XM done died on me

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up a new to me Xm with a Aerocharger on it back in the fall, and finally took it for a little putter around near home. Well 10 minutes in it died. Towed it home, discovered its fairly low on fuel, so filler up and Bam! She runs again. Amazing. Next day same thing Again, It pushes home My Bravo with a stiff rope. Pulled fuel pump, hopefully the Regulator came out? No such luck, not only did it not come out, it has the updated retainer plate. D’oh! So I put The fuel pump back in the tank, rigged up some lines to it so I can test said fuel pump. It just comes out tees for a pressure gauge, then tees again for a bleed off valve where I can flow it back to tank, the hooks to the return port with the pressure Regulator in it. And a booster pack with a volt meter to watch my voltage. Fire it up Bam runs 45 psi closed loop, with no flow out of my bleed valve all flow just returning to tank thru the pressure Regulator. Adjust bleed open back to tank until pressure just slightly dropped to 44 ish psi, flows 1 litre in 1.07 sec./at 40 psi 50sec/at30psi 33.03sec/at 20psi 29 seconds/ and 10psi was 26seconds. With the valve full open it flowed a litre in 22seconds. So I thought well that seems like healthy flow, I mean the engine certainly isn’t consuming 1 litre per minute , should be good! Then I noticed the fuel filter has been dripping and its black. So new fuel filter and now sled seems to run better. Haven’t had a chance to run it, but it did successfully do five laps of my drive way so thats an improvement! Only 950Miles on it, so assumed fuel filter would be ok, but looks like thats not necessarily true. Anyway, I looked online and have since found out that pump supposed to flow 100-120 litres an Hour at 3 Bar. (42 ish Psi). So I guess Im gonna order one up, since mine is only flowing Half that much. Only 70 bucks and comes with a new in tank sock to boot. Oh also For curiosity sake I checked, that little pump dead heads at 90 psi. Not bad. Thinking the pumps guts are why my fuel filter was so black, pump is nfg.
Just thought Id share for any one who might be interested. Ill update if something changes once I get a chance to ride it. Just glad I didn’t go all the way to the mountains to figure this out!
ps: do the Factory pumps have a green top like my picture shows? Curious if its been changed already. I suspect I bought someone else's problems.....D’oh!!!:beer::beer::beer:
76D5BE86-2CFE-4D18-9E43-236911820E21.jpg
FC2348F4-8834-4456-809E-1E6549E446F1.jpg D1707748-C427-42FC-A7AC-84B20A9C2286.jpg

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this scum bucket is still at it. I have a new fuel filter in it, and a new pump on the way. Tried it again today with the new filter and same thing, it starts getting a really raspy exhaust note, kinda boggy/gurgly, then dies. The last time I pulled a wire, and it had spark so Im thinking not stator ?? Then once it sits over night it fires up normal again. Which i guess is ok, if I only ride it for 3 km at a time ever....... thinking Ill start doing some checks on coils, stator, basically anything I can test. All three times it went about 2-3 km and died. Then once fully cooled off, fires up fine. When it dies, its completely dead, no attempt at all to fire. Any idears?

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you had the pump apart you should have found 2 filters in the pump inside the tank and see how plugged those are. Pretty low kms for issues.

I had the same thing happen and it was the kill switch 1 time. Seems like you have electrical issues. Sudden death. Fuel issues would be a more gradual death.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. I think your right I will try the kill switch, as far as the intank filter it was decent. I have a new one coming anyway. And the tank itself was clean.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly an electrical device opening or changing resistance when warm? Usually a coil is more prone to that then a switch.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've diagnosed a failing fuel pump by having the gauge installed while riding.
Do you have a link to the new pump? I may be needing one myself.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See the link for Quantum fuel pumps—This is the one I ordered except off amazon. (Still sold by quantum) about $110. There is also another website “fuel pump factory”. Just use the search bar to find “skidoo fuel pump”. Usually shows as freeride 800r etec or something, but pretty sure there all the same. Just look at the fitment charts BEWARE on amazon I seen some as high as $250! Just order from the actual website, its about the same shipping time.
https://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/pro...e-e-tec-2012-2014?_pos=3&_sid=1b1a4a8cd&_ss=r

https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-3546...all-options-2011-2014-replaces-513033643.html

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep ^^^^^^. MK4 is in the know ! That’s exactly what I got, except with the Regulator. Comes as a kit. What is the Grommet for??

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cleaned and reused the OEM sock as I found it fit in the holder better, not sure what that grommet is about.

I contacted quantum to see if they had the fuel pressure regulator as they had a few listings for the older sleds. They sent me out a few to try but none fit, that was a couple years ago, they may have one now, the doo ones arent to terrible on price though if you can find stock.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick update: got my new fuel pump with a new regulator from quantum. As far as the Regulator fitment, no problems fit perfect. Run my tests again with the new pump. Same set up as before I teed in a guage and a valve to be able to flow off fuel back to tank or a container to time the flow. there is a large difference in flow with the new pump.
unfortunately it was a no go. Still died just the same as before. The hunt continues.
heres a picture of the numbers. The box shows liters/hr. The smaller number is time in seconds to pump 1 Litre. Big difference at 40Psi
D60F33CA-56D4-4A45-A3EE-607CD91A6DCE.jpg

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the one that comes with from Aerocharger I think. Says Aerocharger right on the box, it mounted to the console right behind the steering post.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever it is, it is Very consistent, it dies in almost the exact same place every time. It runs long enough for it to warm up, then head out with same results each time. :rant:

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever it is, it is Very consistent, it dies in almost the exact same place every time. It runs long enough for it to warm up, then head out with same results each time. :rant:
How long of a cool off does it need before it fires back up?

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive tried after about an hour, maybe hour and a half with no go. But usually after sitting overnight it fires up normal. The one time it was hard to start after sitting overnight, requiring 6-7 pulls. It would fire and die, fire almost stay running then die, then when it did stay running it was running quite rough. But every other time it ran ok after a good cool down

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after a bunch of checks I may have discovered something. Spark plug wires are hoopa chooped. Mag Side is open, can’t get it to read a resistance no matter how I twist and turn it, and the Pto side is all over the place when I move it slightly, from 950K ohms to several million ohms. Supposed to be 1200 to 4K ohms. Heres hoping.......fingers Crossed!

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a little suspicious of this wire.......lol

81DCE7D7-38F7-490B-9B75-A3DC46056587.jpg 81DCE7D7-38F7-490B-9B75-A3DC46056587.jpg 61EF4BEB-6876-4EA7-B361-852F688AA7CC.jpg
Well. Got everything cleaned up, A little gorilla tape and some of that good silicone, should be good as new....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom