Possible problems with the 174 T3

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on why they went to 7T instead of 8's? Gearing? out of harms way? Other??? I thought for sure they would run 8's with the added room of the longer case....there should be plenty of room I would think.??

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i fully thought they would be 8s aswell. could it be the gearing? thats already the lowest combo maybe they needed the smaller drivers to compensate for gearing?

that will probly be a popular modification for the guys that like climbing. 8 tooth drivers will help the attack angle slightly.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the Avid extended chaincase longer than this new Doo chaincase? I thought that was the reason people did this expensive mod in the first place WAS so they didn't have to run small drivers. Seems strange Doo would go through the trouble of doing this and still use a small driver.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the Avid extended chaincase longer than this new Doo chaincase? I thought that was the reason people did this expensive mod in the first place WAS so they didn't have to run small drivers. Seems strange Doo would go through the trouble of doing this and still use a small driver.

at least they are rounded 7 tooth drivers not hex 7 tooth drivers. should run alot smoother!

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree. As much as people may think they need or just want the 3" 174, how much of peoples riding is really in tits deep snow maybe 40%....might be different for some of the bc locals but for us weekend warriors I just dont think its necessary. My 153 will take me just about anywhere.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree. As much as people may think they need or just want the 3" 174, how much of peoples riding is really in tits deep snow maybe 40%....might be different for some of the bc locals but for us weekend warriors I just dont think its necessary. My 153 will take me just about anywhere.
Though I believe you're 100% right in this statement! Every news sled I get I think'that's long enough' 136/144/151/154/163..... Every time I end up dropping more money and going longer. I like how with a 174 that option doesn't exist.... Yet

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually when you know how to ride that type of sled, you'll find that a 174 will get stuck alot less and when you learn how to get unstuck, you will find a 174 is easier to get unstuck and not harder.

Contrary to popular believe you actually donot loss track speed with the longer 174, you actually can gain speed as you donot trench or sink as much thus less resistance gets applied to the clutches. In other words your little 800 will use less HP pulling a 174" track up a hill then a 163" up the same hill in deep snow.
On hard pack very little is noticed between a 163 and a 174, once the rolling resistance is overtakin. The 174 is a superior option in every way.
Being saying that for years I Love my 163 600.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last few statements are very true. The 163" will go anywhere, in any snow conditions we have here in N.america and it is user friendly on most trail conditions unless your running 3" lugs.
The 174" imo is more of a specialty track, specifically for deep snow hillclimbing, even with an average rider a sled with a 163 will run with a 174. Unless your a big chute climber or carry alot of weight on your sled the 174 is wasted money. There is NO real big advantage for all around riding, the only place i would see a 174" track useful for an average mountian sledder is if the dude was a heavy weight...like 220Lbs++
I run a 174 on my sled and like i said many times the fun ends when the snow set's in, then if my wife is not riding the 163, i do.
One reason i'm in the market for another 154 or 163 sled, but will hold on to the 174 for them deep days....when the snow sets the 174 is a POS to ride.
My point is, if its the only sled that i had to ride.....the 174 would not be my choice.

PS. there is no doubt though in the extra deep the 174 rules and will climb places you could only dream about with a 163, question is should you even go there?

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I do a fair amount of riding and im having a hard time going back to a 163 3inch.... The 154 is soooo fun for 99% of the time here in Revy.

snowshoe

Reaction score
Thanks for this topic string. I am about to snow check a summit T3 and am still up the air about 163 or 174. I live in NE BC and we have lots of snow most winters but i'm worried about the trail riding or set up snow with the 174. Couple of issues maybe is turning in hard pack and cooling with the 174 - 3" They have taken away half the cooling capacity in the Summit X T3 and with 3" lugs ot sure how this will work. Maybe the flex track and tilting rear arm will make it work for turning.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
AFTER RIDING THE T3, 174" AND 163" I POSTED MY PERSONAL FINDINGS ON ANOTHER THREAD.... I COMPARE ALL MY FINDINGS TO RIDING MY RT1000, REV800 AND XP800 AND XM800 .... I DON'T TRY TO COMPARE TO OTHER MANUFACTURERS ;)

There was a couple of arctic cat diehards riding with us as guest of 2 of the other riders.... They are switching to the t3, they are that impressed.

The 174 surprisingly had as good, if not better track speed than the 163 t3 .... Doubters no more about track speed.. After all the 174 is a lighter track than the 2014 163 summit.. Gearing and clutching are bang on... And love how you don't need a big run at a steep hill to poke at... They just dig and work.... With the extended chain case a better angle of attack is achieved and these things get up on top quickly.

The very deep keel on the ski works... And along with the better steering grometry, they really work. I'd have thought they would would've push steered badly, but not true. The tilted up rear skid section also helps,,,, they actually back up better than a regular summit in deep snow as well... The skiis worked flawless on slush, icey and packed trail, with much less darting than the summit x... Over the stutter bumps and mogul sized bumps the steering was good.

I was amazed at how the kyb shocks worked in the big bumps on the trails.... Trust me the trail down was rough, but the big174 definitely sucked up the bumps better than any sled I've ridden... And I've ridden a lot of different sleds... I have thought about the raptor upgrade, but might just go with the factory kyb for now, as they worked well... In general even with the biggest track available from any manufacturer, the ride was surprisingly light... The front end was almost "tippy", and really helped with the flick ability factor... The machine handles and maneuvers like it is a much smaller and lighter sled-- even though it's not a heavy sled to begin with. the tilted up rear rails worked well.

I rode the first half of the trail down on a 2014 with raptors on it and then the lower half of the trail on the 174 and I could see the 2014 sleds ahead were doin okay but the big 174 just soaked the bumps much better. I rode the raptor 2014 and the t3 with kyb's.... both worked good, but I think I'd give the nod to the raptor(slight). I'm a big guy and the suspensions were set up soft, and i pushed the 174 down the trail hard and fast and very bumpy, and i'm sure everyone that has driven these sleds are pushing them.... So far so good on them ;)

Cooling wasn't an issue, and don't think it will be, because they put the coolers in the best possible positions for track spray. the tracks do have small windows to help disperse snow. scratchers worked awesome and were placed in best possible location from factory.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
most of you guys make me laugh.... :) .... I remember when the 136"x1.75" was the big sled to have in the mountains, and everyone said it would push on turns and was only meant for the mountains.... then came 144", then 151" the 162" and 166".... all of which I've seen ridden on trails..... the t3's have some serious engineering in them, and I'm glad I've snow checked the 174" t3 ..... I know I won't regret it..... it's built to be ridden

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
most of you guys make me laugh.... :) .... I remember when the 136"x1.75" was the big sled to have in the mountains, and everyone said it would push on turns and was only meant for the mountains.... then came 144", then 151" the 162" and 166".... all of which I've seen ridden on trails..... the t3's have some serious engineering in them, and I'm glad I've snow checked the 174" t3 ..... I know I won't regret it..... it's built to be ridden

Good thing you've got the kids to make sure it gets ridden then ;)

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here is the Problem I see.....

I am thinking of jumping ship and getting one but......, Will I HAVE to Drink the Doolaide??

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, and dont worry next party i will bring lots. Ive got a Bulk order in at my dealer. Hand pump and all. even have 4L jugs to take home with you
Problem with Doolaid is you have to drink lots because it is very weak. ;)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So here is the Problem I see.....

I am thinking of jumping ship and getting one but......, Will I HAVE to Drink the Doolaide??

Only if you want to! Look what it does for me! All the energy I have, the high number of riding days, and the big grin I have on my face when I wipe the snow out of my helmet before I have a sip!

You can doo it big guy!

Top Bottom