Really?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have this happen to your brute? Oil in the airbox coming from crank vent? Can't believe this is happening for the 2nd time. First noticed it was blowing blue today, and scared me thinking this was another big problem, but realized it was in the airbox coming from the vent. Mopped it up, exhaust is back to normal. Engine is fine, works good, but what causes this? And how do I fix it?

Here's a pic of the shop towels soaked In oil so you can see how much I gotta deal with... :(

Sent from my white iPhone 4

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315966540.787460.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315966540.787460.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 217

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you pull wheelies or climb any steep hills that will happen on Brutes. Once they get to a certain angle they puke oil into the airbox. Their is a fix for it by using a small filter or catch can but I don't know how it works. Next time I am on Kawieriders.com I will see if I can find it for yah. This is nothing to worry about though.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you continue to do wheelies while your crankcase is full where do you think the oil is gonna go? When they make these things they don't build them for the type of riding that some of us do. ( swimming, rolling, standing on end, etc.) Ride hard and keep the rag handy. oh and check the oil.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i didn't do the catch can mod to mine.... if u go to nyroc and search in there i did the extended vent line to under the dash pod.... plug the box hole where the used to go and tee it with 5/8 heater hose to under the dash pod.... then put in a 2 vent auto pcv valve [ lets air out but seals coming in... ] ... works awsome and no more buring oil out the pipe [ also could run bad when u need it the most ] .... just the extra area for the oil to go works good.... never have had it come out the dash either...

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Long wide open trottle runs will cause this to happen as well. Only filling your oil to 1/2-3/4 on the dipstick makes a huge difference with this not happening anymore. Just be sure to check your oil before every ride,

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep my oil level full, you wont see me with it at the 1/2 or 3/4 mark.....I have ran my quad at 90% - 95% full speed at in Manitoba down gravel road for 25min, burned some gas there I did.....but no oil in my air box after that....also had stock tires then.....

Thought I gave you 3 months quadboy, when did you get your brute, lol, have to bring up the old thread....

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep my oil level full, you wont see me with it at the 1/2 or 3/4 mark.....I have ran my quad at 90% - 95% full speed at in Manitoba down gravel road for 25min, burned some gas there I did.....but no oil in my air box after that....also had stock tires then.....

Thought I gave you 3 months quadboy, when did you get your brute, lol, have to bring up the old thread....

Depends if we are factoring in the tail light??? Lol

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i didn't do the catch can mod to mine.... if u go to nyroc and search in there i did the extended vent line to under the dash pod.... plug the box hole where the used to go and tee it with 5/8 heater hose to under the dash pod.... then put in a 2 vent auto pcv valve [ lets air out but seals coming in... ] ... works awsome and no more buring oil out the pipe [ also could run bad when u need it the most ] .... just the extra area for the oil to go works good.... never have had it come out the dash either...

Sounds good, I'll do that!

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You worry WAY TO MUCH. Dont lose any sleep over this problem. I have seen it in most every quad thats rode. My dad has a popo 700 NON EFI and that machine couldnt pull a wheelie if it had to, yet he rides hard (High RPM) and it has the same deal. the quad still runs........after all what are you so concerned about???? You will have one hell of a time draining your crankcase in one ride...... do as people say and check the oil every ride. This stuff has a tendency to look worse then it really is. An extremely thin layer of oil/grease with some dust/dirt on it always looks worse then it is. Expecically if it has a couple/few layers on it. It's not like this stuff is 100% oil in the box is has a thin layer of dust and dirt on it so it looks worse then it is. Keep riding and if you decide to change quads again Polaris would be happy to have you back as a customer:D

:beer::beer::beer:

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very common problem, I usually run my oil in between full and 3/4's only had this problem on hills and long fast road runs, just check the oil and air filter before every ride and you'll be fine....also check your oil seal where your drive shaft connects to your tranny/engine....seems I have to replace mine again....only have 600km on the bike :realmad:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Common problem,. either lots, and lots of high speed driving,.. OR you have the oil AT the full mark and are doing hilly riding and climbing, even happens when you load/unload the quad from a pickup box. One solution is to not add oil right to the full mark, but keep it above 3/4 and below half.

Dealer even suggests this to fix the problem, not sure on the amount but IIRC it's about 500ml less during and oil change.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dot ride fast but hilly ad roughy sounds right. Btw, this is oil oil in the box, wet, clearly oil, puddles in the box. I'll take a pic next time ;)

Top Bottom