Please help!! 05 bf 750 compression numbers

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thnx for all the help, il try and get her in for valve adjustment tommorow at a new place. but here is a pic of what i have been throwen money at, WITH NO RIDE!!!!:rant:

Attachments

• photobf750.jpg
    photobf750.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 86

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i appreciate the input. if i were to take it back to the shop (probably a different one ;)) what do you think the leak down test aswell as correcting the above mentioned would run a guy?? im really on the fence of how much more money i throw at this hog,thanks again for the help

Leak down test will take 20 -30 minutes on this machine. It will give you a much better indicator of the condition of valves and rings, and most importantly that a valve is not bent.

You need a lower timing chain, intermediate sprocket and two woodruff keys. IIRC 2.5 to 3 hrs labour with valve set and run up. The repair can be done in-frame.

Kawi dealers will have done this work often so they should be the fastest and be able to give the best estimate. Suzuki and Arctic Cat used the 650 kawi twin with the same problem so those dealers should have experience with the repair as well.

If you go with a mechanic that is not a dealer and has not done this repair before the timing marks are easy figure out once it is opened up. Lots of info on the net as well.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think the valves are too tight too and then the valves don't seat -seal and then u have low psi......

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i beleive i have found the culprit, the timing is out almost half way, i got buddy correcting it and getten it back to me, itl prolly be around 200 but this guy seems to think thats what causes the low compression. tell me if you think this is on track?

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woodfuff keys and lower timing chain are common problems. If your out half a turn check for bent valves; they are interference fit.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had low compression and had a hard time starting it but it would start, I put in a hotter plug and it started easier, I still ended having to do ring, piston and honing it though. I got a few more rides out of it, before the smoke was so bad that I couldn't see the other side of the parking lot, but still ran.

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if the timing is out 180" and tdc is opposite then the other cylinder this would typically cause lower compression in one cylinder when testing correct? also if the bike hasnt been run with the bad timing do you think il be able to get away without having to get new valves? what are the chances they have not been bent???

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't think you would bend a valve unless you have high comp pistons.set the valves turn it over by hand and check then again then check it one more time to be safe. once you are sure the valve are set, right then if it don't start put some oil in the cylinders it should fire up. if not then set on fire:p or maybe use either:eek: or do a leak down test. good luck. you should get a manual. get then for 5-6 bucks on the net

Andys

Reaction score
I'd say that's a good enough excuse as any to throw a Fundy kit in her

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awsome replys everyone thank you, what is a fundy kit ? And what's it worth? The thing goes like a bat outta hell I could only Imagine it would be wild, so do u think I do as the last thread says itll fire up no problem?

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya you can go all the way fundy kit hi comp pistons,high lifter cams(stage 2), dynatec or 6 degree key for timing advance. to do a compression test i think it has to be running one one piston with the outher plug out becuse of the decomp's,has to running or you will have low comp

Attachments

• kfx rebuild 004.jpg
    kfx rebuild 004.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 61

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya you can go all the way fundy kit hi comp pistons,high lifter cams(stage 2), dynatec or 6 degree key for timing advance. to do a compression test i think it has to be running one one piston with the outher plug out becuse of the decomp's,has to running or you will have low comp

so i just talked to the previouse owner of this machine,he bought it 2 years ago from the original owner for 6700 cash, he personally only put on 20 kms as he couldnt get behind it to toss it around. the original owner bought new and with 30 km on the bike took it to red deer to get full fundy kit in with traile blazer cams from fundy aswell, at the same time took the bike in to get full frame painted. so as it sits i beleive this quad is good for the money but that the last mechanic may have tried pulling a fast one, saying i need new motor or rebuild but actually just slipped the timing so i couldnt get it started. have you heard of people doing this before????

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you think my hard start will be gone once timing is perfect and vales are set CORRECTLY???

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya good deal if it all ready has the fundy kit in it you better hang on:eek:

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh man like i said when i bought it that day the thing was RUDE

Top Bottom