Recession just around the corner?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i suppose the recession will be our fault also, just look in the mirror acording to Premier Prentice that its our fault for the money shortfall this government is missing. I suppose it is our fault for voting PC. The next election bring the mirror as a reminder.

Wealth is not created nor destroyed - it just moves. Blaming a government for spending money to create infrastructure to accommodate a growing population and belly-aching about a deficit when (out of the blue) the brown-eyed arabs want to drive the price of oil down.
Did most of the population plan for that?
Read news articles from 6 months ago - experts are in shock and all over the place as to where it will end.

Ron Carey said it best: Please God, let there be another boom, I promise not to blow it all next time (or something to that effect).

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe today, at plus 8C, wasnt the best possible day to expand our pipeline construction service business but hey... See how she ****in goes boys

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe today, at plus 8C, wasnt the best possible day to expand our pipeline construction service business but hey... See how she ****in goes boys

She will be all good for you, any of us that have spent a few decades in the patch know the drill, this is our annual 8-10 year auto-correct, give it some time and we will be back to business as usuall. it sucks yes but it is the reality of the patch.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was around when electricians wages went from something like $18-20 per hour in the early 80's to "if you want work - then show up Monday and be willing to do just about anything for $12/hr". 40% cut over a weekend...
The only ones who kind of cruised through it were government workers (AGT, Telus etc) which had a bit of a guarantee of wage levels.
Everyone else it was 'do what ever it takes' - and that it was most people did.
Luckily I built my first house when everything was depressed - most wouldn't take a gamble on it.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the things I've heard about sunrise I'm not surprised that they need to cut costs. I know multiple people who got hired with ridiculous salaries, then did literally nothing for the first year they were there while they waited on the construction.

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guys at work were talking like Schlumberger in red deer shut down their coil tubing. and Sanjel in Medicine Hat shutdown too.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor Shell pulled the plug on Carmon Creek due to costs getting out of hand. Anyone else hear this?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor Shell pulled the plug on Carmon Creek due to costs getting out of hand. Anyone else hear this?
well, some say it's true (guys getting laid off) and others say it isn't....I've hauled in a lot of iron from out there in the last few weeks but they did it last spring as well, shut everything down until it dried up.

but this time some are saying a delay in the project could last 6 months to a year. who knows

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, some say it's true (guys getting laid off) and others say it isn't....I've hauled in a lot of iron from out there in the last few weeks but they did it last spring as well, shut everything down until it dried up.

but this time some are saying a delay in the project could last 6 months to a year. who knows

No rumour. True it is delayed till 2016.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No rumour. True it is delayed till 2016.
what part of it tho.....dirt work? plant construction? pipeline? there's a chitload of different stuff going on related to the project, I only deal with the dirt work part and their equipment and those guys are saying business as usual after it dries up. was just out there on tuesday and DFI is still pounding pilings like crazy with three machines....but the civil earthworks supervisor told me guys from Flint and Bird were told to finish up what they are doing and pack it in. road bans went on at midnight last night, pretty much got all the heavy stuff out of there so I'm looking forward to a nice break. lots of people freaking out tho. I enjoy the drama of it all

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what part of it tho.....dirt work? plant construction? pipeline? there's a chitload of different stuff going on related to the project, I only deal with the dirt work part and their equipment and those guys are saying business as usual after it dries up. was just out there on tuesday and DFI is still pounding pilings like crazy with three machines....but the civil earthworks supervisor told me guys from Flint and Bird were told to finish up what they are doing and pack it in. road bans went on at midnight last night, pretty much got all the heavy stuff out of there so I'm looking forward to a nice break. lots of people freaking out tho. I enjoy the drama of it all

My job is secure like yours must be but by no means do i enjoy watching the cuts and "drama of it all"
Alot of people and families affected, kind of a dick perspective

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Omg breakup is here. Again. Big fawking surprise.

I said it before. Care about your job, take some pride in yourself and keep your mouth shut and it wont affect you as bad.
lol....she's a little different breakup this year. especially for some of the patch guys looking to go back to work after it dries up. many have been sitting since february already, lots of bikes and quads on the local buy/sell/trade

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My job is secure like yours must be but by no means do i enjoy watching the cuts and "drama of it all"
Alot of people and families affected, kind of a dick perspective
guess I'm just a dick. I don't feel one bit sorry for the guys that jumped from job to job when the big bucks were waved in front of their face. they're always the first ones to brag about their income and their toys.....and the first ones to sit for their "loyalty"

Top Bottom