Safety /Survival fire

Polar Express

Reaction score
Last Sunday, Coyote Girl took my wife (Tall Chick) up to the hill for some educational riding. (huge thanks to CG for that!) I'm recovering from arm surgery, so I couldn't take her, and Modsledr is waiting for repair parts for his sled, so he couldn't go either. So, after we all met for breakfast, and the ladies took off, Modsledr and I were sitting around with nothing to do. This is usually a recipe for disaster: two dudes sitting around with nothing to do. So.... we decided to do what most red-blooded men would do: We decided we should light something on fire!

So, we took the top off of a pop can, and filled it with regular gasoline (I'd estimate 11 Fluid ounces) and lit it. We took guesses ahead of time to see how long it would burn. I think we both guessed 15-20 min, tops.

We were both shocked when it burned for 2 1/2 hours!

Now, why you might ask, would two somewhat normal dudes want to waste 11 ounces of gasoline? Well, it kinda started with the 'could you survive a night with what you bring with you...' talk. We are always chatting about something, since we both enjoy thought provoking discussions.

A few weeks ago, Modsledr was out riding with a couple others, and his sled broke or something (I forget exactly what happened), but not wanting to ruin the others' day, he sent them off to go play for a while. So, he decided to pretend he was stranded, and see if he could get a fire going with what he had. He was able to get under a large tree, and dig down to dirt. After 30 min of gathering small twigs, he had ~2'x2'x1' pile. then he set out to find actual 'wood' that would burn. What he discovered, was every twig he could find, was not just wet, but totally waterlogged. And, there was no 'wood' to be found (that wasn't still growing). Now in a survival situation, I'm not going to hesitate to chop down a growing tree, but it's still green wood, and you need HEAT, to get that started, and frankly, lots of it. Little campfire starter packets, or a magnesium and flint don't make enough heat to actually get wet or green wood to get going. A couple of 15 min road flares do make a pretty good amount of heat, I've carried 2 in a vacuum pack since I started sledding, for just that reason. But it's an interesting eye opener when a resourceful guy like Modsledr tells me that he didn't think he had enough on him to be able to build and sustain a decent heat source overnight. We got to thinking about that little gas-in-a-can idea as a potential way to get a fire started, but when it burned for so long, it's a very real possibility that could be the answer. The aluminum distorted a little bit, but not totally, but we got to thinking that say, a chili can, or soup can that was about the same size, that was empty and washed, could be better. In our pack, we could stuff things inside it, maybe that spare pair of sox or snack bars, so it doesn't take up any extra space, and can be a great tool. 3-4 of those, and you have made it through the night, and all you need is a lighter. It put off enough heat to keep you from freezing (yes, you'll still likely be cold), and emotionally, it keeps your spirits up (likely even more important).

It's a big condition, but the only condition is that you still have a quart or two of fuel left in your sled, and a way to get it out. But, there are lots of solutions for that.

Anyway, I thought I'd share our little idea, and maybe it can keep us all thinking more about how to be best prepared.

PE

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the gas in an empty can trick all the time to start a camp fire when out camping or quadding. You can get a couple uses out of a campbell's soup can and at the end of the camping trip you can either keep the can for the next trip out or pack it out in the garbage.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using that method for years. Get a lot of people that say that I am crazy because the gas will explode. Gasoline as a liquid will not burn. It is only the vapors that are coming off the surface that burn. That is why you can get away with burning the gas in a can, small surface area for the gas to vaporize. Now take that 11 oz of gas that you were talking about and dump it onto your pile of sticks and see what happens. Lot of surface area therefore lot of vapor hence the explosion.

Shortcut

Reaction score
Yup, works great, also raided the wife's stash of tampons to keep with my gear, works good for fire starter also!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to keep a tobacco can full of gasoline soaked ashes in the trunk of my car. seal it up in a plastic bags so that it doesn't stink up the truck. Survival fire if needed. Or if you're parked somewhere where you cannot plug in the block heater you can use it to warm the oil pan of your engine. don't leave unattended or your motor might get a little warmer than you would like.:eek:

Last edited:

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is my 2 minute thought about the fire. Take the can or bottle, get both fuel and oil out of the sled. Pour it over the pile of twigs, the fuel lights quick the oil will slow burn. Giving you time to fan the fire.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to work in the bush here on the wet coast,thats how we made lunch fires,we just used plastic bags instead of cans though,dig alittle hole in the ground below,line with bag,fill with gas,lay out a trail of gas away from it till safe then light.works great and get any fire goin.

Polar Express

Reaction score
Yeah, the the oil will burn slower and could very well give you a chance to get a larger fire going. I haven't tried that with 2-stroke oil cuz its so darn expensive but I need to try that too. I think I have a can that's contaminated, so that might be the perfect stuff to try that with.

Out here, where we live, it's the Pacific Northwest, and while it doesn't rain as much as the movies show, it's wet. Folks come here to visit, and no matter how much we have told them 'it's wet', they always seem to be surprised. We have a wet snow. That's why waterproof gear is so important here. Moreso than in other climates. All those little twigs you might find, are actually wetter than if they were just pulled off the tree. Their water content actually goes UP!

We were both surprised at how long that can of gas lasted, and it did give off some heat. Anyway, just wanted to share what we decided to try, and share specific, definitive results.

thanks all for other options!

PE

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used this method for years. If you are planning to cook on the fire, don't use too much gas to get it going to use the "gas fire" to dry out timber for a "food fire" where you don't use any gas. Benzene-flavoured hot dogs or gas tasting water (from melting snow) leave a little to be desired.

In a real survival situation, you can burn your spare sled belt or anything rubber (remember - this is for a survival situation only). The dark black smoke is very noticeable from airplanes/helicopters above, against the white backdrop of the snow. Also, it will burn for a long time. You can use this fire to dry out timber for another fire, one that you can cook on. You can cook on the rubber fire too, but this would only be in absolute desperation I think.

One question I do have: 2.5 hrs to burn the pop can full of gas- how many hours is that in beer time?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another fire starter is Vaseline and cotton balls in a sealed container.
Mix it into a sticky mess.
Spread it apart and you can light it with a flint.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Back when tobacco still came in metal cans,used to keep one in the trunk of the car for emergency heat-source.Oh ya,a roll of t-paper fit in there quite nicely and soaked in gas and sealed would have a shelf life of at least a winter.Never did time one to see how long it would burn.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Ah nuts!
Call me silly, but in the bush, no matches....
Ridin aquad or sled?
What would you do?
I have always taught my kids to tear a piece of the seat and soak in the fuel tank.
Why you ask?
Let that sit on the ground while you are taking the spark plug out. Reconnect plug to wire, place soaked foam at plug and pull on cord.

Presto, you now have a instant fire. Continue to add fuel soaked foam from seat as long as required..... Good for a long evening in the mountaibs or bush....

Just my two S$R survival tips...

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get some old candles, and a paper egg carton, some saw dust and some dryer lint.

Melt the candles using a double boiler (ie. safely) or an old electric frying pan. Put as much saw dust and dryer lint in the egg carton as you can fit (heap it up), then poor the candle wax over it till it's full (hint: do this in the garage as it can be messy if it over flows). Pack it down a bit as it cools What you end up with is a set of 12 fire starters that you just rip apart. Rip 6 off and toss them in a zip lock bag with your matches and lighter - pack it in your pack. Note: they are a tad messy, bits of waxy saw dust will fall off, so keep em in the zip lock.

I'm just saving money you say? They work extremely well, way way better than the wimpy useless store bought ones. Just light the corner of one to start it. About 10-12" of good flame for quite a while.

The old electric frying pan works very well. It's temp controlled (wax will flash at 300F, never go above 250F, but melts at 125F - so set it for about 140-160F it is safe and will still melt fast) and you just store it keeping the wax in there then plug it in again and melt it when you want to make some more, and it melts the wax very fast, in couple of minutes. No mess, no fussing.

Search google for "wax melting double boiler" for safe wax melting on a stove.

Enjoy. :beer:

greenlightning86

Reaction score
Get some old candles, and a paper egg carton, some saw dust and some dryer lint.

Melt the candles using a double boiler (ie. safely) or an old electric frying pan. Put as much saw dust and dryer lint in the egg carton as you can fit (heap it up), then poor the candle wax over it till it's full (hint: do this in the garage as it can be messy if it over flows). Pack it down a bit as it cools What you end up with is a set of 12 fire starters that you just rip apart. Rip 6 off and toss them in a zip lock bag with your matches and lighter - pack it in your pack. Note: they are a tad messy, bits of waxy saw dust will fall off, so keep em in the zip lock.

I'm just saving money you say? They work extremely well, way way better than the wimpy useless store bought ones. Just light the corner of one to start it. About 10-12" of good flame for quite a while.

The old electric frying pan works very well. It's temp controlled (wax will flash at 300F, never go above 250F, but melts at 125F - so set it for about 140-160F it is safe and will still melt fast) and you just store it keeping the wax in there then plug it in again and melt it when you want to make some more, and it melts the wax very fast, in couple of minutes. No mess, no fussing.

Search google for "wax melting double boiler" for safe wax melting on a stove.

Enjoy. :beer:

This is also what I use. Works very good.

Top Bottom