trailer decking

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I need to re-deck my equipment trailer this summer, what do you all suggest for wood..8.5' x 16' deckover. Treated or not rough cut or..?

johnny cash

Reaction score
Did mine last fall with treated lumber 2X8, once installed I gave it another coat of the green preservative, got my deck screws at Beothuck trailer shop way better price than any hardware store.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you have a custom cut saw mill out their go see them. Depending on the trailer its not standard dimensional wood. If its one you tow behind a pickup then yes it may be dimensional the bigger once not so much.. Cant remember what i get from the mill but its always a perfect fit and will not rot..

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im interested about the no rot part...from what I'm reading fir is probably the way to go in Alberta but I don't imagine they pressure treat fir? Other than that would have to call around I guess and see, rough cut always had me intrigued by the cost aspect but it seems to me it would need to be weatherproofed? These are just 2x8x16 cut to length but would like the deck strong enough to load a pickup on it if needed. 90% of the time the trailer just has a 1000 gal water tank on it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Im interested about the no rot part...from what I'm reading fir is probably the way to go in Alberta but I don't imagine they pressure treat fir? Other than that would have to call around I guess and see, rough cut always had me intrigued by the cost aspect but it seems to me it would need to be weatherproofed? These are just 2x8x16 cut to length but would like the deck strong enough to load a pickup on it if needed. 90% of the time the trailer just has a 1000 gal water tank on it.
my goto locally for that kind of wood has ALWAYS been Golden Spike, they've been good to me, and are priced pretty close to everyone else.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would the no slip stuff that's put in all the new trailers and sled decks work? it's 3/4" and has a coating black coating one one side. I think its around $125.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4". buddy just did a home made sled deck with it. looks great. He bought it from Red Deer RV.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion but its a heavy duty equipment type trailer that currently has 2x8x16 on it now. Interesting thought though will look into

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone sells treated fir in western Canada. Fir only takes oil borne preservative and the treated lumber is all done with water borne MCA (brown) or CCA (green).

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best is fir with diesel/kerosene treatment. Re-treat every few years and it should last forever. A bit messy/smelly but that is the best/easiest way for longevity. I went treated for convenience, knowing it wont last as long though.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best is fir with diesel/kerosene treatment. Re-treat every few years and it should last forever. A bit messy/smelly but that is the best/easiest way for longevity. I went treated for convenience, knowing it wont last as long though.
yeah this trailer mostly is used for hauling hay and water so probably not..

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone sells treated fir in western Canada. Fir only takes oil borne preservative and the treated lumber is all done with water borne MCA (brown) or CCA (green).
interesting did not know that thanks

Top Bottom