Questions that need answers!!

Snow Angel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am currently looking into getting satellite radio for my truck...
So far, I've looked into Sirius and XM...
What company are you guys with (who's better), what model of radio do you have, and what are you paying a month / year? Is it better to subscribe for longer...?

Questions that need answers!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Sirrius in my truck and car and we have a portable we take in the holiday trailer that has a docking station Courtney. The radio's in the vehicle were through Ford and I believe I pay $260 for a 3 year term. I like Sirrius better than the XM I used to have as the programming is more appealing to me.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sirius bought out xm so they r the same now.. Can't really help on what model to buy but last time I checked I think it was round 12 or 13 bucks a month.. That was a few years ago tho.. But the longer the term u get the more of a deal you get I believe

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sirius bought out xm so they r the same now.. Can't really help on what model to buy but last time I checked I think it was round 12 or 13 bucks a month.. That was a few years ago tho.. But the longer the term u get the more of a deal you get I believe

You are correct but they are not the same. Compare the programming. I left XM because they didn't have Nascar programming. They have alot of the same channels but there is a difference.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i had xm in my truck for a long time, but i have had a few rentals with sirrius and would say it does have the better programning, as for the radio i think you'll pay for what you get but if i were to do it again i would go with portable one with the built in reciever that you can use out of the vehicles and with out a dock. would have been nice to have for work or if you walk or run or anything like that.....you'll pay more but i think it would have been worth it.....

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I have Sirius in both the car and truck and i won't go without I wanna listen to music not 2 idiots yakking after every song trying to be funny

Make sure you get the best deal if you have a friend with a US address go through them rather Canada it gets billed to your credit card so the addressee really get nothing but some permotion mail every few months

He is some reading on how to get the deals
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1152663/

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
sirrius did buy them but the programming is different, the american programming is also different, someone told me once you can get the american programming up here but i cant remeber the way to go about it

Snow Angel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about rentals? How does that work?... I'd rather get a portable one so I can take it from vehicle to vehicle etc. I currently have Sirius on my phone as I'm testing it out with a 14 day or so trial... So far I like it, I can't remember what my old man has... I don't remember his being very user-friendly though. Sirius seems to be easy enough to navigate through on my phone, not sure what the difference would be on the radio box though??

How much of a difference are there going to be between American and Canadian channels? More variety I assume?

I want it mostly for the country stations and the comedy stations as I've recently discovered a new obsession for them! And occassionaly top 40 stuff too.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sirrius did buy them but the programming is different, the american programming is also different, someone told me once you can get the american programming up here but i cant remeber the way to go about it

Hmph thought they were the same ever since they changed up all the channel numbers an stuff.. But I also havent listened to xm since it expired an I put an aftermarket deck in my truck.. Learn somethin new everyday lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about rentals? How does that work?... I'd rather get a portable one so I can take it from vehicle to vehicle etc. I currently have Sirius on my phone as I'm testing it out with a 14 day or so trial... So far I like it, I can't remember what my old man has... I don't remember his being very user-friendly though. Sirius seems to be easy enough to navigate through on my phone, not sure what the difference would be on the radio box though??

How much of a difference are there going to be between American and Canadian channels? More variety I assume?

I want it mostly for the country stations and the comedy stations as I've recently discovered a new obsession for them! And occassionaly top 40 stuff too.
Most oif the difference between US and Canadian programming is in the Sports channels. US gets US sports and we get more Canadian.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
if you want to go vehicle to vehicle youll need to find old school radio.

used to work via fm, now new radios have install kits that go direct.

i have pioneer inno which is portable, but on vehicle it is docked and uses external antenna.

Snow Angel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want to go vehicle to vehicle youll need to find old school radio.

used to work via fm, now new radios have install kits that go direct.

i have pioneer inno which is portable, but on vehicle it is docked and uses external antenna.

That sounds confusing. I just wanted it for trips in case I was in a vehicle other than mine and we wanted to listen to satellite going through the mountains and such and not eff around with finding radio stations and messing around with cables/wires.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
That sounds confusing. I just wanted it for trips in case I was in a vehicle other than mine and we wanted to listen to satellite going through the mountains and such and not eff around with finding radio stations and messing around with cables/wires.

youll have to find an older portable then like xm2go, or get aftermarket fm modulator, either case you may not be impressed due to the internal antenna not picking up reception vs a wired antenna on your roof

Snow Angel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
youll have to find an older portable then like xm2go, or get aftermarket fm modulator, either case you may not be impressed due to the internal antenna not picking up reception vs a wired antenna on your roof

K I don't wanna fug around with all that, I figured there would be something a little more portable... So if I left it stationed in my truck, which company is better / cheaper?

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have Sirius in my truck and XM in my dads new chev. Sirius is better programming, but XM has NHL home ice. I like the NHL station, but for flames games I will still put on fan 960.

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
K I don't wanna fug around with all that, I figured there would be something a little more portable... So if I left it stationed in my truck, which company is better / cheaper?

i dont think one is better than other, get a USA addy and activate it through US, typically cheaper.

sirusxm in states, i believe xm canada and sirius canada are two different identities at this point.

i have xm acct (USA), xm everything package plus best of sirius also online listening which is sweet.

check out channel listings on canada side and usa side, for what you want either will be fine

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have 2 XM and 2 Sirius set-ups. Sirius is better. Even though they are the same company now, they are on different satellites. Sirius has 3 birds that move in a figure 8 pattern over north America so you always have signal. XM has 5 geostationary birds down over the equator over the Pacific...the further north you are, the lower in the horizon the signal is and more likely to get blocked by hills, mountains, trees, etc. My XM always gives me issues when I go to BC. Sirius is solid all the time.

You can still get FM modulator kits at Best-Buy so you can move it from car to car and use the boom box.

Last edited:

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
Programming
  • All music programming are now exact duplicates on both services, with the following exceptions:
  • Six channels (, , , , , and ) are owned by , still air commercials, and are exclusive to XM subscribers.
  • All Canadian music channels remain exclusive to their respective platforms, as the corresponding Canadian providers have yet to merge. Sirius Canada channels include , , Bande à part, , and . XM Canada channels include , , and Radio Parallèle. These channels are also available to online listeners of their respective providers, but only to Canadian subscribers.
  • There are also a handful of in-house programmed channels exclusive to each platform. XM exclusives include , , , and . Sirius has no exclusive channels. Limited bandwidth prevents these channels from being made available to both services, but the reasons they were chosen to be left out are unclear. However, all these channels are available to online listeners of both Sirius Internet Radio and XM Radio Online.

canadian content requirements in canada, CRTC.

Snow Angel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's wicked info. I guess I'll have to compare pricing... Know which one is cheaper? I don't know who I'd ask in the states to do me that favour.

Top Bottom