Pros and Cons of the two new big bores

cdnsledder

Reaction score
Hello all,

looking for your advice, I am a non brand loyal buyer ready to buy a new machine or at-least put a deposit down.

I am looking to buy either the new 900 RZR XP or Commander 1000X

The power is going to be great on either. The width of the XP is an issue i will have to decide on but my question is reliability.

if memory serves my canam dealer says if i pay the list price I get the 2nd year drivetrain warranty with the purchase of the canam but polaris is only backing up their machine with a pathetic 6 month warranty. Manufacturer vs. consumer confidence?

the canam is all new and the potential for first year issues is huge but from what i can gather canam makes some top quality machines, right? In my experience my polaris quads and my '07 ranger XP (the work horse) have been absolute lemons but many people i come across say their rzr has been very good to them. the canam has some excellent fit and finish but the rzr chassis is experienced...

i dont care which is more practical or faster because they will blow the doors off everything else but who would you be more willing to part with your hard earned 18ish thousand dollars?

I really appreciate your thoughts on this. i wish this were an easy decision.

-cdnsledder-

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go RZR.....seems there is way more aftermarket stuff out there for that machine even with the new line up I would imagine the upgrades will be compatable and available now. just my $0.02

quint1510

Reaction score
Rzr900 well being a new model is a proven machine in the 800 models, I'd wait for someone else to work the bugs out of the can am's before buying one.

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A big deciding factor should be which brand has better dealer support in your area. With out a good dealer no matter what brand you have, a little issue could turn into a way bigger problem. Dont be to worried about accessories for the canam. There is already a ton of stuff out with more coming out every day. I went with the commander because of the dealer in my area and the extra warranty is a bonus

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really can't compare the two, the rzrxp will run circles around the can-an and yes, the warranty sucks with Polaris but you can get extended for both machines. As far as the rzr being to wide, I agree but it's only 5" wider than the commander.
I would suggest you take test rides of both and go from there.

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$18,000 would get you a Teryx with a big bore kit and upgraded shocks. Less suspension travel than both the RZR and commander, but would have as much or more power and no reliability/first year issues. Just my totally and completely unbiased opinion! :d:d

Seriuosly I am curious about both machines. They both look good on paper but need to have some seat time put on them to see what they are all about.:beer:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the power to weight is better on the polaris. the quality is better from the can am. if width is an issue, that could be a deciding factor, 5 inches is a lot. polaris has more after markets yes because its been out longer. whens the last time you heard of a shotty can am.

cdnsledder

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The 3 year warranty is a huge feather in the brp cap. If Polaris won't back their product I won't shell out any cash to them. Put the deposit on the 1000X today so damn excited! Perty lookin machine too!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The 3 year warranty is a huge feather in the brp cap. If Polaris won't back their product I won't shell out any cash to them. Put the deposit on the 1000X today so damn excited! Perty lookin machine too!

I think it is not a matter of Polaris not backing there product ,or any one else for that matter. It is as always about the dollars. You can get extended warranties on just about any brand,including the XP ,the more relevent question is what do they cost AND does your dealer stand behind them ?
If i read the link to the Commander promo correctly, it is EITHER 1300$ rebate OR 3 years warranty.So you are simply paying for itone way or the other.....imo. If you pay up front and the dealer/manufacturer refuses warranty (and they do ) then you are SOL.
I bought a new Canam renegade the seat started falling apart, guess what they would not warranty it , the quad was 3 months old .The only fair comparison is to price a warranty term for how many years you want , then compare out the door prices, safe to say but there is no FREE warranty. Several canam quads have had frame issues and see how the 3 year warranty went with them...... JMHO

cdnsledder

Reaction score
I think it is not a matter of Polaris not backing there product ,or any one else for that matter. It is as always about the dollars. You can get extended warranties on just about any brand,including the XP ,the more relevent question is what do they cost AND does your dealer stand behind them ?
If i read the link to the Commander promo correctly, it is EITHER 1300$ rebate OR 3 years warranty.So you are simply paying for itone way or the other.....imo. If you pay up front and the dealer/manufacturer refuses warranty (and they do ) then you are SOL.
I bought a new Canam renegade the seat started falling apart, guess what they would not warranty it , the quad was 3 months old .The only fair comparison is to price a warranty term for how many years you want , then compare out the door prices, safe to say but there is no FREE warranty. Several canam quads have had frame issues and see how the 3 year warranty went with them...... JMHO

canam is roughly same price (all in: GST+PDI+BLAH BLAH BLAH) after polaris rebate but commander has the warranty and it sounds like a good warranty, we'll see how it ends up but for now its much better than being SOL after six months.
Polaris wont even guarantee the rebate program. could be 1700 off or didly squat even if i paid up front today for it... I am supposed to 'trust' that it will remain similar to now. hinges on the program they are offering at time of delivery. So i dont even know what the final price is on the rzr. which needless to say is stupid and frustrating.

