Slave Lake Fires

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Big thanks to Firefly for the use of a brand new trailer and Zender Ford for donating fuel.(that I put in my dodge )

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for specific food items? Any restrictions - just non perishible items or everything (bread, milk, meat, etc)?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for specific food items? Any restrictions - just non perishible items or everything (bread, milk, meat, etc)?

Trailers are non insulated so if u want to donate meat which I'm sure is appreciated it might have to be frozen in a styrofoam cooler or something. Most folks have been donating non perishable kind of stuff.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with syncrude aurora all non essential people are being evacuated fire is getting close to the edge if the pit

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hi, Oilboy's gf here.
I've been keeping an eye on the Facebook sites associated with the Slave Lake Relief Effort and

Some food items they have listed include:
- individually packed snacks
- oatmeal
- whole grain pasta
- brown rice
- pancake mix
- juice boxes
- bottled water
- jarred baby food/formula
- fresh produce
- block cheese
- frozen sausage
- also pet food/treats for all types of animals
** At first they were asking to not donate canned goods. I'm unsure if this is still the case?**

Also I believe there is still a need for:
- Bedding/blankets/pillows
- Undergarments for men, women and children
- Towels/facecloths
- diapers/wipes
- Strollers, highchairs, collapsible playpen
- Toiletries (especially toothbrushes and paste)
- Feminine hygiene products
- Sweat pants/shirts
- Kids toys (plush or plastic)
- Backpacks/Rubbermaid containers
- Pharmaceuticals (Tylenol, Band-Aids, contact solution, polysporin, diabetic testers, etc)
- Pet kennels/leashes/bowls/toys

They have also suggested gift cards for various stores in the Westlock/Athabasca area as an alternative option. Local stores include: Esso, Husky, Fas Gas, Extra Foods, Boston Pizza, A & W, UFA, Subway, Max Fuel, Tags, Shell, Sobeys, KFC, Ramzie's, McDonalds, and more.

Crystal Glass locations Alberta wide are also accepting cash donations and can mail out tax receipts. Cheques can be made out to the E.E.R.S.S (Edmonton Emergency Relief Services Society). Redcross will do the same through their website: Alberta Fires- Canadian Red Cross
Or TELUS customers can text "REDCROSS" to 30333 to donate $5 (max 6 texts per phone)

Please wishing to volunteer within Edmonton can contact the E.E.R.S.S (10255 104st 780-428-4422), or call the Athabasca Multiplex (780-675-2967) or Westlock Community Hall (780-307-5578) for more information.

Please give whatever you can! And not just now but in the coming months when more support will be needed.
:)

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Just spoke to Mike270412 he is on his way to Athabasca right now. They are OUT OF FOOD at the shelter there. So for those donating today & tonight, we need lots of food!

So much for the news saying things like "they have too much stuff"... Thats a load of BS that they should be talking about. almost half that town burnt down they NEED to take as much as possible... You cant tell me all thsoe people that now have NOTHING dont need anything! MORE EVERYTHING PEOPLE! anything helps! Could you imagine starting over from scratch? The more clothes the better... the more EVERYTHING the better!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
So much for the news saying things like "they have too much stuff"... Thats a load of BS that they should be talking about. almost half that town burnt down they NEED to take as much as possible... You cant tell me all thsoe people that now have NOTHING dont need anything! MORE EVERYTHING PEOPLE! anything helps! Could you imagine starting over from scratch? The more clothes the better... the more EVERYTHING the better!

ALMOST everything.... unfortunately some people use this as an excuse to unload thier crap, people without homes don't need a ripped leather couch, an ugly old glass wall clock or an ironing board... they need food, water, deoderant, diapers, blankets, clothes, etc...

I bet some of those folks at the shelter would kill for a beer...

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
ALMOST everything.... unfortunately some people use this as an excuse to unload thier crap, people without homes don't need a ripped leather couch, an ugly old glass wall clock or an ironing board... they need food, water, deoderant, diapers, blankets, clothes, etc...

I bet some of those folks at the shelter would kill for a beer...

Good point. I was just trying to say if you have a bag full of good stuff you were planning on bringing... Dont worry about wether or not they are going to be able to use it!

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A local gas station in Westlock, is hosting a fund raiser BBQ this Saturday
May 21 2011. 100% of the money raised is going to the Slave Lake Relief Fund, through F.C.C.S. It's all you can eat hot dogs or hamburgers. I am going to ask if they need any volunteers, cause me and some family members will be there. Come by if your in the area, and help the cause. Attached is the flyer they gave me. :d

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 263

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Arff's trailer is headed to Athabasca

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
We have this 20ft enclosed trailer and we are in the Lacombe/Red Deer area, I would like to see it filled with clothes and non pershibles to take up. How can we go about this. Kelly's brother lost everything and we want to help anyway we can.

Let me know if anyone here wants to donate and we can take it up.

Beth (Kelly's wife)

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
WOW just like that I have no trailer room left, she's booked full. Thanks to everyone for all the help, I'm sure it is going along way in alot of people's hearts and won't go unforgotten.:beer:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We finished at home depot on 17 St and whitemud. We got about 3/4 of a 28' enclosed. Lots of great items
Even dog and cat food. A good selection of non perishable foods. Baby food, diapers, toys, etc. We raised $ 1531 in cash.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
We finished at home depot on 17 St and whitemud. We got about 3/4 of a 28' enclosed. Lots of great items
Even dog and cat food. A good selection of non perishable foods. Baby food, diapers, toys, etc. We raised $ 1531 in cash.

Jeebus there over $1500 in that jug???......all I can say is wow there was some good folks dropping some big bills in there

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about everything that has happened up there. I know I'm in the southeastern part of Sask, but it sure makes me feel good that there is a community online like this one that can team together and make a huge difference. Hats off to all that have helped and donated.

Now i have another question. I keep hearing on the news of how bad it is. I know it is bad, but is it that bad that they are saying that it could be weeks, yes weeks, until they are gonna let people back into the town? I myself as a homeowner would go into a mental depression not being able to know if my home was destroyed or damaged for weeks.

Again, hats off to you all!!!

Top Bottom