Riding Area 51

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For skiing you have the ski hill, you have multiple heli ski operations, cat ski operations all over the place, rodgers pass you can go hoof it if you want.

I swear Skiers wont be happy until they have exclusive rights to every slope in BC.

They will even come ski on boulder ffs with sleds and choppers.

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For skiing you have the ski hill, you have multiple heli ski operations, cat ski operations all over the place, rodgers pass you can go hoof it if you want.

I swear Skiers wont be happy until they have exclusive rights to every slop in BC.

They will even come ski on boulder ffs with sleds and choppers.
Nothing wrong with skiing, I take my snowboard with me most days. problem is many feel they should have exclusive use to areas.
I had a snowboarder tell me to stay off "their"part of the glacier last year so they could have fresh tracks.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with skiing, I take my snowboard with me most days. problem is many feel they should have exclusive use to areas.
I had a snowboarder tell me to stay off "their"part of the glacier last year so they could have fresh tracks.

I dont have a problem with skiers either until they start talking bs about too many sledders

Last edited:

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That glacier is nice to see but boring for sledding.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must be missing something but looking at the maps l don't see the Sol lodge area being a shortcut to Area 51. It's even further south.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have many friends in the sled tourism buisness in Revelstoke.

Family buisness's....

ACman

Reaction score
I have many friends in the sled tourism buisness in Revelstoke.

Family buisness's....
Yes - exactly, and they have tenured areas to operate same as us that provide them with the opportunity to go to work. As a ski touring operation we have a small postage stamp to operate in - and cannot go anywhere else. I get it we all need space to play. Just asking kindly for respect of our work site. Much appreciated. Happy to chat over a beer sometime.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes - exactly, and they have tenured areas to operate same as us that provide them with the opportunity to go to work. As a ski touring operation we have a small postage stamp to operate in - and cannot go anywhere else. I get it we all need space to play. Just asking kindly for respect of our work site. Much appreciated. Happy to chat over a beer sometime.

I respect sol mountain lodges terrain, always have.

Its some of the other crap you were saying that I can't get behind.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be happy to have beers at big eddy pub some time.

Cheers

ACman

Reaction score
Acman..could u not buy a groomer and groom a set trail up where u want and charge a trail fee in ur position/location?
Hi - short answer No. Our operating permit is for non-motorized backcountry recreation, and a groomer is well out of our operating budget and capacity. Cheers

Cheers

Cheers
Great - I will reach out next time in Rev, I guess through this chat? Big Eddy is definitely on my trade route in the summer.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi - short answer No. Our operating permit is for non-motorized backcountry recreation, and a groomer is well out of our operating budget and capacity. Cheers

Great - I will reach out next time in Rev, I guess through this chat? Big Eddy is definitely on my trade route in the summer.

Ya just pm me. I know everyone on the board of directors of Revelstoke snowmobile club as well.

Cheers

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must be missing something but looking at the maps l don't see the Sol lodge area being a shortcut to Area 51. It's even further south.
Its not a shortcut. You can access the back of 51, but not without going through the park and burning a ton of fuel.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not a shortcut. You can access the back of 51, but not without going through the park. You would need at least 5g of extra fuel and you have to traverse through an area we call Tapout. It's earned its name countless times.
Don't tempt us with a good time

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Great conversation.
I have come to the same conclusion about clubs promoting areas they do not have Section 57 Mngmnt Agreements for, seems to create additional problems as you have mentioned. I have spoken to the Rev Snowmobile Club about this. Completely agree here. More managed areas may help. This is all pointing to carrying capacity issues - yet Tourism BC (Destination BC) and Destination Marketing Organizations continue to promote snowmobile tourism - pushing locals out further. I intend to bring up this issue with DBC. BC is getting blown out, camping as well - why do we continue to promote ?
My career starting working at MPS, and Mustang - I know them well. Yes, we would invite sledders to our terrain in off season - BUT this would encourage sledders to use Monashee Park.

