Teach me the way of the fifth wheel

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This week we are taking the plunge into the deep end on a big new to us fifth wheel. Found a well used 2008 heartland big country, 3490 BHS. 35 foot bunkhouse model. It needs some interior work. Fixing trim and a massive cleaning. It was priced to sell quick. But needs lots of love. This will be my first 5th wheel. We will primarily have it in a single permanent spot for most of the summer on private land. Random camping style out by Drayton valley.

It's skirting on the limit of my truck. Over if it is loaded to max trailer rating. But we only plan to move it a couple times a year and never with full tanks. ram 2500 crew cab long box with Hemi.

My truck already has 7-pin in the box and pretty sure it has DSP rails.

But I am looking for advice, things to watch out for. How do people set their trailers up for long term random camping? The family isn't really fond of the idea of an outhouse. What do people do for "honey wagons".

Is the hitch tripod needed for long term?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there's any sign of the roof leaking and/or water damage I would beware.

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Checked the roof All good. No water damage on the inside. Checked all the plumbing no leaks.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like people have said have a look at the roof. I would get up there and reseal all seams and around any penetrations. Mine were ch!t from new and my front AC wasn't sealed properly.

I lived in my trailer for 1.5 years and never had a tripod support, my trailer does have the 6 point hydraulic auto level but im sure the tripod would only help if you can find one or make one for cheap.

Make sure to winterize all plumbing over the winter (but if you've had another trailer this isn't new).

Long term camping in one spot I would build a nice deck right beside the trailer. Help keep the trailer clean and not tracking mud/dirt inside. Make sure ground you park on is stable and the trailer jacks are well supported so you aren't having to readjust keeping the trailer level. Get under the trailer with some spray foam and seal up and openings, mice will get inside through the smallest hole and they are the worst.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check for recalls on the furnace and especially the fridge, could have burnt a campground down because the fridge caught fire, after found out about the recall, thankfully we didn't take and set it up that day. Check the carbon and smoke detector that they are working.

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If no hook ups a honey wagon will be the only way unless you do build an outhouse and use a something like a flojet macerator pump to pump the trailer to it. A deck is a real asset. Either lots of solar or a generator and gets yourself a fresh water tank for the back of the truck.

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

Decent trailer for under $9k I think.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally i've never been a fan of units with slides on both sides, but i do see the interior space appeal in longer term semi permanent set ups. Check the slide top seals. With slides on both sides you can't put a gentle slope to aid moving water away from the trailer. Maybe set it up a bit nose high?
The king pin supports will help with something that large. I usually set our up for week long stays. Set the trailer nose up a bit higher than the finished level and lower it onto the support. You can never crank them up enough to stop the swaying. Let the trailer do the work.
Really clean up the gears on the back jacks. They clog up with kinds of chit. Don't want to burn out that motor.

Top Bottom