So with that in mind i feel more inclined to go with the commander

I havent checked on polaris' ext warranty. Is it a decent program? fair price?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
canam is roughly same price (all in: GST+PDI+BLAH BLAH BLAH) after polaris rebate but commander has the warranty and it sounds like a good warranty, we'll see how it ends up but for now its much better than being SOL after six months.
Polaris wont even guarantee the rebate program. could be 1700 off or didly squat even if i paid up front today for it... I am supposed to 'trust' that it will remain similar to now. hinges on the program they are offering at time of delivery. So i dont even know what the final price is on the rzr. which needless to say is stupid and frustrating.

So with that in mind i feel more inclined to go with the commander

I havent checked on polaris' ext warranty. Is it a decent program? fair price?

Not trying to sway you one way or the other ,just inform you. You may want to read the Commander forums and see all the trouble with the tie rods,steering racks and see how the warranty was handled on that......

http://www.commanderforums.org/forums/commander-general-discussion/2348-tireod-tierod-axle-3.html

cdnsledder

Reaction score
Not trying to sway you one way or the other ,just inform you. You may want to read the Commander forums and see all the trouble with the tie rods,steering racks and see how the warranty was handled on that......

Tireod Tierod and axle - Page 3 - Can-Am Commander Forum

No this great. Exactly the info and discussion I was looking for. I want to make sure I make the best, most informed decision. Thank you!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rzrgade is very up on the latest Commander problems...

Check the RZR forums for Polaris warranty and RZR history...

Lets see...popping out of gear, blown trannys on the 4 seaters, leaky rear diff seals, weak front diff cage, bent and broken axles, sticky shift cables, sticky throttle, broken sway bars....but as long as the new XP's are as good as the old RZR....they'll be fine. LOL. Personally, I would be afraid. But if the baddest SxS is what you want...the XP is it right now.

Warranty claims are as good as the dealer. Check around, find out which dealers are good.

KLX140

Reaction score
For Polaris UTVs and ATVS, I think a 4.5 yr extension is about $1500...
Negotiate and get a good deal on the warranty!!!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rzrgade is very up on the latest Commander problems...

Check the RZR forums for Polaris warranty and RZR history...

Lets see...popping out of gear, blown trannys on the 4 seaters, leaky rear diff seals, weak front diff cage, bent and broken axles, sticky shift cables, sticky throttle, broken sway bars....but as long as the new XP's are as good as the old RZR....they'll be fine. LOL. Personally, I would be afraid. But if the baddest SxS is what you want...the XP is it right now.

Warranty claims are as good as the dealer. Check around, find out which dealers are good.

I have and do own BRP products, do you own a rzr ? Let it go Dave both machines have problems and will....The difference can be the dealer ,AS I SAID above. The fact is though the new Commanders have had there fair share of problems, just like the rzrs have . No better ,no worse , but i can tell there is a Chit load more rzrs out there to choose from too...:rolleyes:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For Polaris UTVs and ATVS, I think a 4.5 yr extension is about $1500...
Negotiate and get a good deal on the warranty!!!

So the Canam warranty costs you 1300$ for 2.5 years and the Polaris costs you 1500$ for 4.5 , more or less.....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the Canam warranty costs you 1300$ for 2.5 years and the Polaris costs you 1500$ for 4.5 , more or less.....
Who won't let it go? Give BRP a break already....the new XP wins....you don't need to slam BRP on every thread possible.

I ride with a RZR every weekend in the summer...then drink beer and watch him fix it every week. He's on the forums here (RZR101) and won't deny it. I love the RZR, but it's more frickin maintenance than my old chain driven Scrambler. (I can't find the Poo extended warranty on the Poo website anywhere BTW...link me up)

Top Bottom