Riding Area 51

ACman

Reaction score
Back door is by a lodge. If you know where the lodge is, head straight north and you’ll be at area 51
Thanks for the beta. But would this not put you in Sol Mountain Lodge ski runs and Monashee Provincial Park ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.15.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.15.12 AM.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 188

ACman

Reaction score
Hi
I am reaching out for more info to anyone that rides Area 51, and has been in the area near Sol Mountain Lodge.
Thanks!
Hi everyone - thankyou for providing info.
I am Aaron Cooperman, owner, operator, chief of maintenance at Sol Mountain Lodge. We are a family owned and operated business in operation for 20 years. Over the past 5 years we have been seeing increased snowmobile use in our area.
Snowmobile tracks make our ski runs unuseable, put further challenges on our guiding team, and negatively impact our business. We are looking for support from the snowmobile community to please not track up ski runs, or use our lodge access and Monashee Provincial Park to access Area 51 (I noticed our access road shows as Area 51 snowmobile trail on Gaia - this is incorrect). We have posted additional signage to indicate our non-motorized tenure boundary. Thankyou for your help. Have a safe winter everyone.
Yes - I do ride, a Summit 800 here at home...

Cheers,
Aaron

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.15.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.15.12 AM.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 144

ACman

Reaction score
Also, be advised Sol mountain area is mostly Monashee Provincial Park combined with a ski area. Be sure you make yourself aware of the closure, and ski terrain prior to any snowmobiling in that area.
Thankyou - good info.

ACman

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to Snow & Mud!
That's an interesting first post. Perhaps you wish to introduce yourself to the community. ;)
Hi - I am Aaron Cooperman, owner, operator, and chief of maintenance at Sol Mountain Lodge. I am reaching out to the snowmobile community for support to please not track up ski runs - snowmobile tracks make runs un-useable for us, negatively impacting our business and ability to go to work. Hey - I grew up in the Shuswap, who knows maybe we have some common aquaintances ? Cheers, Aaron

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be grateful for any maps posted here or elsewhere that indicate the 'do not ride' areas.

ACman

Reaction score
I would be grateful for any maps posted here or elsewhere that indicate the 'do not ride' areas.
Thanks Adam. Good point. I am working on that ! - to have shown on Gaia maps. In the meantime here is a screenshot of our tenure - hope it helps. Area 51 is on Mt Symons to the east.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 10.19.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 10.19.04 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 318

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where do you have to go, to take the back way up? We always went down to just before Shelter Bay and ride in. Did see other vehicles parked along side of the road traveling down, always thought they were going into Mt. Hall area.

Well you could keep going past the log drop down the fostal creek fsr. And it will bring you to back end of 51? It’s a long ways - guys were horned up leading and missed the turn. We went a long ways breaking 4-5’ deep snow. Crossed a wicked gulley with a semi trailer as bridge Took turn till everyone was low on gas then had a fu%k show to pull the hill up out of where we parked I had to yank the dodge with mud terrains to top. Then go pull a Cjay 26’ enclosed up with a 6.2 gas. 5 guys in truck and box full of gear for weight. It was interesting going around that curve locked in 4th on the rev limiter but I was able to back out at top and keep pulling up over.
Would Love to actually get into alpine on a sunny day and see it. There is another area down there same staging as 51 Never made it up top to alpine but had a blast in the trees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi - I am Aaron Cooperman, owner, operator, and chief of maintenance at Sol Mountain Lodge. I am reaching out to the snowmobile community for support to please not track up ski runs - snowmobile tracks make runs un-useable for us, negatively impacting our business and ability to go to work. Hey - I grew up in the Shuswap, who knows maybe we have some common aquaintances ? Cheers, Aaron
Shoulda led with this instead of being sneaky trying to get info from sled community.

ACman

Reaction score
Shoulda led with this instead of being sneaky trying to get info from sled community.
Fair enough - but here I am ! Just trying to get in touch with anyone that rides in our area and get the message out. Most people are supportive when they understand it affects our ability to go to work, and maintain our locally owned and locally staffed business. Cheers

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This.
You're looking for honesty and respect from sledders, but open with deception. :unsure: Respect begets respect.
I was aware who you were from the start; hence my specifically worded post.

You would have likely gained much more traction had you opened with this:
Hi everyone - thankyou for providing info.
I am Aaron Cooperman, owner, operator, chief of maintenance at Sol Mountain Lodge. We are a family owned and operated business in operation for 20 years. Over the past 5 years we have been seeing increased snowmobile use in our area.
Snowmobile tracks make our ski runs unuseable, put further challenges on our guiding team, and negatively impact our business. We are looking for support from the snowmobile community to please not track up ski runs, or use our lodge access and Monashee Provincial Park to access Area 51 (I noticed our access road shows as Area 51 snowmobile trail on Gaia - this is incorrect). We have posted additional signage to indicate our non-motorized tenure boundary. Thankyou for your help. Have a safe winter everyone.
Yes - I do ride, a Summit 800 here at home...

Cheers,
Aaron

As you found out, the sledding community is generally a respectful bunch who realize sharing the backcountry is in their best interests. However, there is a growing trend of attempting to privatize public land and land use. Mike Wiegele is a prime example. The way you initiated this interaction combined with groups such as Y2Y is causing many recreational users to be skeptical of commercial operators and individuals such as yourself.
I regularly ride in the vicinity of Monashee, Mustang, Sol, K3, etc. and observe sled tracks ending at their borders. As a ski tourer myself that has enjoyed the many local parks and protected areas over the years, I wish your business nothing but the best and have absolutely no interest in riding within your tenure. Nevertheless, a reminder that your tenure is just that, exclusive commercial rights to an area of public land - it's not your private land or your private road.

