Please help!! 05 bf 750 compression numbers

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey all very unhappy to report that after everything the shop did my 05 bf750 still wont fire. buddy said he did a compression test on it and the front one read 90 psi(after several cranks) and the back one read 40 psi. local dealer told me i would need a ring job or possibly new pistons aswell, please tell me he is joking. i have had this thing for 3 weeks sunk money into it and yet to have a ride! after telling me the compression issue he told me to smell the fuel cause he said it didnt smell like good fuel. im thinken if i replaced the fuel with new stuff i would have better luck of it starting. i have had it started a few times and just had valves done carbs cleaned plugs and all, i have fuel air and spark but she just wont fire. il be replacen the gas after i get it from the shop today then hoping i can remedy this issue. ive already put so much into this without any decent results. please sumbody out there let me know if i should have enough compression to get her started.the shop wants 1500 to rebuilt with new pistons and 600 for ring job. what do i do. please help:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did they say that with oil in the cylinder it came up some? [ an oil squert with out the plugs in it and then checked compresion ] ...

did it run last year? or did ya by it this way?

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had it running before i put it in the shop but figured the hard starting was due to gunk in the carbs, but he couldnt get it started, i have had it started withen the last 2 weeks, im kinda surprised he wouldnt have changed the gas before doing everything else he did,he beleives it is skunky but says the compression in the rear cylinder is low (45psi) im not to sure if he put oil in or anything but kinda find it weird. first thing is change the gas and try getten her going.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya well if u do a compresion test thats one of the things u do to check to see if its rings or not [ the oil makes the rings seal more and then comp comes up ]....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who did the valves? u just set them i take it.... its real easy to do it wrong and that will cause low compresion too....

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont beleive he tested it like that and that makes me beleive i have better compression then he says, he thought basically teh rings prolly needed to be done but like at huge expense. im at the point where i wanna get it running and hit kijiji with it cuz i cant dump a ton more money into it, but like she doesnt fart or anything when tryen to start, so im thinken take out the dirty skunky fuel thats prolly in there , replace it with new stuff and see if that makes any difference what so ever, cuz when i had it fired it would run good, big power and no misses. but with everything being cleaned inside and out it should fire with fresh gas. im pretty sure there is sufficient compression. please tell me if im thinken wrong here. and much appreciated tex:beer:
also same shop did the valves aswell. did it before the compression test, said the exhaust valve was good but the other was out abit

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh bet they fugged it....

it took me 2 times when i did mine.... oh and one other one i did ... it rattled after...... for some reason one intake was way out but it was the first one i did.... anyways must have had something in the way or what have ya...

so it never ran before and after they did it eh...... me i would have tryed it before i set the valves to see if it rattled..... cause thats what happens when they get out [ valves sink in the guide and then have exess clearence ]

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well hopefully not but much appreciate all the help man thnx

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
soo got it home, the guy was shooting ether in the intake tryen to get it to no avail,i got her home on the charge emptyed out the old fuel and put new stuff in, i was geten sum fluffs and small lil backfires, i beleive i am close to her starting let me know what you think, any help wold be much appeciated

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check the valves mine was getting realy hard to start they will tighten up after a while. also put some oil in the cylinders the rings can be stuck after sitting the winter the oil will get then moving.

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
valves have been adjusted by the shop aswell as carbs cleaned new plugs check the jets, im at a loss here, buddy said it doesnt have enough compression to start but when it does start it runs great and doesnt blow any smoke, just ridiculusly hard to start, also smelt that the oil smelled of gas pretty bad, should i change the filter and oil? does the 05 bf 750 have a fuel filter?

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya mine was hard to start once i got it started it ran fine and would start when it was warm. valves were too tight now it starts great. it's easy to check a lot harder to set right. take covers off and rockers should be a little loose on tdc. take back and reset the valves if they are tight

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya mine was hard to start once i got it started it ran fine and would start when it was warm. valves were too tight now it starts great. it's easy to check a lot harder to set right. take covers off and rockers should be a little loose on tdc. take back and reset the valves if they are tight

so if i reset the valves and possibly drip sum oil in the cylinders she will fire up you think?and do you think that the compression is not a culprit?as i said i got it back from the shop today and valves were reset monday, the shop couldnt get it started either and they beleive it was due to low compression in rear cylinder. i hate to throw money and parts at this pig because it is no longer fun as i havnt even enjoyed a ride:realmad:i appreciate the input:beer:

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also i have been reading, with my 05 bf750 carb do i need to plug the snorkells during transport? also would a dynotek module make it difficult to start???

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
valves have been adjusted by the shop aswell as carbs cleaned new plugs check the jets, im at a loss here, buddy said it doesnt have enough compression to start but when it does start it runs great and doesnt blow any smoke, just ridiculusly hard to start, also smelt that the oil smelled of gas pretty bad, should i change the filter and oil? does the 05 bf 750 have a fuel filter?

First of all find a mechanic that knows what he is working on and has the proper tools. If he still owns a compression tester you don't want him working on your stuff.

If the valves were set using good practices the mechanic would have found the problem. A quick internet search would have determined that the problem is quite common on kawi twins.

Do a leak down test to make sure rings are okay and valves are not burnt then fix the valve train timing problem, then set the valve lash correctly.

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all find a mechanic that knows what he is working on and has the proper tools. If he still owns a compression tester you don't want him working on your stuff.

If the valves were set using good practices the mechanic would have found the problem. A quick internet search would have determined that the problem is quite common on kawi twins.

Do a leak down test to make sure rings are okay and valves are not burnt then fix the valve train timing problem, then set the valve lash correctly.

i appreciate the input. if i were to take it back to the shop (probably a different one ;)) what do you think the leak down test aswell as correcting the above mentioned would run a guy?? im really on the fence of how much more money i throw at this hog,thanks again for the help

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also this cord looking deal is hooked into the carb, i think its a fuel mix screw or air screw im not sure,u can turn it either way and it appears its connected to a screw under the carb, im prolly dumb but and help would be great

Attachments

• photo.JPGjosh.JPG
    photo.JPGjosh.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 85

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the mechanic screwed up with the valve set, go to a different shop (doesn't have to be a "Kawi" shop). Ask on here where a GOOD shop in your area is and go there.
Could be the rings, but more likely just valves out of adjustment. Unless it has been swamped and took on water while running, then it may be $$$$$$$$.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also this cord looking deal is hooked into the carb, i think its a fuel mix screw or air screw im not sure,u can turn it either way and it appears its connected to a screw under the carb, im prolly dumb but and help would be great

Idle speed adjustment

TUCHODI

Reaction score
find a service manual and check the valve adjustment. i don't know this machine but it sure sonds like the problem. a leak down tester can be rented also and as long as it comes with direction it is a pretty basic tool. air compressor and fitting is needed.

Top Bottom