Slave Lake Fires

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
keeping this at the top, as many of us head out to enjoy our first summer long weekend of the year lots of people are camping not by choice but by necessity...

Wayne and crew are back at it again at the spruce walmart collecting goods, food is the priority right now, and they may need people willing to tow a trailer or two to westlock or athabasca... many #'s has done more than his fair share and should be commended as he takes a much deserved weekend with family.

john deere

Reaction score
Wayne is on his way to athabasca right now...after work i will take the second load up...seems to be still coming in strong so we will have to see what the weekend brings...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keeping this at the top, as many of us head out to enjoy our first summer long weekend of the year lots of people are camping not by choice but by necessity...

Wayne and crew are back at it again at the spruce walmart collecting goods, food is the priority right now, and they may need people willing to tow a trailer or two to westlock or athabasca... many #'s has done more than his fair share and should be commended as he takes a much deserved weekend with family.

and the news was saying this am on the radio that the red cross is no longer accepting anything but money donations as they already have way more than they need. what a load of bs.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
and the news was saying this am on the radio that the red cross is no longer accepting anything but money donations as they already have way more than they need. what a load of bs.

they are out of touch with the situation....

john deere

Reaction score
It looks like the run is done for now.the last trailer is almost loaded. Athabasca has had alot of big trucks in today and more on the way... So we have decided to deleiver the last trailer ...hopefully tommorow...or tuesday....alot has been done through this small idea that turned out huge results...At last count we ,along with the help of everyone who donated,,loaded ,unloaded ,hauled ,donated trailers ,........all of it...We have filled 10....28 foot sled trailers and two full 53 foot dry vans,,with cloths food and almost anything you could use in you house....eveyone is pretty wore down and it looks like most people are taking off for the weekend for some much needed RandR...So for now or until futher notice ..WE are done ,so THANKS to everyone who played a part in this, helping hand for the folks at SLAVE LAKE....and if it is called for we can always do it again...so from spruce grove THANKS and SEE YA...GOOD LUCK

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
It's not that they don't need anything the issue is that people are dropping off everything including the kitchen sink. I was going to phrase that "everything but there kitchen sink" but I'm sure there's a few of those included. Sorting the items takes time. Even more time if they can't move because there stuffed. People are picking up items as well but they need duffle bags and a way to carry everything.
Some new items like socks, underwear and new clothing is nice as it can go right to the front

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A huge heart felt THANK YOU to all the peeps at snow and mud for your help during this trying time from the O'Neill Family

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A local gas station in Westlock, is hosting a fund raiser BBQ this Saturday
May 21 2011. 100% of the money raised is going to the Slave Lake Relief Fund, through F.C.C.S. It's all you can eat hot dogs or hamburgers. I am going to ask if they need any volunteers, cause me and some family members will be there. Come by if your in the area, and help the cause. Attached is the flyer they gave me. :d

Bringing this back up for anyone in the area tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 192

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
A local gas station in Westlock, is hosting a fund raiser BBQ this Saturday
May 21 2011. 100% of the money raised is going to the Slave Lake Relief Fund, through F.C.C.S. It's all you can eat hot dogs or hamburgers. I am going to ask if they need any volunteers, cause me and some family members will be there. Come by if your in the area, and help the cause. Attached is the flyer they gave me. :d

Bump for Mare :beer:

