telus vs Koodo

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am currently with Telus, looking at Koodo. Phone bills are getting out of hand. Any thoughts?

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am currently with Telus, looking at Koodo. Phone bills are getting out of hand. Any thoughts?
I switched about 2 years ago, ported my #. I was Telus faithful for years. My son who hunts, sleds etc.. with me a lot when in remote areas was with Koodo and our phones started picking up the messages at the same time pretty much. They use the same towers. My bill dropped in half and got 4 x the data. Pretty painless to switch. If you are looking for deals on phones - black friday (s) and back to school sales seem to be the best times.

overkill19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from India…. My Telus’s bill was $480 for the month… I bought a phone and a 1.5g per day plan, it was $3.89 a month.
Phone was a cheap android for $150
We get rained off soo bad here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
13 gb $40 per month with Koodo. Bought a cheap used Iphone 12Pro (mint) -$400 outright from Koodo. Just have to watch for great promotions. It is Telus owned, just a different name. Bill never goes up-unlike Telus. Can change providers anytime ,with no penalty.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Koodo is a Telus brand, same towers and same coverage.

We've been with Koodo for a couple years now, no issues. I honestly prefer the online self service of Koodo to the foreign call centers of Telus. And if you do actually need a person to talk to, I've found the Koodo tech support much more knowledgeable.

You missed the good deals on Black Friday, but I think they have good deals again on Boxing Day. We are on a monthly bring your own device plan (no contract), so I check in about every 6 months or when they're having deals, got the black friday deal, 12gb data for $50/month.

I've got an iPhone 13 ProMax from work through Telus on 5G, running a speedtest back to back with my Google Pixel 4 on Koodo at 4G I get 21mbps on Telus and 19mbps on Koodo. Needless to say, the internet connection to the towers in GP is the slowest part, as both 4G and 5G should be much faster than this.

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch for the certified pre owned deals if you don’t need the latest & greatest. I picked up an IPhone XR 128 gb for $10 / month for 24 months. I was watching for deals - back to school i think & my 2 sons got the same phone for $1 / month over 24 months.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are one in the same companies and all use the same towers.. I get the same pricing through virgin as my kids phone that was on Koodo i just switched hers over to my virgin plan..

When putting a phone on a plan most times you are saving on the purchase price of the phone.. When i got my new Samsung my plan was going to be about the same price for the data/phone minuts minus the new phone. When i did the math for me to purchase the new phone on a plan i was saving about $800 over 2 years.. You just have to watch for the deals for me to purchase the phone outright was about $1600 when i figured the extra cost over the course of my contract im only paying $800 for the phone

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turn Bell and Telus against each other, that's what I always doo. I pay right around $70/ month with 20gb of data and canada wide calling.. Was $300 down 2 year contract and I keep this Samsung S20 something phone after the 2years.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone has access to Telus corporate deals. Epp they call it check that out. Black Friday deals
Free iPhone 13 and $60 a month for 25 gig Have to give the phone back in 2 years but then you don’t ever run into old phone/ battery issues.
Normally have to pay 10-20 a month depending on the phone but there is always deals

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone has access to Telus corporate deals. Epp they call it check that out. Black Friday deals
Free iPhone 13 and $60 a month for 25 gig Have to give the phone back in 2 years but then you don’t ever run into old phone/ battery issues.
Normally have to pay 10-20 a month depending on the phone but there is always deals
what happens if you loose the phone, or its damaged when its returned.. You r going to have to pay..

My bill went up $20 this year just because i wanted the latest and greatest for once, Usually i get the phone that is 0 down. I sell the phone for good money after my contract as my phones look like new when i sell em..

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In remote areas Bell seems to have the best coverage. Everyone who has koodoo or fido sometimes are unable to make calls

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a bell rep in my office yesterday, he says same towers as telus

Heard that too that Bell and Telus share towers. The "big names" def have better coverage than the others outside of town.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In remote areas Bell seems to have the best coverage. Everyone who has koodoo or fido sometimes are unable to make calls
I live in city limits of calgary and had to disable 5g and still have a bugger of a time making phone calls.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can confirm.

Up here it's Rogers (Fido) you have to stay away from, their service sucks, and not in a good way.
Which is weird because it has the best service below you in Grande Cache. My buddy has service everywhere wjen we are camping and hunting

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Service is still chit in some places in Edmonton. I had to enable wifi calling at my house because I couldn't make a decent phone call with telus, rogers service is just as chit here to and i'm in the city. Yesterday was working not too far from southgate and only had 1 bar in some spots too. It's really pathetic in a big city there is still dead spots.

Top Bottom