Revelstoke Search and Rescue Call out Saturday Night on Sale

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
Anyone know the details? I bet those volunteers are sick and tired of getting out of bed for Darwin. There has been too many calls already this season.
Hope everyone was alright.

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,
It as at sale, fellow went down from lake to east and towards LaForme Creek, no working radio
Couldn't climb back so kept going, found cut block at bottom and took road basically out for 10 km then ran out of fuel, probably was not full when he left as he apparently left at 12 and was out of fuel at 4
Two of his friends decided to walk down to try to help which was also not good, now looking for 3, and had to walk abut 20km

Total S_ _t show

If you don't know where you are don't go!!!
and don't keep going!!!

Gord H, Steve W, Dave N and others went back to help at 10pm and got home after 4am

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an inreach, if I have to use it (hoping never), is there a charge $ for the helicopter and S&R sent out, much like an ambulance call in the city?

Ramjet15x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you call helicopter, you pay, if S+R calls, BC govt pays..... for now!
This is under review in cabinet as well, as often it is self imposed stupidity, like in this case

geo

Reaction score
Plates are here, maybe sledder licence will be next.

Restriction for first two years should be max 121" sled.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plates are here, maybe sledder licence will be next.

Restriction for first two years should be max 121" sled.

For everyone?? That will be good for short track sales...lol

Hats off to the volunteers with S&R, I know I wouldn't want to get out of bed to go look for people in a white out.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the details? I bet those volunteers are sick and tired of getting out of bed for Darwin. There has been too many calls already this season.
Hope everyone was alright.

Chad G (Destroyer) posted something very similar on FB...maybe same call!?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a waste of people's time. In all my years of riding I've never been close to staying the night. Because I'm of average intelligence. Not cocky. And learned to sled from Sledders. Sad to say but the facts are 95% of those who need search and rescue are retards. Complete idiots. There is no excuse to be (lost) with today's tools like GPS and radios and endless training that is now available. These guys getting lost aren't Sledders. They just own a sled.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a waste of people's time. In all my years of riding I've never been close to staying the night. Because I'm of average intelligence. Not cocky. And learned to sled from Sledders. Sad to say but the facts are 95% of those who need search and rescue are retards. Complete idiots. There is no excuse to be (lost) with today's tools like GPS and radios and endless training that is now available. These guys getting lost aren't Sledders. They just own a sled.

nailed it. with todays machines ive yet to find a spot they wont come out of with a few tries. 100% of people i have helped off the mountain end up going down down down down down looking for a spot to turn around rather than sidehilling/button hooking and going back up. ( a skill perhaps not learned yet). down is not the answer unless you know where it ends up.

tranquillicer

Reaction score
What would be a typical scenario for S&A to be called to attend that would not involve someone making a mistake, and error in judgement or just aim d F'ing up?
Within 5 relies to a simple enquiry this thread had assumed someone or some group of people were a bunch of "tards" that should be sentenced to aide of short tracked sleds and that anytime S&A is called out that it is a complete waist of their time.
I certainly hope they are out there for me IF I ever make a mistake and need that kind of help.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would be a typical scenario for S&A to be called to attend that would not involve someone making a mistake, and error in judgement or just aim d F'ing up?
Within 5 relies to a simple enquiry this thread had assumed someone or some group of people were a bunch of "tards" that should be sentenced to aide of short tracked sleds and that anytime S&A is called out that it is a complete waist of their time.
I certainly hope they are out there for me IF I ever make a mistake and need that kind of help.

A surprise winter storm that offered up big fog and blowing snow. An injury that required a skiff or chopper. Yes mistakes happen but when Revy area has 25 outa 30 days needing s&r that screams irresponsibility on our part. Totally not acceptable.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is a serious thread and with a post such as this, it makes for a difficult read. A proof read prior to posting is always a good idea!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest problem is the amount of people going to revy without a guide or knowing where and where not to go

It's just so busy with people that never been before ect now....

A good guide, or person to ride with that knows the area well is worth every penny

If it socks in, blows hard ect u need to know where u are, where to go and where not to go

I'm looking into guiding , have spent just about two years riding local areas for this reason... Most of it now, I don't even need a gps and can come back a fast or slow way when needed.... It comes from 2000 km just in one main big area, and 4000 km total with all types of conditions

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know if I lost a person in my party, I would probably call S&R as well if I was unable to find them after X amount of time and exhausted my efforts in trying to communicate with them. I would have a hard time not calling to be honest.

It seems to be the missing person or parties riding group calling S&R, not the missing person themselves. Do you have a talk in the am and say...well if you go missing and we can't find you or get a hold of you on the radio we are going to let you spend the night and come back and try to find you tomorrow? :confused:

Last edited:

tranquillicer

Reaction score
Apologies for crappy typing and no proofing. That being said, almost every scenario would eventually point to a mistake, F up or accident at which point there would be accountability. It's wrong to imply that a person is retarded or somehow a lesser form of life and should be labeled as such. I ride the mts when ever I get the chance. I had an opportunity to assist in a heli evac once. One of the most veteran mt riders anyone on this forum could imagine...a mechanical issue followed by a mental mistake and he was in big trouble. With less than two hours of daylight remaining and an evening that saw well over 2' of snow in that very location this man was lifted to safety. How quickly your day and your life can change.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Apologies for crappy typing and no proofing. That being said, almost every scenario would eventually point to a mistake, F up or accident at which point there would be accountability. It's wrong to imply that a person is retarded or somehow a lesser form of life and should be labeled as such. I ride the mts when ever I get the chance. I had an opportunity to assist in a heli evac once. One of the most veteran mt riders anyone on this forum could imagine...a mechanical issue followed by a mental mistake and he was in big trouble. With less than two hours of daylight remaining and an evening that saw well over 2' of snow in that very location this man was lifted to safety. How quickly your day and your life can change.

I agree!

People are very quick to start throwing stones in a glass house!!!!!!!

With no solid details or actuall witness accounts, maybe you should wait before throwing everyone under the bus.......

Hope all are okay and exceptionall job by Revelstoke Search and Rescue.......

Last edited:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Some of our rescuers are still tired today, said it was a long tough one. I understand things can go wrong really quick but everyone needs to head out prepared for the worst and tell someone your plans . I know a lot of those S&R guys and what they told me was to carry a good book and a flashlight cause if they ever have to come looking for me and I`m not hurt they are gonna take their sweet time because I should know better. Best threat I have ever had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom