Rhino vs ... opinions

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I've had my Rhino 700 for 2 years. My bride and I have loved every minute of it. It will go through mud like crazy. Climb hills like the dickens. You can ride all day and not get tired and beat up. Top speed is 78 km/hour GPS. It has been very reliable. If your not into huge top end go for it. Oh ya I took that little side bar thingy off the drivers side seat where you slide in and getting in and out is a breeze. The one real down side is it sucks in muskeg.

That's what happens when we follow behind those heavy PooPoo 850's that we have in our group, they make deep holes that we fall in. I think they should be behind us from now on. lol

thebigm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.eagleriver.ca
I have both a Rhino and a Razor. The Rhino has almost 5000kms on it, with a few mods from day one. There is no comparison in the ride, the Razors suspension is way better than the Yammi, and obviously faster. Having said that, quality was never an issue with the Rhino, out of the 5000 ish kms, 4000kms were in mud and to the floor. :d And I've pulled out many a Razor in my travels. ;) I bought the polaris because its tailored to more sport riding. But quality?...... I dont think you can beat the Yammi, or at least the Razor has huge shoes to fill. :d

Cheers,

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my new but older 04 660 rhino, use it for hunting and taking the kids out now and then, but 95% hunting now. works good. i would take this to hunt over a commander razr or teryk. lighter, quiter and reliable
c0d4808b.jpg

and heres my 08 700 rhino i bought new, full cage, beard racing seats, baja bumper, warn RT40 multi mount winch, dynatek controler, clarion marine stereo, sirius sat radio, ipod doc, dual batteries, isolator, itp wheels and tires, windshield, skid plate, billet rear view mirror, clutch kit, k&n filter. someone needed it more then me and stole it :mad: still pissed to this day about it, was paid off and was a bad ass family/hunting rig! I custom built a hunting box for the back for my gun, chain saw, bow, fuel and to keep the gear dry. i had taken the box out and put the back seats in a week before it was stolen. at least i had the box to put on my old rhino.
rhino002.jpg

P1000309.jpg

P1000310.jpg

PICT0382.jpg

rhino010.jpg

racerfromhell

Reaction score
If I were to look other than my awesome RZR it would probably be the Kawi. That 750 v-twin motor is bullet proof and has really good torque/power and the mods for it work great (my buddy has a brute and that thing GRUNTS)

BB.

Reaction score
Been in and around the rhinos and a teryx. Even with some upgrades the rhino seemed like it was pulling a big trailer all day. We just got done shopping for a a sxs and went with a teryx. Also looked at the ranger but they seem way to big to be trail riding, good for around the farm.we will use it for family,hunting and some boyz bush bashin!looking forward to spring!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone who owns a rhino is wishing for more powerfully engine. I have 3000 km on my teryx and this thing is tough. I drive the snot outa it and never had a problem. Yami snaps cv joints if u run aggressive tires. I run big tires and never heard a sound from mine. You will love the teryx

I heard you baby it and my wife would drive it harder than you do.....lol

Seriously, if it stands up to this guy`s riding, just go buy it, period.....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been in and around the rhinos and a teryx. Even with some upgrades the rhino seemed like it was pulling a big trailer all day. We just got done shopping for a a sxs and went with a teryx. Also looked at the ranger but they seem way to big to be trail riding, good for around the farm.we will use it for family,hunting and some boyz bush bashin!looking forward to spring!

A single just has to work too hard in a utv....

Klondike Mike

Reaction score
That's what happens when we follow behind those heavy PooPoo 850's that we have in our group, they make deep holes that we fall in. I think they should be behind us from now on. lol

But if they are behind you then they won't be there to pull you through the mud hole:d

Crow22

Reaction score
I have been very happy with my teryx. The Yamaha is a great machine but I wanted more power, speed, and a bit more stability. The new Can am looks great but need a few more out to see if they hold up. they are also very spendy.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got one season on my rhino and I've been very happy with it. I've had 28" mudbugs on it and a 2" lift on it from day one and I spent 5 weeks using it for work around fort Nelson (which might as well be named muskeg hell) this fall. I couldn't think of a tougher test for a utv than 2-3 km muskeg runs foot to the floor the whole time, and because I had the lift and tires I became the rescue machine and ended up going through most of it twice to pull the stock company machines through. It never missed a beat: my mud tires didn't snap an axle, wide open high load runs didn't overheat it once (true story), and it got everywhere I needed to go and some places I didn't think it would. Oh and because it wasn't a rzr I was able to pack more than a bag lunch in the back. Most of the problems people have with them come from not cleaning the rads, having a heavy foot, or asking it do something it clearly wasn't designed to do.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry man but wheels falling off is rider error unless all the studs pulled out.

you always and i mean always re-torque your wheels after low amount of KMs

same thing with cars after getting new tires.

you cant blame something like a wheel flying off as a manufacture error I'm sorry man.

that said ive heard good things about the new big Cat SXS.

other than stupid ch!t that can happen to anyone obviously.