Good to see everyone still pullin' together. Going to be a long haul for most :(

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at the BBQ In Westlock today. Little rain but we need it. This was just as they opened. People were sitting in the parking lot, waiting for them to open.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306014072.282410.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306014072.282410.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...on behalf of my family, friends and all of the people from Slave Lake...all I can say is WOW and a heartfelt thank you! You all truly have touched our hearts. I tried to get on here numerous times but have been literally swamped with trying to keep tabs on our employee's and checking on our facility in Mitsue industrial park. I am so very fortunate to not have lost our home and in many ways almost feel guilty as others have lost so much! The financial loss, mental anguish and the fear of our future as a town and community has been impacted beyond words and we truly have some very difficult times ahead! The loss is imeasurable in many ways but life is the most precious of all and to the family of the helicopter pilot that passed away in trying to save our community....our hearts are so heavy with packing the burden of your loss...truly...as i was in the Athabsaca multi-plex...people were literally crying when we found out that a person unknown to our town from BC gave his life in an effort to save our homes! The outpouring of support from everyone has been overwhelming! I have always been proud to be Albertan, and a Canadian but i need to tell you...the efforts and outpouring of support has only made me even prouder and for those of you that have been working tirelessly in trying to help everyone in any way..you all should be extrmely proud! I must apologize for not responding sooner to all of you. I can tell you all that your efforts have not gone unnoticed and I generally am not a man of being stuck for words but for anyone that has seen the trailer loads of clothing and food....it brings tears to ones eyes! You all are such amazing people!

To make matters worse as Haggis stated a very close personal friend of mine and hot rodder passed away the same morning of the fire. Sunday will be a day that many will remeber a lifetime. The fire came so fast we never even had a chance to pack stuff up never mind greiving over the loss of my friend and we were trying to rush his wife away to safety! His funeral is slated for Tuesday in Westlock.

As stated we lost so much and I must say that the family at Snow and Mud has been just unreal as others as well have. I had co-workers who lost homes, family members and so many friends that have nothing to go back to that it leaves one numb. I have been in Athabsca since day 1 and to the people of this town and comunity...you truly have an amazing town. They even have gone so far as to print t-shirts that say "I love Slave Lake" and will be donating the proceeds to help our town rebuild! We have heard and seen testimonials from other communities such as Westlock, Edmonton and pretty much accross Canada....simply amazing. One thing I would like to ask is that if all Slave Lakers on Snow and Mud would contact me as I would like to have a get together one day with all of you. Maybe we could all have a get together one day!

Slave Lake will rise from the ashes because of the people that live there but it will be so much easier due to all the efforts of people like you all! Seriously...you all have touched so many peoples lives...you have no idea!

We have 2 German shorthair pointers and having to try and cope with their annimosity, our own feelings and try and make sense of everything that hit us so fast was mind boggling beyond comprehension. The people of Athabasca even set up an animal shelter at the multi plex and to top it all off Heather and John from "The Dog Cottage" here in Atahbasca run their own kennel and asked if they could take our dogs!...and that is on top of the other 17 they have taken in!...plus they adopted 2 that were sure to be eutanized! Heather works a full time job and then would hit the multi-plex cleaning cages and walking dogs until 4 in the morning and then sleep maybe 2 or 3 hours and go back to work!...she has been doing this for 6 days while John looks after all the dogs at their kennel and will not take any money from anyone in Slave Lake! They will not accept a cent from anyone that has animals from Slave Lake...so if one wanted to help Heather and John out some way with somethiong for their kennels that would be amazing. I could write a book about the last 6 days about hero's that live amongst us and am contemplating doing so....but to name hero's would be so difficult to do as you all are hero's for what you've done! Thank you members of Snow And Mud..I will live a lifetime of trying to pay it forward for all you've done!

I will get back on in the near future but please...feel so humbled by what you have done for my town, friends, family and the citizens of Slave Lake and if there is one peice of advice that I can offer you all...is to make sure you ALL have insurance and that you update your policies yearly! It is heart wretching to see what some people are living through by not having even basic insurance and makes one sick to the stomach knowing they have nothing and an uncertin future relying on handouts to make ends meet!

Thank you Snow and Mudders...sleep tonight knowing you've made a change in so many people's lives! I tip my hat to you all! Thank you all so very very much!!!!!

