Premium gas with up to 10% ethanol.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some of the huskies stations in edmonton have 94 octane
but is there anyway to prove what octane level a pump is truly spitting out?
ive always wondered this with stations like tempo that sell discounted premium

I dunno about a way to prove it, but you can defiantly feel it in the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Testing fuel for ethanol

The following test can be performed to determine the presence of ethanol in gasoline.

On a test tube or olive bottle, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.

Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.

Cover the tube, agitate it then let it stand.

Ethanol mixes with water and the two will separate out together. Therefore, after mixing the water and the gasoline, if the water level appears to have increased, then the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used.

Ethanol fuels can damage the rubber and aluminum components of your aircraft fuel system. Ethanol increases the volatility of fuel, and hence the possibility of vapor lock also increases. Ethanol may vent off at altitude, reducing both range and octane. For these reasons fuel containing ethanol must never be used in airplanes.

How to Test for Ethanol Content | eHow.com

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I coulkd have sworn I read somewhere that all pump fuel in Canada had to caontain a certain percentage of ethanol? No?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dude who runs the Cardlock in Fernie claims his dyed premium is ethanol free.

How does one test that?

Would be interesting to know this too.
The little gas station on the way to Mable Lake/Kingfisher sells 94 marked that is sposed to be 0 ethanol.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just to let everyone know ethanol does do damage to seals and other components of the engine "if" fuel is left in the system for extended length of time. so with sleds and the aggressive nature that they eat fuel due to rider thumb pressure (you know what i mean) will have next to no result in engine wear or damage... this sounds like the hype that was around when cars "had to run on leaded fuel". the ethanol contains moisture this is true and this is where the danger lies along with the fear of preignition from older sleds that dont have computers that can control timing. if the fuel seperates and water is left in the system then you will have problems like corroding injectors or float bowls and other metals that dont like water. I am a licenced tech and have my own shop and have started to see the results of ethanol but it seems to be only on low useage older people keeping a full tank of fuel just incase the world stops tomorrow situations and we ARE seeing rust in injectors and fuel systems. But the bigger question is how long has ethanol really been in gasoline that we didnt know about... 2006 2007 2008 or maybe early 2000's ? havent seen sleds blow up yet so as for this issue store your gas at the gas station and do what i do... in the spring empty your sled of all gas and use it in the lawnmower... fall use the leftover gas from the lawnmower and weed wacker (yup that premixed crap) to start and get your sled ready for winter.... your going to have noooooooo problems

Top Bottom