Scratchers

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I was asked the other night about Scratchers. I have a set on my sled and Im glad I do. At the the end of the year in McBride there was alot of Ice and minimal snow on the trail up, With the scratchers there was quite a bit of snow spraying into the tunnel. The people I was with stopped once in a while to cool there sleds down. I usually use them on first 10 km on the trail up, the snow seems to be quite packed down after grooming. I dont have to try to catch some snow from the sides heading up or down.

I picked mine up at Specailty Sled, (See Link on left of main forum menu)

I'll take a photo this weekend and post it on here.

RON

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never had them but I picked up a set at the sled show this year because I've seen enough of my buddies' tracks get 'stuck' to the sliders, not to mention the overheating issues that usually accompany an icy trail. just have to watch out for the 'reverse monster' that tends to tweak the scratchers.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently there are scratchers out there that don't 'self modify ' when you back up with them down.
Regards,
mitch

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Somebody was thinkin there,great idea.I put them on everything I own!
catmando:D

GRD

Reaction score
Home made scratchers

We have made some that work pretty good. You have to take them off and on, but they were cheap and do the trick. There are good for the trails in the spring.

Swampdonkey

Reaction score
if you think you might need them, get them. cheap insurance and peace of mind, keeps your hifax in better shape, worth the few bucks imho. as far as reverse, why would you need to go backwards with them down??? lol. Tyler

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep; I have them too. You never even know they are there. I can't imagine spring time riding without them. On a spring trip few years ago it took me 2 hours to get into the Renchaw, cause I had to keep stopping to let my sled cool down. Never again though.;)

sledhead

Reaction score
They do make an ice scratcher for sleds with reverse, they are a little pricey but you can get them, I saw them at Cycle Works West

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Pic of Scratchers on Summit

These are pictures of the scratchers that I installed on my summit.

I have included a pic with the scratchers up and down.

RON

Attachments

• Dec9 017.jpg
    Dec9 017.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Dec9 018.jpg
    Dec9 018.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Dec9 019.jpg
    Dec9 019.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 6125.jpg
    6125.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 82

canadude

Reaction score
Ice Scratchers are definitly a must. I also have them mounted on my sled. My only warning is DO NOT buy Fabcraft brand scratchers ( They are powder coated silver in color). Three of us had them at the end of the season in Golden last year and not one pair lasted more than 15 Km. Just my personnel opion.

Stevo

Reaction score
My M8 definitely needs a set. On medium packed to icy trails it was overheating and had slider issues.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you finally get the ice scratchers sorted out. looks like a good idea. i have been using a 2.5 inch bolt in the rear of the ski. works well, cheap just remember to remove before loading onto trailer.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This style can handle backing up, if you forget to but it away, they are just a heavy cable, they work well so far, just not sure how many years the cable will be able to stay firm enough to continue to work.....but they're going on three years now....

Attachments

• DSC03694.JPG
    DSC03694.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 117
Top Bottom