BADSS - Ray Juneau

Last edited:

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...on behalf of my family, friends and all of the people from Slave Lake...all I can say is WOW and a heartfelt thank you! You all truly have touched our hearts. I tried to get on here numerous times but have been literally swamped with trying to keep tabs on our employee's and checking on our facility in Mitsue industrial park. I am so very fortunate to not have lost our home and in many ways almost feel guilty as others have lost so much! The financial loss, mental anguish and the fear of our future as a town and community has been impacted beyond words and we truly have some very difficult times ahead! The loss is imeasurable in many ways but life is the most precious of all and to the family of the helicopter pilot that passed away in trying to save our community....our hearts are so heavy with packing the burden of your loss...truly...as i was in the Athabsaca multi-plex...people were literally crying when we found out that a person unknown to our town from BC gave his life in an effort to save our homes! The outpouring of support from everyone has been overwhelming! I have always been proud to be Albertan, and a Canadian but i need to tell you...the efforts and outpouring of support has only made me even prouder and for those of you that have been working tirelessly in trying to help everyone in any way..you all should be extrmely proud! I must apologize for not responding sooner to all of you. I can tell you all that your efforts have not gone unnoticed and I generally am not a man of being stuck for words but for anyone that has seen the trailer loads of clothing and food....it brings tears to ones eyes! You all are such amazing people!

To make matters worse as Haggis stated a very close personal friend of mine and hot rodder passed away the same morning of the fire. Sunday will be a day that many will remeber a lifetime. The fire came so fast we never even had a chance to pack stuff up never mind greiving over the loss of my friend and we were trying to rush his wife away to safety! His funeral is slated for Tuesday in Westlock.

As stated we lost so much and I must say that the family at Snow and Mud has been just unreal as others as well have. I had co-workers who lost homes, family members and so many friends that have nothing to go back to that it leaves one numb. I have been in Athabsca since day 1 and to the people of this town and comunity...you truly have an amazing town. They even have gone so far as to print t-shirts that say "I love Slave Lake" and will be donating the proceeds to help our town rebuild! We have heard and seen testimonials from other communities such as Westlock, Edmonton and pretty much accross Canada....simply amazing. One thing I would like to ask is that if all Slave Lakers on Snow and Mud would contact me as I would like to have a get together one day with all of you. Maybe we could all have a get together one day!

Slave Lake will rise from the ashes because of the people that live there but it will be so much easier due to all the efforts of people like you all! Seriously...you all have touched so many peoples lives...you have no idea!

We have 2 German shorthair pointers and having to try and cope with their annimosity, our own feelings and try and make sense of everything that hit us so fast was mind boggling beyond comprehension. The people of Athabasca even set up an animal shelter at the multi plex and to top it all off Heather and John from "The Dog Cottage" here in Atahbasca run their own kennel and asked if they could take our dogs!...and that is on top of the other 17 they have taken in!...plus they adopted 2 that were sure to be eutanized! Heather works a full time job and then would hit the multi-plex cleaning cages and walking dogs until 4 in the morning and then sleep maybe 2 or 3 hours and go back to work!...she has been doing this for 6 days while John looks after all the dogs at their kennel and will not take any money from anyone in Slave Lake! They will not accept a cent from anyone that has animals from Slave Lake...so if one wanted to help Heather and John out some way with somethiong for their kennels that would be amazing. I could write a book about the last 6 days about hero's that live amongst us and am contemplating doing so....but to name hero's would be so difficult to do as you all are hero's for what you've done! Thank you members of Snow And Mud..I will live a lifetime of trying to pay it forward for all you've done!

I will get back on in the near future but please...feel so humbled by what you have done for my town, friends, family and the citizens of Slave Lake and if there is one peice of advice that I can offer you all...is to make sure you ALL have insurance and that you update your policies yearly! It is heart wretching to see what some people are living through by not having even basic insurance and makes one sick to the stomach knowing they have nothing and an uncertin future relying on handouts to make ends meet!

Thank you Snow and Mudders...sleep tonight knowing you've made a change in so many people's lives! I tip my hat to you all! Thank you all so very very much!!!!!

BADSS - Ray Juneau

GLAD to hear You and your Family are alright.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

BADSS - Ray Juneau

Thanks for those words Ray. We all wonder how the people can handle what has happened to their lives and are more than willing to help when we can. Snow and Mudders are caring people and the Slave Lake Fires will just be another item on the list of issues we have helped with over the years. Our good wishes go out to you and the other people from Slave Lake and we all will be here to help till all the people are back in their new homes and settled in.

Good luck take care and keep us informed on your progress.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pics of my house

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 271
  • house2.jpg
    house2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 277
  • house3.jpg