we are moving to St albert
for a package of house phone + internet + TV
which one ?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have Optic TV with Telus.
Home phone is only for fax machine.

Seems ok but for any type of racing NHRA , dirt bikes , NASCAR it kind of sucks.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Switched from shaw to Telus and it seems better. Not into the motor sports so not an issue for me. Ditched the home phone as well just pointless to have it unless you like talking to call centres from India trying to sell you chit or you like taking random surveys!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have the shaw bundle. Have to unplug the wifi once a week to reboot or something stupid like that. Can't get Telus optic in our sub division yet. I think we will switch when it's available. By the time you bundle your package the phone package is basically free and the grandparents call all the time to talk to the kids, so for some people phones are nice.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear about Telus Optic as it is now available to me.

I like having a home phone, I never give my cell number out. Businesses, doctor, dentist, appointment reminders etc, I don't want any of it going to my cell.

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Either are fine. Both will leapfrop each other on technology, but regardless you will get similar service from either.

They make you buy equipment (or rent it) and that usually makes you stick to a provider. TELUS has better choice for TV channels as you can pick several al la carte as opposed to bundles that include ones you never watch.

Internet speed and throughput from either are similar. If you have fibre access, options are available for speed. Rule of thumb, 15-25mbps good for 2 people and streaming to 1 or 2 devices. 25-50mbps good for family of 4-5 with 3-4 streaming devices. More bandwidth than that is just for faster downloads or more capacity (more people using).

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending where you are in relation to the transceivers, Telus may or may not be adequate for you. The further away you are, the slower and less reliable your connection will be. St. Albert has acknowledged this to be a problem, for many businesses in particular, but has no action plan for upgrade of services where ADSL performance is just not adequate and where Shaw is not yet available. Telus has also had issues overselling their services in some areas and then not having the infrastructure to support the number of connections they sell. I work in Riell Business park and have 0.6Mb/s up and 6Mb/s down MAX! - pathetic for a business of any size with no option to go faster due to the nature of DSL and where we are located.

If you have a choice, definitely go with Shaw! Wireless issues aside, Shaw, in many cases, will be a lot more reliable and potentially more performant than Telus but the converse is rarely true. I have found some Shaw wireless routers to be excellent and some to be a bit problematic - if it were to ever become a concern, just buy your own higher quality wireless router and you'll probably never look back. I know few people who have been more satisfied with Telus over Shaw overall. You will probably not like Telus Optic or its service quality over Shaw Cable either.

That said, if you have the choice of getting Telus service over fiber, I'd definitely give serious thought to that option.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found Shaw to be more reliable and not as hungry to lock you into contracts

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i lived in town i had telus optic and my neighbor had shaw, comparable planes and internet speeds and he ended up canceling his shaw internet cause it was always down and or slow, he piggy backed my wifi and it was still better. I am also a pvr whore so being able to record i think it was 5 shows at once was pretty sweet, and all the boxes in your house shared the pvr so anyone could watch a recorded show.

oh and if you play your cards right you can get home phone for basically free with the optic since the system needs it any way. i plugged a phone in and called my cell got the number and used it for a year like that till i moved, never payed a dime for it. just no fancy features just pnone.

Last edited:

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI for those are already with Telus. Shaw has a big deal on right now that you can get Internet 150 + TV for $75 for 12 months and then $126 for the second year. I called Telus and they matched the price no questions asked for the next 12 months. $50/month savings on my existing bundle and I go from Internet 25 to 150.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly Cable has more potential than ADSL when it comes down to bandwidth

Both your upload and Downloads should be higher on a similar package with shaw.

If i had the choice i would use Shaw over Telus given alternatives.

Telus has come along ways in the Download/upload game but they are just now seeing speeds similar to what i had in college with shaw over 10 years ago

as far as phone they both do phone now if you want it.

Top Bottom