Ranger vs Defender

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a ranger. Wouldnt use it for plowing snow though, unless you dont have much to do.

A skid steer is better for that.

if your just pushing roadway to the side they work really well. Even large open areas work good with some wings on the plow. The only time they dont work very good is if your tight on space and need to stockpile. And a skidsteer is 4x the price so it depends what your after. nothing works better than a skidsteer with a big snow bucket but not in everyones budget

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your just pushing roadway to the side they work really well. Even large open areas work good with some wings on the plow. The only time they dont work very good is if your tight on space and need to stockpile. And a skidsteer is 4x the price so it depends what your after. nothing works better than a skidsteer with a big snow bucket but not in everyones budget

I Have a plow for the skid steer as well.

RAnger is great for booting around the farm, but to buy one specifically to plow snow is a waste of money imo.

Skid steer is more $$ but is also way more useful for doing work around an acreage.

Dont matter to me though.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That Polaris new or used? Looks good
I found a 2020 at a dealership with 450 km on it.
Driving in the bush last night it was windy and cool out. Heater sure is nice.
Also can has crank down windows not the flip out ones. Getting some better tires and rims. add a stereo and be set for winter riding

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my Defender. It gets the job done. Just about 3000 km on mine and no issues. With proper tires it will push quite a bit.

Attachments

• 20221226_180724942_iOS.jpeg
    20221226_180724942_iOS.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20221226_183202592_iOS.jpeg
    20221226_183202592_iOS.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20221226_183155383_iOS.jpeg
    20221226_183155383_iOS.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 100

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am really amazed at how well a side by side will plow. I definitely miss my skid steer, but just couldn't justify having it around to plow snow a couple times a year. More work with the sxs, but gets the job done fine

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For utility/work/ hunting, I think the best utv is the Honda Pioneer 1000. No belt drive can really compete with the smoothness and dependability of the Honda drive system . Great power at low rpm’s . Makes a lot of jobs easier . Definetly not as comfortable seats though 🙄

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know maybe it's just me but I've had a few quality? Polaris rigs over the years and have never owned a polaris sxs though. The quads were junk when it came to regular maintenance things that shouldn't have to be done until 5000k plus. Being that i'm not a silver spooner like some in this thread my money is spent on the longterm life of a sxs. If you like saving money and want to keep the buggy for a few years the answer is fairly easy after a few google searches.

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For utility/work/ hunting, I think the best utv is the Honda Pioneer 1000. No belt drive can really compete with the smoothness and dependability of the Honda drive system . Great power at low rpm’s . Makes a lot of jobs easier . Definetly not as comfortable seats though 🙄
Yup we’re happy with our P1000-5 it’s been a great machine so far with about 4000kms on it. The separate folding rear seats are great for the kids and nice being able to leave one folded down so have more room for cooler and other goodies.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup we’re happy with our P1000-5 it’s been a great machine so far with about 4000kms on it. The separate folding rear seats are great for the kids and nice being able to leave one folded down so have more room for cooler and other goodies.
No doubt they are great buggys but the clutch pack issues, lack of good accessories and old tech on them makes them obsolete just like the quads.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No doubt they are great buggys but the clutch pack issues, lack of good accessories and old tech on them makes them obsolete just like the quads.
In my family there’s 3 of them , 4 year old, 3 year old and 2 year old , all 1000’s , 1 has been treated kindly , the other 2 not so much , been worked hard and driven hard . 4400 , 2600, and 3100 kms , and literally not one issue that wasn’t caused by the driver . Not sure what ”tech” you are referring to , or accessories you mean , on a utility type machine, but they certainly are the one I choose when I have any work to do And definitely one of the quietest . We spend winters in Arizona and i have a Rmax I take down there , it works better in the hills and rocks and is more comfortable for sure (for 2 people). Not bashing the other brands at all , same as people , some are better at some things than others.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a yamaha rhino 660 with a plow on it, it worked awesome pushed snow at 40k an hour no problem, then i learned they had what they call a wet clutch. That cost me a 1000 or so to change that one out.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a yamaha rhino 660 with a plow on it, it worked awesome pushed snow at 40k an hour no problem, then i learned they had what they call a wet clutch. That cost me a 1000 or so to change that one out.
Curious? Did you use no friction mod oil? or did it just overheat? What went wrong

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was using it like a cat, would that thing ever push snow, it was awesome. What went wrong? i do not have a clue. But expect i exceeded what the wet clutch was designed to handle. I do however now pay real close attention if it has a Ma rating on the oil for every ATC, ATV and UTV

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was using it like a cat, would that thing ever push snow, it was awesome. What went wrong? i do not have a clue. But expect i exceeded what the wet clutch was designed to handle. I do however now pay real close attention if it has a Ma rating on the oil for every ATC, ATV and UTV

That wet clutch has no business being in there imo. That’s the weak point for sure. Neighbour had one and was constantly having issues withe that. First one was because he didn’t put the right oil in even though he says he did lol

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pricing out a plow. Should I get a poly or steel blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pricing out a plow. Should I get a poly or steel blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've only ever used steel and have been happy. I'd call utv Canada. They were awesome for answering questions, and when I called they gave me I think a 20 percent off code for my order. 7809868001

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my poly blade is starting to bend on the ousides so now the snow kind of falls out of it. i did really like it until i noticed that. I dont think a metal one would do that

Top Bottom