Side by Side vs. Quad

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Hey, new to the forum.......Not sure if my search function is not working, if the way I entered the text is finding nothing or if this question has just not been asked before but I did honestly try before posting this!!!

I am looking to purchase either a new quad or a side by side for use in the Calgary off road areas....mostly McLean Creek. My riding will be a mix of solo as well as riding with my wife and 5 year old son. While I will be more aggressive when riding solo with the guys as I would with the family I am forced to take it easy medically due to a dirt bike injury two years ago that I've just recovered from where I destroyed my right wrist.

Some of my concerns/questions are...

Is there any restrictions on side by sides? I don't want to buy one then find out they are on the verge of being outlawed.

Is there any reason a quad would be better than a side by side and vice versa.

Can a side by side access the same terrain as a quad or are they restricted to "less tight" paths.

I'm sure I will come up with many more questions as time goes on but thanks for the input so far!!

Cheers,
Dean

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any thing can get closed down if no one fights for it, you would be surprised how tight a trail the sxs can fit down. They can climb steeper and haul a ton of stuff at the same time, however they do not like fallen trees about 6 feet in the air so pack a saw. A quad can fit in a pickup but a sxs is a problem a trailer is almost a must. However I do pack mine in my truck at times. Taking your kid and wife in a sxs is not a problem, and you can take a barbeque too if you wanted.

Billydozer56

Reaction score
I have this conversation a lot with my friends, I have a quad it works well for me. I ride solo and take the better half only a few times a year. with power steering it's nice. But for yourself you might find a sxs more versatile. There are lots of models and more coming every year, you can get a 2 seater quad with power steering, that would be easy on your wrist. There are sxs's that carry 4 people, 3 people and 2 of course. if you have a long box truck you can carry some of them around without risers with some models. I ride with guys on sxs's all the time. we all go through the same trails. Quads tend to be a little more affordable. For me a quad works well, But it sounds like if i was in your shoes I would lean toward the sxs, If you think you will see alot of muskeg quads are much easier to winch out lol. i'm also 6'6 with long legs, my king quad is more comfortable for me. the last rally I was at, there was probably 60-40 split quads and sxs. alot of dads brought the wife and kids.

cheers

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating sxs but will probably go with a 50" as I would rent it to company to access remote sites and have one in particular that is gnarly with lots of blow down. Have a quad right now but would like to bring wife on adventures too.

How are 50" sxs's for going over stumps, logs and crap vs 60"? Less ground clearance but sometimes less a arm might be a benefit too?

I never thought about fallen trees that are head height. Good point. Wildcat may earn a point in my tally that way!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a RZR XC LE. Basically its a 50" stance SxS with off set wheels giving it approx. 55" of stance. I put a 2" lift on it and removed the stabilizer bars at both ends. The wheel's are also a little larger then the standard RZR.
I have had no problem's on ATV trails the unit fits and only turning radius isn't as good but only noticeable in the tightest trails.
I have own both ATV's and now a SxS, and the SxS is definitely more functional for multi passenger or multi day excursion's. The ride is also better then the average ATV cause of the larger wheel base.

The 60" generally will have a better ride because of the longer A-arms thus more suspension travel and depending on unit might be more stable and yes a little bit better clearance but on certain trail's such as ATV trail's they can be a PITA. It really depends on what your looking for, if your primary use is with other SxS then maybe the 60" is best. If your going to ride with more ATVs then the 50" might be the answer.
It basically comes to personal preference and application thus why i choose an XC. Its a nice compromise, i can pack all my gear for a multiday trip and its compact enough to fit most all atv trail's yet maintian's great performance on open logging roads...where you see most of the larger SxS.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and post so far!!!

I like the idea of a SXS and LOVE the mods and look but am worried that I will not be able to haul my trailer (40 feet) and a SXS eliminating the possibility of overnight trips. The quad will allow me to load it in the back of the truck and haul the trailer but makes riding with the family less "comfortable." On the other hand, I am not sure how much they are going to be coming out with me which makes a quad more sense.

Do any of you ride with a friend on a quad in a SXS by yourself? Any issues or regrets? if you could do it again would you have done anything differently?

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haul my SxS and tow my trailer, but had to purchase a rack for my truck box. Works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1425689308.688249.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1425689308.688249.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 293

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and post so far!!!

I like the idea of a SXS and LOVE the mods and look but am worried that I will not be able to haul my trailer (40 feet) and a SXS eliminating the possibility of overnight trips. The quad will allow me to load it in the back of the truck and haul the trailer but makes riding with the family less "comfortable." On the other hand, I am not sure how much they are going to be coming out with me which makes a quad more sense.

Do any of you ride with a friend on a quad in a SXS by yourself? Any issues or regrets? if you could do it again would you have done anything differently?

ok please expand on the 40 ft trailer! a bumper pull or 5h wheel? may help with the comments. your family may come out more if you have a SxS, they are safer, more stable, can carry more than a quad, there is a reason you see so many SxS's out there. rode quad for yrs, SxS is the way to go.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
It's a 40 foot bumper pull. I do like the idea of the rack.

Agreed that would likely come more if I had a SxS and I could carry more gear but I have not been out there for a few years so I am not sure how many SxS are out there or how well they work. They were just starting to gain traction when I was out last

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a 40 foot bumper pull. I do like the idea of the rack.

