehow ended up being responsible for sled & truck transport haha...so I guess its time for a deck. Any real reason not to buy a used Marathon? I see a couple for sale on kijiji.
I bought a used Marathon for the right price. I changed the clearance lights to LED from Priness Auto, polished the alum to look like chrome and i am happy. The ramp is great, but the side extensions are sticky to get in and out occasionally. If thats the way you want to go, used is ok imo. I paid $1500 for mine.

maxpower

Reaction score
Yeah but not a 3/4 MegaCab Cummins. I bet a deck with two sleds and occupants with gear puts that thing over GVW. (payload is like 2100 pounds)

Now if you don't care about being on the right side of the law, there are lots of 2500 MegaCab Diesels out there with decks.

Yeah your right it might be tight. I'll probably push my luck. 5.9 Cummins is great but man its heavy.

Pinebeatle

Reaction score
Run a F250 powerstroke with a deck and never had any probs--easy to park and if you get into a tight spot no probs! :p

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a buddy with a deck, borrow it and check your weight if you are concerned. I think you should be fine with a 3/4 ton though. I weighed my 1/2 ton with my deck this weekend and it was 5650lbs. (7 foot crosstrax) with the extension in the box, with a 1/2 tank of fuel and me in it. So it is legal for 1 sled and gear. No way no how would 2 sleds be legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a buddy with a deck, borrow it and check your weight if you are concerned. I think you should be fine with a 3/4 ton though. I weighed my 1/2 ton with my deck this weekend and it was 5650lbs. (7 foot crosstrax) with the extension in the box, with a 1/2 tank of fuel and me in it. So it is legal for 1 sled and gear. No way no how would 2 sleds be legal.

It's just the way it is with a 3/4 megacab diesel. They have no payload due to the weight of the truck. 2 sleds at 550. 2 guys at 200. A deck at 350. Add your gear in there at 100 each. There is 2050 pounds. Take into account any accessories on the truck like step bars, box liner, larger tires, whatever and its over.

Now I know many people don't give two craps about it they see a 2500 badge and just load it up.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

jockdoc

Reaction score
IMO, both have their respective benefits. Weight/loading issues aside, I had a deck and I found it to be a pain at the beginning and end of sledding season when I had to throw the deck on/off the back of the truck. Coordinating it with buddies was a tiny bit annoying, not to mention we managed to nick the back of my truck once while doing the lift... If I didn't use my box all summer to pull a fifth wheel, maybe I would have just left the deck on. Anyway, now I use a 24' enclosed trailer and enjoy the benefits of that, notwithstanding it is annoying to have sitting on my driveway.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hijack, but maybe will pertain to you
I bought a single place deck from Marathon this year and its great ... except.....

I have a hard time loading the sled
is it just a matter of practice?
I took like 10 runs at it before i actually got it on ..... thought it would be way easier to load
guess im paranoid of going through the back window or something .....
I have some experience loading a sled on a full size deck on a 1 ton, and it seemed easier than this is

right now im sorta wishing i bought a trailer
i dunno tho ....

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hijack, but maybe will pertain to you
I bought a single place deck from Marathon this year and its great ... except.....

I have a hard time loading the sled
is it just a matter of practice?
I took like 10 runs at it before i actually got it on ..... thought it would be way easier to load
guess im paranoid of going through the back window or something .....
I have some experience loading a sled on a full size deck on a 1 ton, and it seemed easier than this is

right now im sorta wishing i bought a trailer
i dunno tho ....

It's simple you just need to use it more. I hit my ramp at an easy pace just to get my track to bite the ramp. After that I just climb up it slow.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just throttle control. Keep the clutch engaged. Goes up no problem at a walking pace.

A little burp sometimes is needed to get track contact with the ramp.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deck all the way at least for me around here. A lot of the FSR's I go up in the winter would be a nightmare with a trailer! As for the 2500 I think you will be alright. My truck carries the 2 sleds ok but with the lift it does sway a little bit. It is not a set up for long highway trips but great for local strikes.

Attachments

• 384466_10150614344593332_2117976528_n.jpg
    384466_10150614344593332_2117976528_n.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom