Shopping For First Sled

bkoz

Reaction score
Budgeting for an 08 and up. Probably a XP but open to other's. Any suggestions on what wear points to watch for? I am leery of used sleds with tampered odo's.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
06 summit 800 151. New top end last season | snowmobiles | Prince George | Kijiji

Its an 06 summit rev...not an xp. Some say its easier to handle then an xp some say vice versa.

If you do go xp though try and get a 11 or 12 whenever it is that they stopped making them.

I too was in your position last year and was told to get the newest 'version' of the xp in order to get the more reliable machine (better clutching etc)

PM me if your interested

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Budgeting for an 08 and up. Probably a XP but open to other's. Any suggestions on what wear points to watch for? I am leery of used sleds with tampered odo's.

you have a budget your working with

Dustylane

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Sumit XP with 1800 miles on it in excellent condition, This past January i put a 2.5" Camo Extreme track, MBRP Can, Billet thermostat, Went up 2 teeth on both sprockets, Rave Mod Kit, New Clutch Kit (Dean at Mod Motorsports Clutch Kit), new V-force 3 reeds, Vent Kit and Linq jerry can, All the work was done by Dean at Mad Motorsports. Comes with travel cover to.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The XP have a few common areas to check out for damage. The S module under the sled that is a cast piece can be damaged or tweaked. A small tweak isn't an issue but can sometimes result in the shock hitting the a-arm. I have never seen a used sled without at least a little tweak. The motor mounts wear out quick on all the XP sleds. Hard to tell without removing the motor. Chances are if it has 1500 or more miles on it the mounts have started to wear out. The lower left chassis/engine mount bolts break. It is very hard to see. It is where the starter is located. Usually one or two of the three bolts is broken. Throttle cables fray on the 09.

On a higher mileage sled I would check the crank runout. Even new sleds can sometimes have a questionable amount of run out. The clutches should be fresh or recently gone through. I rebuild mine every season. Sometimes twice.

X edition sleds have shocks that can be rebuilt. They are a better quality shock than the entry level sleds. Look for obvious track damage. The 08 and 09 both had a heavily ported track which lead to tears. The early 08 had the challenger lite track which was horrible. I haven't seen one in a few years. They all ripped in half.

Things like hand warmer elements wear out, the hi fax (sliders) will show signs of wear. Look at the wear bars. Other than checking for other obvious damage those sleds are pretty bomb proof.

I see a few posts of sleds for sale. I am not sure at the moment but I may be selling my 09 154. Brand new motor put in last winter with two rides on it. It is the updated block with updated crank. Rebuilt 08 and 09 wouldn't have this. Has updated camp 2.5" track. All motor mounts done, throttle cable, have two new coils to put on it. It will come with some extras once I know for sure it is going. It's been the girlfriends sled the last three years but I may end up riding something else this year and she can have my etec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like riding a 4x8 sheet of plywood and having to rebuild your engine every few thousand km, you will love the xp. What is your Budget?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Heres a nice one!
I'm sure he will post soon lol

Thanks for the thoughts. I was waiting for budget and if he is looking of an '08 at the bottom end, this may be out of his reach budget wise.

He could read the thread and see that I am an honest person and sell items in great shape. We doo look after our stuff and it is dependable.

bkoz

Reaction score
My budget is around $8k.

takethebounce, thanks for the post, good info.

And I am not tied to the XP. It is just the sled I have the most experience with and the guys who I sled with are all past XP owners (XM riders now). I have ridden Polaris RMK's, and liked them, but the issues with the 800's are scary in a used sled. I know nothing about Artic Cats.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bounces sled is nice, and he's so anal lol

Also the 2010 xp had stock cheese grader tracks like the 08-09.... I have a 10 and knew it was possible to wreck the track through the holes.... Figured it will not happen not me.... Well 3 rides and ripped ect...

Also if u want it easyer to maneuver, find one with the S36 kit in it.... There's lots of cheap easy mods to do to them after if need be

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too bad. fella around the corner from me here had his 08 xp 154 on kijiji for 5200. had a whopping 600k. for that price a person could do some cool upgrades and have a next to new sled. add is gone now but hope you find a gooder. snow be comin' gents!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My budget is around $8k.

takethebounce, thanks for the post, good info.

And I am not tied to the XP. It is just the sled I have the most experience with and the guys who I sled with are all past XP owners (XM riders now). I have ridden Polaris RMK's, and liked them, but the issues with the 800's are scary in a used sled. I know nothing about Artic Cats.

Here's one in your price range. Very good sled, very good value, very low km's. It's my son's sled, but don't let that scare you. :D He didn't ride it, it was his girlfriends. Do a little research and you'll find Cat has the most reliable 800 in your price range.

If you're interested Pm me for his phone number.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$8000 is a good budget for a used sled. You may even find a 2011 etec if you are willing to wait for one.

There is a 11 free ride on kijiji for $7000. That's a great price. I would still check the crank run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like riding a 4x8 sheet of plywood and having to rebuild your engine every few thousand km, you will love the xp. What is your Budget?
If you post a response like this you probably just ride men....

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you post a response like this you probably just ride men....

HMMMMM!! I tell you what I do ride, and that's the mountains. Which i know i ride way more than you. How is it living in Camrose anyway, good sledding?? I was just simply stating the truth about the XP sled and curious about buddies budget. With an $8000 budget there are some great deals out there on all makes.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the others have said, if your set on a XP get an 11 or 12 etec. I didn't know anything about cats either but once I switched I will have a hard time going to something else but if I did it would be an XM. All my buddies ride them and they flat out rock!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a good look at the RMK pros, there are a few to choose from in that price range and they are great riding sleds, I suggest riding the sleds your most interested in and see which you like most, then do a little research on the problems and issues as well as the costs to rectify the more common issues that they all have. Most importantly be happy with the choice you make get out and ride the hell out of it!!... Good luck

bkoz

Reaction score
I have looked at a couple sleds but nothing has caught my eye yet.

What is the relationship between engine hours and kms? How many hours does it on average take to get to 1000kms?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a couple sleds but nothing has caught my eye yet.

What is the relationship between engine hours and kms? How many hours does it on average take to get to 1000kms?
Impossible to figure this out in the mountains, all depends on the operator. Not like boats where they just get a sustained RPM for an hour or so cruising the lake and can't gauge the mileage, sleds have an ODO. Its all about the miles and I would be very leary about buying a sled when they reported the engine hours specifically and not the miles. For sleds - Some guys will have high hours but low mileage, and others will have lots of miles and lower hours. Depends on where you ride, how you ride etc. One spot we go is 48 kms back on the roads (one way - so about 90 kms on the round trip, not including off trail miles), but the miles go quick at 70 kms/hr, most days we are in the trees at 20-30 km/hr probably on average. Go on overall sled condition and miles. You could have 2 sleds with 1000 kms on them and near the same hours, one would be mint and the other might be ratbagged. The bagged one could have been held wide open for 900 kms and the mint one might only have ever seen 100 kms wide open. If you are looking at a sled and the track is all tore up, plastics are damaged, its covered in belt dust under the hood, things are bent or broken, etc, you will have a pretty good indication of how hard the sled was ridden. Mountain riding is hard on sleds, there is lots of sustained full throttle, compared to out east, mountain sleds are run wayyyyyy harder and stay wide open for wayyyyy longer.

Top Bottom