Pig Roast

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the family reunion this August the family wants to roast a pig. Last time we did this in '08 the brother in law was farm raising pigs. Now that he doesn't do that anymore where would the best place be to get a whole pig at reasonable prices?

I have given thought to going out by Sangudo or Mayerthorpe hunting for a wild pig but don't think I'll have enough time.

kathy

Reaction score
Try Calahoo Meats. Call 780-458-2136 or Toll Free 1-800-567-8371 and ask for Ken Berube.

Rhino Rick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sandiview Farms might be able to help you too, or Parkland Packers. I've tried stuff from both and was impressed. Never tried to get the whole animal though.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have done many pig roasts over the years.

Try Leduc meat packers

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
goota agree parkland is a small company that has been in the area for alot of years there is a reason for it.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
We have done many pig roasts over the years.

Try Leduc meat packers

Ya ever try the guy on Highway 2 but south of the Wetaskiwin turn off. Had some stuff done there years ago and it was great. Just can't seem to remember his name though :(

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
For the family reunion this August the family wants to roast a pig. Last time we did this in '08 the brother in law was farm raising pigs. Now that he doesn't do that anymore where would the best place be to get a whole pig at reasonable prices?

I have given thought to going out by Sangudo or Mayerthorpe hunting for a wild pig but don't think I'll have enough time.

How do you roast a pig, I was in Hawaii one time and they buried it in the sand with banana leaves and hot rocks. Kinda of the same thing here?? Or do you have a really big oven?? Post some pics if you do it. I would be interested in seeing what you've done. Or just invite me over for dinner :p that works too. :beer::d:beer:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya ever try the guy on Highway 2 but south of the Wetaskiwin turn off. Had some stuff done there years ago and it was great. Just can't seem to remember his name though :(

Place burnt down...........

It was great and he has not rebuilt. Mayer's Meats

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you roast a pig, I was in Hawaii one time and they buried it in the sand with banana leaves and hot rocks. Kinda of the same thing here?? Or do you have a really big oven?? Post some pics if you do it. I would be interested in seeing what you've done. Or just invite me over for dinner :p that works too. :beer::d:beer:

How many people? 80 lb hog is good for about 50 big eaters. Do not roast more than a 120 lber, it won't cook well enough IMO. 100 lber is about as big as I would get (never done anything over 80 though), 100 lber good for about 75-80 peeps IMO.

Here's a brief synopsis of how we used to do it (not including meat prep) - Dig hole, build fire for many hours on the day before and through the night, put rocks in pit (rocks get very hot - don't touch), very early next day level out coals, put lettuce/ corn husks (or banana leaves if you are in tropics) on, wrap pig in chicken wire and lettuce, set pig in hole, put remote thermometer in meat, cover with more lettuce/corn husks, cover with wet burlap, cover with plastic, cover with dirt, mix a drink, let pig sit all day - expect 10-12 hrs to cook properly. cooking time will depend on pig size and how hot you got the ground before sticking the pig in obviously - some smaller ones cook in 5-6 hrs in a nice hot pit, others might be 14 hrs if pit is cooler. A remote thermometer is a must. If you can butterfly the pig and no head it will cook faster also.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's pic's of how we roasted a pig at the family get together August '08. Constructed our own roasting pit out of cinder blocks and used royal oak charcoal berquets.

Pig marinating
IMG_2107 (Small).JPG

Constructing the pit out of cinder blocks and tin foil lined
IMG_2106 (Small).JPG

Bottom 1/2 of the grill
IMG_2109 (Small).JPG

Pig laid out on grill
IMG_2112 (Small).JPG

Top 1/2 of grill to sandwich the pig
IMG_2113 (Small).JPG

Cover in tin foil
IMG_2127 (Small).JPG

Flipping the pig made simple
IMG_2132 (Small).JPG

Remote thermometer for monitoring the cooking process but the wife didn't take any pic's. Basted every couple hours with extra marinade that the pig wasn't soaking in.

We only need a 60 - 70 pound pig to have a good feed for approx. 30 people with enough left overs for lunch the next day.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use a motorized spit w/charcoal along the sides,so there are never flare ups.120lb pig each year.11th annual this summer.Good times at the lake!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
That's pretty cool, cw.......... I've always used parkland packers, as my late brother used to work there, way back when. We've always cooked our pigs in the ground and basically buried them wrapped in tin foil and lotsa bbq coals under neath 'em.........otherwise we have "spitted" a couple too, but the inground pigs always turned out better.......

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use a motorized spit w/charcoal along the sides,so there are never flare ups.120lb pig each year.11th annual this summer.Good times at the lake!

My Uncle does a pig roast every year and it's the same way...motorized spit with lots of coals.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question everyone is wondering and doesn't wanna ask is...
actually maybe you should give us all directions and time for said pig roast so that your fellow s&mers can see/taste if you do it right. just sayin...

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to the hudarites by viking, they deliver! spit and a little motor and gear box is the only way to fly
when you cook the pig like this you have to offset the fire to one side and reflect the heat off the rocks for the best slow cook then an hour before its done you crisp it up by moving the coals around the outside of the pit in kind of a circle leaving the middle clear so the dripping fat wont flare up the fire :d oh when you check the temp stick it in the shoulder as this is the hardest part of the pig to cook,stuff some stuffing apples garlic and onions in the cavity and sew it up with stainless steel wire

mmmmm :beer:

Attachments

• SANY2623.jpg
    SANY2623.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 20
  • SANY2598.jpg
    SANY2598.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 20
  • SANY2589.jpg
    SANY2589.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom