Riding Area 51

ACman

Reaction score
Thanks Aaron.

Maybe a great idea would be for all the ski companies to make a map and make it readily available at restaurants, stores, gas stations, etc, and make large billboard signs and place them at all sled access points across the province.
I am sure this would not be to much of a cost between the whole tenured ski companies and should greatly assist getting the message out to back country users sledders..

Just a thought.

Map of ski companies tenured areas attached.
May need a more current map as more areas are now tenured in the province,

I will be contacting DBC with the suggestion for a map - it should be geo-referenced and include more that tenure boundaries. Also working on contacting Gaia - as this is likely one of the most commonly used Map apps. Sounds like we should chat over a beer ! Seems you are involved at the administrative level. Cheers

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its pretty hard to ride Revy with out being on someone's tenure lol

Untitled.jpg

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its pretty hard to ride Revy with out being on someone's tenure lol

View attachment 265509
Doesn't tenure just mean the tenure holder has the exclusive right to charge money to guide clients in there but it is free reign for the public to use the terrain for whtever recreational use is allowed there?

ACman

Reaction score
ya they as well as cat ski and ski tour operators like to give that impression. Even CKMP trys that stuff.
Yes thats right. Some of these Heli companies don't seem to get that though.
Yes - correct Bob, Duke, public are not excluded from accessing commercial backcountry recreation tenures. Agreed, extensive tenures is part of the problem. This is why I am reaching out to the snowmobile community directly for support of our local owned, and staffed operation - and not relying on government to help. We are a ski touring operation, we do not travel far, are limited to our tenured area of operation and cannot go anywhere else. Snowmobile tracks limit our ability to go to work - simple as that.
I appreciate the open discussion - it speaks to the larger topic of increased demand on the backcountry and carrying capacities.
I think if we sat down for a beer we agree on many points.
Cheers

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes - correct Bob, Duke, public are not excluded from accessing commercial backcountry recreation tenures. Agreed, extensive tenures is part of the problem. This is why I am reaching out to the snowmobile community directly for support of our local owned, and staffed operation - and not relying on government to help. We are a ski touring operation, we do not travel far, are limited to our tenured area of operation and cannot go anywhere else. Snowmobile tracks limit our ability to go to work - simple as that.
I appreciate the open discussion - it speaks to the larger topic of increased demand on the backcountry and carrying capacities.
Cheers

Your area is tiny. I have no problem staying off it for the ski season.

When eagles pass heli ski gives me a hard time, i say suck it.

And Ive had owner at my place parting before.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers
I would agree and can respect the non motorized use and would ski tour there. In areas that are being accesed by heli skiing and cat skiing I feel we have every right to that terrain via sled. All users need to learn to co exist
For example on Revelstoke Ski Touring facebook group they are whining about sleds up the gorge. It is part of quest riding area. We ski in there and no sleds are touching terrain we ski except the runout zones to the road. Their tracks make the slide back to the truck easier in my opinion.
Problem with heli and cat skiing is 90% of their clients are just rich and can't ski so they want to use more mellow terrain that sledders would play on.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had great interaction with Tom and Caro;yn at MPScats, we ride alot on the edge of there tenure and rip it all up in april
Same with Great Canadian and Mustang and Keefer
It seems the big conglorate operations have a feeling they own there areas and it makes a guy get defensive when they act like they own terrain
thus makeing us want to ride more of it

ACman

Reaction score
I have had great interaction with Tom and Caro;yn at MPScats, we ride alot on the edge of there tenure and rip it all up in april
Same with Great Canadian and Mustang and Keefer
It seems the big conglorate operations have a feeling they own there areas and it makes a guy get defensive when they act like they own terrain
thus makeing us want to ride more of it
Understood. Yes - I started my guiding career with MPS and Mustang so know well how they work with local snowmobilers. To be clear, we are a local family owned and operated business - as anti corporate as you can get! We would as well offer accom and access to snowmobilers at end of season BUT our permit is strictly non-motorized, and it would encourage sledding in Monashee Park.
Appreciate the conversation. Take care out there.
Cheers,
Aaron

Gregb

Reaction score
Thanks Adam. Good point. I am working on that ! - to have shown on Gaia maps. In the meantime here is a screenshot of our tenure - hope it helps. Area 51 is on Mt Symons to the east.
That is a map of your tenure but don't you have access to the park as well? Rather than a map of your tenure you should supply a map of your ski runs and provide shared access to places that are not regularly skied. Monashee Powder is fine sharing their tenure with sledders using low angle terrain that they don't ski as well letting sledders stay at the lodge provides the opportunity to have the conversation regarding sharing the mountains. I think opening the lodge up in late March or April would go a long ways with the sledding community and there are lots of places to sled around there without going into the park.

ACman

Reaction score
That is a map of your tenure but don't you have access to the park as well? Rather than a map of your tenure you should supply a map of your ski runs and provide shared access to places that are not regularly skied. Monashee Powder is fine sharing their tenure with sledders using low angle terrain that they don't ski as well letting sledders stay at the lodge provides the opportunity to have the conversation regarding sharing the mountains. I think opening the lodge up in late March or April would go a long ways with the sledding community and there are lots of places to sled around there without going into the park.
Thanks Greg. Very good points, and agreed. Our operating season runs until April 20. The main issue with hosting sledders is our permit is for non-motorized recreation only, and much of the good riding terrain would be in Monashee Park - jeopardizing our relationship with BC Parks.
Thankyou for the conversation - this is how we can all work together.
Cheers

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some provincial parks even premote sledding in the area. Like Silver star provincial park for example.

Top Bottom