Who's your Electricity Supplier and who has the best rates?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm one of those 800,000 Albertan dummies that took the default rate from Epcor after Mom and Dad moved off the farm and kind of forgot about it till I was reminded in the last couple days. So now I need to get on a fixed rate contract before tomorrow so I don't have to pay the deferral charges when the UCP subsidized the rates over the winter to help folks out. Not sure why the energy provider wouldn't send out an email or letter explaining the process and the end date till the media picked up on it 2 days ago but that's another story. What are guys paying out there and who are you with? If you are on the RRO program are you having any luck contacting your energy provider to sign a contract? I've made close to 200 calls to Epcor but its line is busy from 8 am to 7 pm everyday.

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Enmax, but I'm not sure of their availability - only in larger towns/cities I think? I could be wrong though.
Currently paying $6.59 cents/kwh. The current offer if I were to lock into another fixed contract is 12.99 cents/kwh.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did the switch online yesterday... It took a few hours but step by step it loaded.... 12.75 cents a KW for 5 years Encor by Epcor.... Most guys here at work looked at me like I was from space, I guess I'm way behind... looked back and I paid 34 cents in December... idiot...

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am totally confused but never understood why the power companies wanted us to lock in Rates . Somehow they are being gracious to households, making businesses and large corporations pay "up" to cover the cost of providing electricity, if we are all locked in at low rates. I DON"T think so. The lowly consumer has always covered the cost . Why aren't all of our daily costs able to be locked in like groceries, insurance, petro, and who again is going to cover the extra cost? Is it that I have been living under a rock to long. Maybe just confused!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peace Power is the cheapest I've seen, 11.99 cents per kwh for 3 years.

I'm on a legacy plan with Spot Power because of my solar panels, I pay 6.49 cents/kwh in the winter and get paid 30 cents/kwh in the summer when I sell back to the grid. I'm locked in at these rates until 2025.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am totally confused but never understood why the power companies wanted us to lock in Rates . Somehow they are being gracious to households, making businesses and large corporations pay "up" to cover the cost of providing electricity, if we are all locked in at low rates. I DON"T think so. The lowly consumer has always covered the cost . Why aren't all of our daily costs able to be locked in like groceries, insurance, petro, and who again is going to cover the extra cost? Is it that I have been living under a rock to long. Maybe just confused!

Power prices in Alberta are live and variable, just like the stock market and oil prices. The price can literally change every second, although it's usually just a handful of times per hour. Now power can also be bought on contract, a consumer (and almost all the large power consumers do this) can buy power for a fixed price for a fixed amount of time from a set generating station. Seems power companies are offering the same option to consumers.

Ets.aeso.ca is the website to see what plants are generating in Alberta and what the instantaneous pool price for electricity is.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did the switch online yesterday... It took a few hours but step by step it loaded.... 12.75 cents a KW for 5 years Encor by Epcor.... Most guys here at work looked at me like I was from space, I guess I'm way behind... looked back and I paid 34 cents in December... idiot...
I tried making an account but over an hour wait time to make an account. That may be my best bet. Thanks!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea I was the same but I had all day lol... first had to make account, then link the account number and then start new services...
you'll need the name off the bill exactly how it is. mine was last, first middle but a buddy was middle initial.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea I was the same but I had all day lol... first had to make account, then link the account number and then start new services...
you'll need the name off the bill exactly how it is. mine was last, first middle but a buddy was middle initial.
I see. Do they give you a new account number or do you use the one you already have?

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just recently switched to park power for electricity & gas… unfortunately I was with enmax for power & Direct for gas…. My bills totalled $2900 for January & Feb - my fault for not watching or locking in.
I’m at $10.55kwh plus $100 prudential - Gas $3.94gj for 3 years plus $200 prudentail
try these guys Ken https://parkpower.ca/utility-bundles/

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if we all lock in at say $10.00 for kwh for five years and at year three it costs the power company $20.00 to produce the same kwh who is on the hook for the extra $10.00 for the last two years of the contract?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just recently switched to park power for electricity & gas… unfortunately I was with enmax for power & Direct for gas…. My bills totalled $2900 for January & Feb - my fault for not watching or locking in.
I’m at $10.55kwh plus $100 prudential - Gas $3.94gj for 3 years plus $200 prudentail
try these guys Ken https://parkpower.ca/utility-bundles/
Sorry Stacey. Missed your post while on hold for a slot.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help bud! I owe you a beer sometime. Signed up online for 12.79 cents on 5 yr plan
I'll take you up on the beer one of these days, I'd love to hear some NWSA stories... I work with one of the old cookie sheet boys!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Looked at mine with Enmax locked in at:
6.89¢/kWh
5-Year Fixed Electricity
Expiry Date: September 20, 2026 in Parkland County,

Not sure if that's good or bad. I only use an average of 610 KWH Winter / 400 in Summer, The other fees are more than the power bill
Out here we only have St.Anne Gas company for Natural Gas

Top Bottom