Northern Alberta Hunter Shot, Mistaken For Cougar

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man this guy is sure lucky to be alive.

Copied from Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/deerblindsandfishinglines

https://www.gofundme.com/f/34xnaq?s...Vj3Toqxx1pXTRwM6rcfYdsi7mfUri7JaAaLNYxMUGGF-8

When you see us hunters constantly saying "know your target and beyond," Its because one day it could be you in the tree, or your son making a terrible mistake. Please, at the end of the day, we all want to go home to our families.

Here is Wayne's story

Ok so as promised i'll try to right the story of my accident but won't make it to long. First of all I'd like to thank everyone who has supported me in any way even if it was just wishing me well, its been an extremely rough road and ill most likely suffer for the rest of my life.
On September 22 at roughly 7:30 P.M. I was sitting in my hang on stand on a cut line on crown land about a mile behind my house. as light was starting to fade a atv approached but stopped at Roughly 100 yards then proceeded to turn around and takeoff. I thought it was my neighbour not wanting to disturb me, so I wrote him a quick text but evidently he never received it. About ten minutes later a side by side came and stopped at the same place, which I thought was very weird, so I got up and was getting ready to get down to go talk to them but I seen somebody run to the edge of the cutline. so I figured they had seen a bear, since we have loads of them around. Thats when HORROR! struck! A feeling that's carved into my memory it gives me nightmares I dream that I'm there in that puddle of blood just to wake up in a puddle of sweat shaking like a horrified dog. all I remember is seeing that vapour wave and feeling a thud on my body from a 7mm bullet. At first I didn't know where I had been hit but I screamed for help and gasped for air because I could just imagine my lungs filling with blood. I lifted my shirt and the blood poured out! then I got dizzy so I clung to the tree. Next thing I knew I woke up on the ground with my neighbour putting pressure on the wound, then I realized my lungs weren't filling up I think that's what kept me from blacking out. it took roughly 45 minutes for stars and the rest of the first responders to get there. they made quick work and carried me out by stretcher roughly half a mile. as soon as I was in the chopper they gave me four units of blood, they flew me to Grande Prairie and from there on a Learjet to Edmonton. apparently they flew in a couple of Canadas best doctors and if I understand right they worked on me about six hours, they pulled an artery from my left leg for my shoulder because the bullet hit the main artery to my arm. so the main reason my arm is paralyzed is because it was without blood to ten hours. They say with lots of therapy I might get it back but the chances are slim. so long story short the first quad was the neighbours daughter she thought she saw a cougar, she then went and got her dad and brother. when they got there before the dad even got a chance to look the 14 year old son had pulled the trigger... the Dad ended up saving my life by applying compression and calling emergency. they turned themselves in and I'm happy with how things were dealt. Dear fellow hunters I hope this will be a sharp reminder to use your brains! the only reason I'm alive is because the same caliber bullet that I've seen go through a moose didn't make it through my shoulder. if it would've gone through they could have never stopped the bleeding enough. And another thing I want to add is I've heard Quite a bit complaints about the police/fish cops lately yes they make there mistakes and even I've had some officers that were not considerate. But the police I dealt with was willing to put blood on his hands to save my life and he called my wife almost everyday after just to make sure things were ok. therefore I'm gratefull for them and really they're humans just like us they will make mistakes but they're doing there job and they deal with a lot of crappy people!
hopefully I didn't miss to much or make it to long
1f92d.png

Please keep the comments respectful.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this happened up near the hines creek area. Crazy. There are a few questions being asked as well, in his statement he doesn’t explain how he got outta the tree. It certainly is making a buzz in the hunting groups around Alberta. Not good at all.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this happened up near the hines creek area. Crazy. There are a few questions being asked as well, in his statement he doesn’t explain how he got outta the tree. It certainly is making a buzz in the hunting groups around Alberta. Not good at all.

From my understanding as well it was Hines Creek.

It's also my understanding that he passed out and fell 20ft out of the tree stand to the ground.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I expected this was a fake story about a hot woman hunter. Unfortunately not. Person is lucky.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
An incident like this, could be hurtful for all of you gun owners. I could see a lefty getting out of hand with a story like this. Hopefully I'm wrong.......

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An incident like this, could be hurtful for all of you gun owners. I could see a lefty getting out of hand with a story like this. Hopefully I'm wrong.......

There are rules in place already for young hunters which clearly were not followed.
Mistaking a hunter for a cougar is a huge miscue on what you are shooting at.
There ma have been no clean line of site/light to target and the parent/youth shooter not communicating together.
This can all take place in a matter of seconds, field time and communication is needed to help develop youth hunters.
This and a gun handling/hunter training course can not be overstated before anything bigger than a pellet gun is used.
This is going to haunt the youth and his family for the rest of their life.

Hopes and prayers to the hunter for the best recovery possible.
Truly fortunate to have survived.

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are rules in place already for young hunters which clearly were not followed.
There ma have been no clean line of site/light to target and the parent/youth shooter not communicating together.
This can all take place in a matter of seconds, field time and communication is needed to help develop youth hunters.
This and a gun handling/hunter training course can not be overstated before anything bigger than a pellet gun is used.

Well said and completely agree

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle was shot in the shoulder from the back while carrying a deer out of the Bush then they left him there and took off leaving him there. He managed to get to the road where he was found and took to the hospital. The c o and rcmp did a long investigation and they actually found the guys. They were airforce members . Then my grandpas brother was killed in a hunting accident dont know many details but it was his best friend who shot him .

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lets change that to a BB gun instead of a pellet gun. Some of those guns will kill anything.

Top Bottom