Agreed that would likely come more if I had a SxS and I could carry more gear but I have not been out there for a few years so I am not sure how many SxS are out there or how well they work. They were just starting to gain traction when I was out last

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

bumper pull. leaves out a B-train, so a rack may work you will have to find weight limits etc. SxS's are generally becoming dominate in the market, but o can make that final decision for yourself.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On your original post you mention that you would like the ability or ask about access to tight trail's. That kinda puts a 50" SxS as your best option.
The 50" SxS will fit directly into an 8ft pickup box and the wheels don't sit on the tail gate. You just cannot close the gate cause of the SxS wheel diameter.
Unless you own half a truck, a 50" will fit no issue.
I put mine in the box and have tow numerous times.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As much as im not a sxs fan for what you want to do with family and being their myself at one time a sxs would be your best option. When i first started quading i had the gf and kid on my machine. It was really no fun for me with all that extra weight on the machine. Now the gf has her own and my little one still rides with me. The other thing as well with that many people on one machine is its really not all that safe and you may/will have problems if spotted by local law enforcement.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice so far!! I think I am going to start seriously looking at a SxS....especially if I can fit it in my 8 foot box. In the end, if the wife does come out all the time I can get her a quad. As for my son.....I'm sure he will have one in a few years anyway!!

No I just have to find the right one. Does anyone have any experience with bringing them up from the US? I was in the classifieds at desert racing and have found WAY better machines for WAY less than here. I would assume bringing them across the border would not be the same as a car as they are off road only.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice so far!! I think I am going to start seriously looking at a SxS....especially if I can fit it in my 8 foot box. In the end, if the wife does come out all the time I can get her a quad. As for my son.....I'm sure he will have one in a few years anyway!!

No I just have to find the right one. Does anyone have any experience with bringing them up from the US? I was in the classifieds at desert racing and have found WAY better machines for WAY less than here. I would assume bringing them across the border would not be the same as a car as they are off road only.

with the dollar at $0.80 US I can't imagine it still being worth it. Check riv.ca and it will have all the info you need. there are still lots of loopholes and stuff to jump thru when importing a unit from the US.

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
with the dollar at $0.80 US I can't imagine it still being worth it. Check riv.ca and it will have all the info you need. there are still lots of loopholes and stuff to jump thru when importing a unit from the US.

Actually, even with the exchange it is well worth it. Some of the UTV's at big time modded with after market suspensions, piston kits, bead lockers, stereo's with subs, body kits, etc....I even found one with an LS7 engine!!! Most of these come in at the 10-20 mark.....some are way less some are way more but you can get a generously modded one in the price range I stated. Plus, you get a guys trip to the LA area.....may as well spend a few days in the desert with your new toy!!!

As for RIV Canada, UTV's are not currently controlled....ATV's are but UTV's are not. All you have to do is roll up to the border, show your bill of sale, pay your GST and head home.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other thing is the two up quad also.
I have the 800 max and is great for two people.
Don't even know a passenger is riding .
Have a SXS also but for tighter trails the max gets my vote .
Seen a 2010 ltd on KIJIJI for $8000 with low Kms .

Gsxrgrizz

Reaction score
Here is an example of one listed for 10,500.

2010 RZR Robby Gordon Edition 800 UPGRADES Bikeman Turbo kit,
Dyno Jet Autotuner, Power Commander 5 programmer and LCD Display unit
Upgraded Bikeman Stage 2 Clutch,forged pistons, billet throttle body,
upgraded Crank etc etc etc.. everything Bikeman suggested to use with the
Turbo Dragon Bench seats and harness front and rear Custom Roll cage
with solid side panels NO TRADE'S please

Now 15,500

2011 Polaris RZR XP-900 EFI, Alba racing stage 2 performance kit
+20HP! 58.9 hours, 827 miles. Red & black (the garage picture is dusty
after the dunes, not faded) Stock dirt tires, Sand tires unlimited paddle
tires on DWT 6061 (190) black rims, light bar, lighted whip, custom roll
cage, Twisted Stitch bucket seats, Beard 5 point harnesses, belt
temperature guage, electric horn, K&N intake, Flow Master exhaust, with.
Bike man performance header! I also have upgrade cams and fuel controller
but are not installed, this is part of the stage 2 kit, I never installed
because the engine was still within the break in stage) $15,000 well
maintained and a blast to drive, keeps up with sand rails in the big dunes!
The ultimate Glamis machine for the money!

And finally.....PRICE REDUCED: $22,900.00
Colors: White, Black, and Red Miles:
1107 Hours: 71 Pro Armor Roll Cage and Aluminum Roof; Black Pro Armor
Formula Suede Steering Wheel and Steering Wheel Hub Pro Armor 5pt 3" Black
Harnesses Pro Armor G2 Seats Black and White with Red Stitched Logo Pro
Armor Spare Tire Mount Pro Armor Racing Front Bumper; Black with Black
Skid Plate Pro Armor Rear Bumper; Black Pro Armor Front A Arm Armor and
Trailing Arm Armor Stereo with 2 Speakers and a Sub Polaris GPS
Unit Assault UTV Radius Rods and Shift Knob Temp Gage 2015 Upgraded
Clutch Kit Maxxis Bighorn Tires

Even with the trip built in IMO it's worth it.

10-4

Reaction score
We had the same discussion in our house last year. With two kids 2 and 4 last year. We had 1 quad and I wanted to make it a family event. We decided against SXS as neither of us want to be a passenger. As for kids on the back, have wrap around tool box with ropes for them to hold on to. And I can feel the visor of the 2 year old hit my back when he falls asleep!

finndoo

Reaction score
I have had quads for 20 years and love them but now I have two young kids. I don't mind taking one of them on my quad but not both. My wife says I can do whatever I want.....as long as I have both kids with me. So this past December I bought a commander xtp and rear seats with roll bars for it. Now I can safely take both kids with me, and I guess the wife can sometimes come with us.

Top Bottom