Deffinatley not rider error, and I've heard of multiple cats doing this. Even flip through a Dirtwheels and you'll find that this was an issue with earlier 'Cats. Weak parts may be the blame. The thing dents easy.

Speaking of stupid sh*t that can happen to anyone... my tires wore out... is this rider error? :d

I really had to add that last part.. It was calling out to me. :beer: No hard feelings or anything, but thats just the expirence my family has had with AC, and I was just posting my 2 cents. If you say cat's good, then so be it.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had an 09 camo rhino for 2 plus years now.Its dead nuts reliable and has never missed a beat thru some nasty mud and serious rock climbs.I put in a modded clutch sheave right from new so it goes 78Kph[gps] with 26" rubber.I ride the mountains of BC and short of the FS roads you can't really go that fast.Biggest upgrade was a set of 4 Bilstein shocks as the stockers are complete garbage.I like the size and utility of my rhino as it works well for me.I do like POpo 's offerings but until I see them close to a rhino in fit ,finish and reliability i;ll pass.Commander just too big for the tite mountains

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far my rhino has not made me walk/stranded/died:d.......so I like it:specool::thumbsup2: { yes fat men hate walking:rolleyes:} Have I done some stupid things?:eek: YES,... and somehow rhino always gets me back to :beer::beer: um camp. Would I like more power?;) Sure but 90% of the time you don't need it if you are smart!:p:d

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of very narrow quad bush trails in BC. I have never seen a rhino having to turn back, or missing fenders trying to follow. I can't wait to see what bombardier utv's are like, i know their quads are awesome.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems that the general consensus is that the Rhino is a stand up machine for the trail/hunter kind of guy. sure it could use more power, we all want more power no matter what it is. everyone has a different use and expectation out of a side by side. yamaha is no slouch when it comes to engineering and engine building. be sure to expect a revamped rhino for 2012 or a different model to compete with the high hp boys. in the mean time, i know my rhino will get me in and out of the bush every time i go.

Altapeet

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies , very good info My Kodiak 400 isnt the most poerful machine either but it has been boolitproof reliable for me . Like I said I'm not a speed demon but want reliable . I don't need to win any races , as long as I have the power to get around without feeling I have to fight for every mile.I am going to look at the Teryx /Rhino,and RZR and it will come down to bang for the buck I guess .

Rogue Rhino

Reaction score
I have had rhino's from the start , it all depends on what you REALLY want in a side by side I have used mine for hunting and could not whant any thing better ,I do a lot of trail riding -----like 09 700 rhino has 8500kl I ride all types of trails and am very happy with the rhino, POWER is GOOD but depends on how you ride , I had my 700 up to 100kl hr , was to fast for me but then I m a bit older , some yonger guys would probably like to go even faster, buy the machine that will serve YOUR needs. Draw back from RZR can't load anything in the back. My brother has a RZR and it will go any were the rhino goes , You will definatly enjoy not being throwen around like on a quad. Bill :d

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had rhino's from the start , it all depends on what you REALLY want in a side by side I have used mine for hunting and could not whant any thing better ,I do a lot of trail riding -----like 09 700 rhino has 8500kl I ride all types of trails and am very happy with the rhino, POWER is GOOD but depends on how you ride , I had my 700 up to 100kl hr , was to fast for me but then I m a bit older , some yonger guys would probably like to go even faster, buy the machine that will serve YOUR needs. Draw back from RZR can't load anything in the back. My brother has a RZR and it will go any were the rhino goes , You will definatly enjoy not being throwen around like on a quad. Bill :d

You must have done a lot of work on the motor to get it up too 100 kph.....

2 RIDGEBACKS

Reaction score
Buy the Rhino its the most reliable of them all,yeah it has less power but like your quad it wont let you down.The other makes like the shop thats for sure;)

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must have done a lot of work on the motor to get it up too 100 kph.....

Not to sound ignorant but isn't it a governor thing that makes the rhinos that much slower than the grizz versions?

I'm sure weight plays alot here but most 700 griz can hit the 100 km mark on flat ground.

All things equal a 700 rhino should be able to come close and hit 100 km mark on slight downgrade.

I may be off base perhaps the gearing is changed or something..

Point being wouldn't a CDI unit eliminate that problem for quite a cheap price.

Top Bottom