pulling a load with a Dodge 2500/3500 hemi

evan3000

Reaction score
I was curious how bad my fuel mileage would be running a hemi instead of a diesel. I already have a few diesels but need to pick up another work truck and was interested to see what the economy difference is. The truck will have 2500lbs loaded in the box permanently.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I was curious how bad my fuel mileage would be running a hemi instead of a diesel. I already have a few diesels but need to pick up another work truck and was interested to see what the economy difference is. The truck will have 2500lbs loaded in the box permanently.

I dont think it would be to bad cause it wont be catching any wind.Loaded My 06 half tone with my 5th wheel gets around 350k on a tank.It pretty much cuts it in half.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get around 20 mpg empty and around 14 mpg pulling a 12,000 lb 5th wheel trailer with my 08 3500 6.7 CTD dually. Before mods though it was pretty poor on fuel. I was getting around 10 mpg empty. I can go 600 kms while towing my flat deck so I am a lot happier. The hemi trucks were not very good on fuel for some reason...the new ones that cut out cylinders are a bit better on fuel but not what I would expect from a late model fuel injected engine. For years I have been building my tow machines and even some of my more rad engine builds routinely get better fuel economy than the newer hemis...and my engines have destroyed many modified hemis while racing at the track.

Do you drive highway more than city? If so and you plan on towing more than the 2500 lbs on the truck then I would get a diesel...if you are driving around the city and do not plan on towing very often then a gasser would probably suit your needs better.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Towing 2 sleds on a trailer I get about 13 mpg. With 2500 lbs in the box I would think you would be somewhere close to that or maybe a tad lower

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy just picked up a hemi and towing his 8000lbs trailer form the NE side of Edmonton he could not make it to Westlock and back on a 130l tank. I think thats about 300km round trip maybe 400?

I towed about the same weight from Beaumont and back on 90l diesel. For towing/hualing can't beat the diesel, IMO.

evan3000

Reaction score
Its for a service truck with a slip in service unit. It will be pretty much all highway kms

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running on 4 cylinders (MDS) is for 1500 hemis only. Really, if that weight will be in all the time and all highway diesel is the way to go. A 2500 hemi will be a dog and get no mileage with that kind of weight. Not to mention, without a slip tank you'd be looking at filling up every 300-400km. Not exactly fun.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I this a long box 3/4t?If it is a long box then the fuel tank should be larger.Should get more than 400k to a tank i would think,but i could be wrong

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I this a long box 3/4t?If it is a long box then the fuel tank should be larger.Should get more than 400k to a tank i would think,but i could be wrong

I am not sure on the gassers, but the diesels long box gets you 1 more gallon, 35 gallon tank instead of 34 gallon tank.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running on 4 cylinders (MDS) is for 1500 hemis only. Really, if that weight will be in all the time and all highway diesel is the way to go. A 2500 hemi will be a dog and get no mileage with that kind of weight. Not to mention, without a slip tank you'd be looking at filling up every 300-400km. Not exactly fun.

I had an 07 Ram Quad Cab Shortbox 2500 Hemi with 3:73 gears. Averaged 15mpg empty and with the 128liter tank would get 700km.

Leduc to Kelowna easy on a tank.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 07 Ram Quad Cab Shortbox 2500 Hemi with 3:73 gears. Averaged 15mpg empty and with the 128liter tank would get 700km.

Leduc to Kelowna easy on a tank.

O I wasn't aware they had that big of tank now, I assumed it was closer to the half ton size of 90L or whatever. Yea definatly get decent mileage, but not comparable with a diesel.

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O I wasn't aware they had that big of tank now, I assumed it was closer to the half ton size of 90L or whatever. Yea definatly get decent mileage, but not comparable with a diesel.

Half ton has same tank Unless you get a regular cab.

Oh and the new 390hp Hemi is better on fuel than the 07 345hp was.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2006 1500 w/hemi and 3.92 gears,.. 9mpg towing 7500lbs, used to haul my 600lb quad in the back, highway I averaged about 17mpg. But that was according to the lie-o-meter, mixed city/highway I was about 500km tank,.. per highway was about 700km. I had the 34gal tank and not the 26gal.

Being a 2500, and depending on if its a 2wd or 4wd, you will also be pushing a non unlocking solid front axle which will also kill mileage.

If it were me I would look for a used '98 to '02 ext cab ram 2500 diesel.

I will never own another gas truck,.. my diesel get 750km mixed driving and about 1100km highway.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I had a 2006 1500 w/hemi and 3.92 gears,.. 9mpg towing 7500lbs, used to haul my 600lb quad in the back, highway I averaged about 17mpg. But that was according to the lie-o-meter, mixed city/highway I was about 500km tank,.. per highway was about 700km. I had the 34gal tank and not the 26gal.

Being a 2500, and depending on if its a 2wd or 4wd, you will also be pushing a non unlocking solid front axle which will also kill mileage.

If it were me I would look for a used '98 to '02 ext cab ram 2500 diesel.

I will never own another gas truck,.. my diesel get 750km mixed driving and about 1100km highway.

Ya mine was 9 mpg to. Around 350k per tank. The most i ever got in mine is 120 liter with the needle touching the pin.That was towing the same around 7500lbs.5th wheel sure pushes alot of wind.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welder or X-Ray.... buy a diesel.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on purchasing a brand new truck? If so you may want to do some research into them first. One of the problems with the new ones (Ford, Chev and Dodge) is that they ALL have a very poor emission control system. One of the worst things that they EVER put on a diesel engine is an EGR system. This system directs spent exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber. The problem with this system is that diesel fuel needs A LOT of fresh air...so when you dump soot filled exhaust into the combustion chamber the fuel does not burn completely and it makes MORE soot. The engineers had a solution for that which IMO is just as STUPID as pouring exhaust soot into the engine. The decided to put filters on the exhaust pipe to trap the soot. So then the "soot trap" (DPF) starts to clog up. So the engineers decided to add an extra injection cycle on the exhaust stroke...it sprays fuel straight out the exhaust pipe to help burn off the soot that was trapped. What a complete crock of garbage engineering! "Let's burn twice as much fuel so the exhaust is cleaner." This is the stupidest idea out there yet all of the diesels are going this way...even semi trucks. My truck was only getting 10 mpg EMPTY! After I defeated these engineering nightmares my truck is now getting 20+ mpg empty and 14 mpg towing around 12,500 lbs.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on purchasing a brand new truck? If so you may want to do some research into them first. One of the problems with the new ones (Ford, Chev and Dodge) is that they ALL have a very poor emission control system. One of the worst things that they EVER put on a diesel engine is an EGR system. This system directs spent exhaust gasses back into the combustion chamber. The problem with this system is that diesel fuel needs A LOT of fresh air...so when you dump soot filled exhaust into the combustion chamber the fuel does not burn completely and it makes MORE soot. The engineers had a solution for that which IMO is just as STUPID as pouring exhaust soot into the engine. The decided to put filters on the exhaust pipe to trap the soot. So then the "soot trap" (DPF) starts to clog up. So the engineers decided to add an extra injection cycle on the exhaust stroke...it sprays fuel straight out the exhaust pipe to help burn off the soot that was trapped. What a complete crock of garbage engineering! "Let's burn twice as much fuel so the exhaust is cleaner." This is the stupidest idea out there yet all of the diesels are going this way...even semi trucks. My truck was only getting 10 mpg EMPTY! After I defeated these engineering nightmares my truck is now getting 20+ mpg empty and 14 mpg towing around 12,500 lbs.

X2 best mods I;ve done on my diesel.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This past Monday coming home from campout. 06 hemi 2500 with trailer and a quad on the deck. 9.5 mpg at 95 kph. The hemis make crazy power but who wants to run at 4500+rpm all day. Empty down the highway no wind got 22mph. Put in a bag of groceries drops. Good truck just sucks gas when it works a little. JMHO

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 of my friends have hemis that we tow sleds with and we try to avoid it as much as possible.

from what i understand the hemi is not really a towing motor the 360 may be a better option.

the hemi imo is useless for hauling anything other than itself. its constantly shifting and reving high to keep at highway speed.

diesel is well worth the coin forsure.

not only is it a pig on gas when towing but its alot harder on the truck shifting 10,000x during the trip rather than a cummins chugging along at 2grand the whole way

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I towed with my hemi power wagon for 3 years.
Hard on gas and constantly shifting...
10 mpg towing the toyhauler

Tomorrow I pick up a 2008 3500 Dodge diesel...This should work better

Top Bottom