Replacing OLD sled.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Morn. Thinking of getting back into snowmobiling . Last sled was 91 Mack 1. Please don’t laugh?? Loved it still runs strong. Thinking of Summit 850 174? What is your take on other makes. Want to enjoy the mountains again. Needs to be reliable. Thanks.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The old mach 1 eh. Well my friend you are in luck because the sledding industry has changed a little since then. I guess it depends on what kind of mountain riding you want to do. Point and shoot? Dangle in the trees? Pow turns in some Highland meadows? Or kick by the cabin a watch the carnage. Get electric start. You won’t go wrong with any of the big 3 brands tho.

Cheers
Chadd

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You will enjoy that sled as you have "decision making time"! Won't have to ride WOT unless you want to and they work their way through the trees nearly effortlessly. Get in touch with Bow Ridge Sports in Cochrane or send snopro (a member on here and long time salesman with BRP) a PM as he may have a good contact.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Electric start?

I always had Cat efi since 1998, 2nd pull cold and first pull cold always.

Yes, they say with EFI, they are all easier starting but some of us don't like to pull the cord ever. That little button is one of the convinces of life that us older folks have worked so hard for

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You cant go wrong with any of the newer sleds these days.they all are amazing machines and will not let you down.personally prefer the skidoo g4 850.but i have ridden the new alpha and 850 axys polaris and they are very good as well.its all personal preference but any of them will be a blast.hope this helps a bit.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all the new sleds have there good and there bad, imo its what is comfortable and feels right to you. being older i agree with fernie snow about elec start, i wouldnt want to go without. i run the summit gen4 and love it, i cant say much if you need the 175 for most people i ride with run the 165 and find that is enough track

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Thinking of electric start with pull start for back up.Wishing for lots of snow. Seems like a few of us older boys still giving IT. Thanks

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 175 would be a great sled for you to get back into the sport. The 175 will give you some forgiveness when the snow is really deep and get you out of any honey hole you drop into.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. As we get older we don't make reactionary decisions anymore we start thinking about it instead. The 175 just gives you that little bit of extra time and bails you out if you make a mistake. I ride with younger guys and I wouldn't have anything but a 175 anymore for myself.

SnowDog

Reaction score
Yes definitely go with a 175, as everyone says, it will get you out of trouble us old guys seem to get into a little more now lol. No doubt get electric start and not the shot start as you still have to pull the cord once with shot, which is one to many for me lol:)

longtrack 156

Reaction score
Yes definitely go with a 175, as everyone says, it will get you out of trouble us old guys seem to get into a little more now lol. No doubt get electric start and not the shot start as you still have to pull the cord once with shot, which is one to many for me lol:)

Agree with the 175, stop and go in the trees is definitely an asset.
Don't know about the electric start, sold my M7 last year, would still buy pull start, I'm 80 years old btw.

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
If price range and reliability are a factor i would recommend a 2015-2017 XM 174 with e-start, i have a 2016 X 174 e-start and a 2104 X 163, both purchased at 1 yr old with 300 km, i would like an 850 with either 165 or 175 to gain the shot starter and flickability as i'm 57 years old and the xm are more tiring then a Gen 4, But the reliability, durability and belt life of the 800 keep me from switching, there should be lots of low km 800 174 T3 with e-start available for cheap this fall.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If price range and reliability are a factor i would recommend a 2015-2017 XM 174 with e-start, i have a 2016 X 174 e-start and a 2104 X 163, both purchased at 1 yr old with 300 km, i would like an 850 with either 165 or 175 to gain the shot starter and flickability as i'm 57 years old and the xm are more tiring then a Gen 4, But the reliability, durability and belt life of the 800 keep me from switching, there should be lots of low km 800 174 T3 with e-start available for cheap this fall.

I have to agree with this from what I seen those t3 were bulletproof and you could likely get into one for decent price.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, they say with EFI, they are all easier starting but some of us don't like to pull the cord ever. That little button is one of the convinces of life that us older folks have worked so hard for
Not just you older folks I won't buy anything without it. Nothing worse then being stuck and pulling a rope right after!

Top Bottom