ACman

Reaction score
This.
You're looking for honesty and respect from sledders, but open with deception. :unsure: Respect begets respect.
I was aware who you were from the start; hence my specifically worded post.

You would have likely gained much more traction had you opened with this:

As you found out, the sledding community is generally a respectful bunch who realize sharing the backcountry is in their best interests. However, there is a growing trend of attempting to privatize public land and land use. Mike Wiegele is a prime example. The way you initiated this interaction combined with groups such as Y2Y is causing many recreational users to be skeptical of commercial operators and individuals such as yourself.
I regularly ride in the vicinity of Monashee, Mustang, Sol, K3, etc. and observe sled tracks ending at their borders. As a ski tourer myself that has enjoyed the many local parks and protected areas over the years, I wish your business nothing but the best and have absolutely no interest in riding within your tenure. Nevertheless, a reminder that your tenure is just that, exclusive commercial rights to an area of public land - it's not your private land or your private road.
Fully understood - fair enough. I appreciate the conversation. Mostly looking for the opportunity to have these conversations with those that ride in our area - as many will not stop to chat. Be great to meet in person some time.
We are as well reaching out to local snowmobile clubs for support.
You have nailed all key points. Respect being the most important.
We live in the North Thompson Valley - MW is a good example of how not to approach multi use.
Cheers,
Aaron

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fully understood - fair enough. I appreciate the conversation. Mostly looking for the opportunity to have these conversations with those that ride in our area - as many will not stop to chat. Be great to meet in person some time.
We are as well reaching out to local snowmobile clubs for support.
You have nailed all key points. Respect being the most important.
We live in the North Thompson Valley - MW is a good example of how not to approach multi use.
Cheers,
Aaron

It's a tough one for sure. Snowmobiling has grown dramatically in popularity recently and so has the performance of the machines. More and more riding areas are closing due to caribou, active logging, etc. Staging areas that were once quiet are now packed. People are exploring further and further than ever before in search of the same as you - fresh tracks.
I do feel - as do many others - that clubs should not be advertising areas that they do not manage. Sending people unaware of the complexities of the more remote zones is bound to cause problems. Education and transparency is key, but you also have the few bad apples that exist in any crowd that tend to wreck it for everyone. I think you'll find most on this forum pretty reasonable and honest people.
I've had lunch with the owners of Monashee at their lodge while sledding in the spring. They seem pretty open and approachable with sledders. Also, I thought it was a nice gesture for Mustang to open their terrain to everyone while they were closed to covid.

Last edited:

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Chatter Creek also works with the sledders during ski season- Invited into the lodge for a cocktail and guided to areas that do not screw up their ski plans. Shared access to the area.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Acman..could u not buy a groomer and groom a set trail up where u want and charge a trail fee in ur position/location?

ACman

Reaction score
It's a tough one for sure. Snowmobiling has grown dramatically in popularity recently and so has the performance of the machines. More and more riding areas are closing due to caribou, active logging, etc. Staging areas that were once quiet are now packed. People are exploring further and further than ever before in search of the same as you - fresh tracks.
I do feel - as do many others - that clubs should not be advertising areas that they do not manage. Sending people unaware of the complexities of the more remote zones is bound to cause problems. Education and transparency is key, but you also have the few bad apples that exist in any crowd that tend to wreck it for everyone. I think you'll find most on this forum pretty reasonable and honest people.
I've had lunch with the owners of Monashee at their lodge while sledding in the spring. They seem pretty open and approachable with sledders. Also, I thought it was a nice gesture for Mustang to open their terrain to everyone while they were closed to covid.
Great conversation.
I have come to the same conclusion about clubs promoting areas they do not have Section 57 Mngmnt Agreements for, seems to create additional problems as you have mentioned. I have spoken to the Rev Snowmobile Club about this. Completely agree here. More managed areas may help. This is all pointing to carrying capacity issues - yet Tourism BC (Destination BC) and Destination Marketing Organizations continue to promote snowmobile tourism - pushing locals out further. I intend to bring up this issue with DBC. BC is getting blown out, camping as well - why do we continue to promote ?
My career starting working at MPS, and Mustang - I know them well. Yes, we would invite sledders to our terrain in off season - BUT this would encourage sledders to use Monashee Park.

Thanks again for the chat.
Cheers,
Aaron

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great conversation.
I have come to the same conclusion about clubs promoting areas they do not have Section 57 Mngmnt Agreements for, seems to create additional problems as you have mentioned. I have spoken to the Rev Snowmobile Club about this. Completely agree here. More managed areas may help. This is all pointing to carrying capacity issues - yet Tourism BC (Destination BC) and Destination Marketing Organizations continue to promote snowmobile tourism - pushing locals out further. I intend to bring up this issue with DBC. BC is getting blown out, camping as well - why do we continue to promote ?
My career starting working at MPS, and Mustang - I know them well. Yes, we would invite sledders to our terrain in off season - BUT this would encourage sledders to use Monashee Park.

Thanks again for the chat.
Cheers,
Aaron
Touism BC is just not promoting sledding. They are also promoting mountain biking, camping etc.

Top Bottom