Thanks again for the chat.
Cheers,
Aaron

Great conversation and points.
I not sure what you mean about the snowmobile club promoting other areas,
They do provide maps of other areas, but I believe this is to inform people of Caribou closure areas to ensure future protection and work with the government on sensitive situations.
Keeps them in the good books per say is my understanding. LOL.
The same as the ski operators, to ensure future viability.
This is evident with the years of working with government and the return/opening of Frisby Ridge.

The club does not manage trails, parking, cabins, etc in any areas other than Frisby or Boulder.

I am in am not a rep for either side, as I enjoy all spectrums of winter sports. Heli skiing, cat skiing and snowmobiling.

The big picture is, that it is crown land is for everyone's enjoyment
No-one has exclusive rights but we all must work together

Links below to tenure and land use act for those that are bored and like to read.

ACman

Reaction score
Great conversation and points.
I not sure what you mean about the snowmobile club promoting other areas,
They do provide maps of other areas, but I believe this is to inform people of Caribou closure areas to ensure future protection and work with the government on sensitive situations.
Keeps them in the good books per say is my understanding. LOL.
The same as the ski operators, to ensure future viability.
This is evident with the years of working with government and the return/opening of Frisby Ridge.

The club does not manage trails, parking, cabins, etc in any areas other than Frisby or Boulder.

I am in am not a rep for either side, as I enjoy all spectrums of winter sports. Heli skiing, cat skiing and snowmobiling.

The big picture is, that it is crown land is for everyone's enjoyment
No-one has exclusive rights but we all must work together

Links below to tenure and land use act for those that are bored and like to read.

Thanks for the conversation - and good points.
Agreed. -
"The big picture is, that it is crown land is for everyone's enjoyment
No-one has exclusive rights but we all must work together"
I would add - following the BCSF Code of Ethics.

My point about promoting areas (providing maps) of other riding areas not managed under Sctn 57 Partnership agreements is that they drive snowmobile activity to these areas without providing parking, managed trail access, signage, etc. Example being Area 51, the access is rugged, and we see spill over use into Monashee Park and our ski runs, Keystone is another example - creates parking issues along the highway (DOT is not happy). Most clubs only promote the riding areas they manage. To better manage wildlife closures, and ensure all backcountry users are accountable to the same stewardship objectives I see the need for a provinicial map, the challenge is to ensure all backcountry users have it. Pilot project around Nakusp / Trout Lake is a good example - it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Cheers - thanks again for the conversation.
Aaron

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. -

My point about promoting areas (providing maps) of other riding areas not managed under Sctn 57 Partnership agreements is that they drive snowmobile activity to these areas without providing parking, managed trail access, signage, etc. Example being Area 51, the access is rugged, and we see spill over use into Monashee Park and our ski runs, Keystone is another example - creates parking issues along the highway (DOT is not happy). Most clubs only promote the riding areas they manage. To better manage wildlife closures, and ensure all backcountry users are accountable to the same stewardship objectives I see the need for a provinicial map, the challenge is to ensure all backcountry users have it. Pilot project around Nakusp / Trout Lake is a good example - it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Aaron

we're gonna park wherever we can we drive 8 hours to get to the mountains; meanwhile some Karen can literally go cross cunt skiing in their backyard and not have to drive 8 hours one way
Has anyone asked the Selkirk Caribou how they feel ? :rofl:

ACman

Reaction score
we're gonna park wherever we can we drive 8 hours to get to the mountains; meanwhile some Karen can literally go cross cunt skiing in their backyard and not have to drive 8 hours one way
Has anyone asked the Selkirk Caribou how they feel ? :rofl:
This points to the carrying capacity issue.
Perhaps more managed areas with parking would help?
That is the great thing about XC skiing it is easy to access - and great exercise!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Agreed. -

Aaron
Thanks Aaron.

Maybe a great idea would be for all the ski companies to make a map and make it readily available at restaurants, stores, gas stations, etc, and make large billboard signs and place them at all sled access points across the province.
I am sure this would not be to much of a cost between the whole tenured ski companies and should greatly assist getting the message out to back country users sledders..

Just a thought.

Map of ski companies tenured areas attached.
May need a more current map as more areas are now tenured in the province,

Top Bottom