radio/gsp selection

zenk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure i will pi$$ someone off cause this is prolly in the wrong location but i am wondering what the best radio/gps is to get. i notice alot of people running the garmin rino. whats the model to get? i mostly ride revy

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Rhino 120, get about 3miles range in a straight line, on a clear day. Works good, have garmins Topography program so I can select a certain sized area and save to my GPS. I'd like to have got the color screen One.
Seen guys install cigarette lighters on their sleds to power their GPS's, as they eat batteries. I go through 3 to 6 a day riding with mine, depending on temperature, and how much you use the walky talky.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure i will pi$$ someone off cause this is prolly in the wrong location but i am wondering what the best radio/gps is to get. i notice alot of people running the garmin rino. whats the model to get? i mostly ride revy

I run the 650. Battery life is awesome. Usually I get a few days outta of em.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Rhino 120, get about 3miles range in a straight line, on a clear day. Works good, have garmins Topography program so I can select a certain sized area and save to my GPS. I'd like to have got the color screen One.
Seen guys install cigarette lighters on their sleds to power their GPS's, as they eat batteries. I go through 3 to 6 a day riding with mine, depending on temperature, and how much you use the walky talky.
Can you put the garmin lithium battery pack on the 120? If you can , do I have a 530 and battery lasts 2 days depending on radio usage.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if money isnt a concern, go with the Rino 655T good battery life, glove friendly touch screen, 5 watt radio and a 5 mp camera built in.

Ruegsegger

Reaction score
if money isnt a concern, go with the Rino 655T good battery life, glove friendly touch screen, 5 watt radio and a 5 mp camera built in.

Just make sure you order a U.S. model because the Canadian version only comes with a 2 watt radio due to regulations.

zenk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard the us version interferes with beacon signals.... is this true? i would rather have me be found in an avy then my radio lol

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i heard the us version interferes with beacon signals.... is this true? i would rather have me be found in an avy then my radio lol

They do interfere if its an inch from the beacon. (Pretty sure almost every electronic device will) if I'm that close to finding you, I'm thinking you'll be fine lol. That being said its best to shut off all electronics devices when searching for buried beacons

Thegeneral

dinlaroche

Reaction score
I have the Rino 530HCX and I love it. I adjusted backlighting and other settings and I easily get 4 solid days of use before having to recharge. I also have a PTT lapel microphone that I use so that I can store the radio in my pack and it won't interfere with my beacon. Some of my buddies have the handlebar mounts for their sleds which also reduce any potential interference issues you would have with the beacon.

jumpingjack

Reaction score
You definitely want to get a rino and get you're buddies to get them too. This way it's easy to find each other and if lost your location can be found by search and rescue if they can find the channel your on. I wouldn't get any thing less than the rino 520. The 530 is even better and you may be able to find some used ones. If you're going to buy new get the newer rino 650 or 655t. Both are the same but the 655t has topo preloaded and has a camera.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only difference between the 520 and the 530 is the electonic compass in the 530 and the electronic compass is the battery killer,we were told this when we did a snowandmud group purchase which included a gps course from Discovery GPS on the south side of edmonton.I love mine and its 5 years old and still works fine,we all got the american 5 watt version.
catmando!

Galaxie

Reaction score
655t US version is the way to go. You do need to set it up for battery longevity...as it can be a hog...especillay if cat herding!

Top Bottom