Over reving on the 850T

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I threw a bunch of weight at my clutch and still overreving and primary wound all the way out. Going to move up one tooth on top gear. Anyone no the part # I think the chain and sprockets are different for the turbos vs NA

Add more, dont gear up. Your sled is geared for 75mph before the belt with hit the bottom of the secondary. Add enough weight that you can raise a clicker position. Make sure you belt is in good condition. If you run out of belt deflection in the secondary with the 571, I recommend changing it.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question, is there currently anyway to get to clicker 3?

Add more weight. Clutch kit?
Different weights?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just heavier pivot weight, for 2022.

You can get to three with stock clutching too.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to step out of the box & look @ something different check out the SLP launch tube kit. It deletes the clickers & out of the box calibration is spot on. With the turbo you do not chase the clickers as the power is constant to 8k', if you want to fine tune it's easy & quick.

Very smooth engagement & power delivery without sacrifice to backshift.

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question, is there currently anyway to get to clicker 3?

Add more weight. Clutch kit?
Different weights?[/QUOT

So it appears to be a big secret as what people have done to help this situation. Other then get a clutch kit aftermarket. Next year we will be doing this all over again unless you let brp know your not happy. Open a case with your dealer! So this is what we had done.

984 ramps
38 mm pivot pin
7 mm weight
4 mm weight +/-

now we are in the ball park for OUR clicker adjustments.
so now you can adjust for your riding situation.

the stock setup in OUR situation was completely wrong with no adjustment. If you are still riding the stock setup at 4 to 6000 ft +/- your leaving a lot on the table.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How exactly did you achieve that?

I Added weight to the pivot, question is do you really need to be on clicker 3, With the stock clutching? We have my brothers sled on clicker 2, and he has stock clutching.

I can change my clickers from 3 to 1 and my MAX rpm MIGHT change 100rpm, one advantage of running a multi angle helix, but that clicker change, changes other things.
I would not get hug up on clicker 3 as a gospel, with the turbo. The secondary setup may be similar to the NA, but the primary calibration is different.

If the 2022 calibration remains, than I predict, this exact topic again for next year.

Look at summitizers flyweights setup, thats a drastic increase in mass to get his sled to where he likes it.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember when we said factory turbos were just pull and go.
Can't wait to experiment next year.
Not.

Fraser1412

Reaction score
I added as much weight as possible, that would fit on the stock pivot bolts from dynamo joe and it fixed 95% of my backfire issues.

2021 turbo.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are some stock setups over-revving and some not, and in the exact same clicker position??

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are some stock setups over-revving and some not, and in the exact same clicker position??

i think it goes back to my theory about "good runners" and that they actually exist. no 2 engines,clutches,turbos or drivetrains are built identical im sure. All it takes is an engine that got a higher tolerance drivetrain and operates a little smoother that might make an extra 0.5Hp which could cause these issues. Just my thought. this factory turbo is the true test of that since it equalizes all of the variables with elevation vs power.

we use precision equipment in my line of work and i asked the manufacturer one time how much extra time does it take to produce the highest precision insrument vs the lowest? he said the manufacturing is the exact same. when we run the final accuracy tests on them some come out high precision, some come out medium precision etc.....In other words in a manufacturing process you can build what you think is the exact same product over and over again but in fact some just come out better than others.

this fall i picked up 5 Identical 165 Turbos from my dealer, brought them to valemount and we all went out and rode together for the first ride. 3 machines were bang on 8000-8100, mine was hovering 8200-8300 but zero rideability issues. and the 5th one was often bouncing off the rev limiter at 8400..

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think it goes back to my theory about "good runners" and that they actually exist. no 2 engines,clutches,turbos or drivetrains are built identical im sure. All it takes is an engine that got a higher tolerance drivetrain and operates a little smoother that might make an extra 0.5Hp which could cause these issues. Just my thought. this factory turbo is the true test of that since it equalizes all of the variables with elevation vs power.

we use precision equipment in my line of work and i asked the manufacturer one time how much extra time does it take to produce the highest precision insrument vs the lowest? he said the manufacturing is the exact same. when we run the final accuracy tests on them some come out high precision, some come out medium precision etc.....In other words in a manufacturing process you can build what you think is the exact same product over and over again but in fact some just come out better than others.

this fall i picked up 5 Identical 165 Turbos from my dealer, brought them to valemount and we all went out and rode together for the first ride. 3 machines were bang on 8000-8100, mine was hovering 8200-8300 but zero rideability issues. and the 5th one was often bouncing off the rev limiter at 8400..

No BS, I ride with Ski-Doo's and jump on them from time to time. I am always shocked how some feel really good and some feel slow. These are not all turbos but all similar 850 models with 165 or 175 tracks. I was on one the other day and it was really snappy. I thought it must be because it was a 165 and I had just tried a very slow 175. I was then told they were both 175's?? It's hard to formulate a real opinion on the etec when you experience this. Most of it must be clutch set-up, I suppose?

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure why the variances in performance has occurred this year in the 850 turbos. I would have thought with today’s manufacturing processes that they would be more consistent. One thing that I find very interesting with many riders of all makes is that they have no idea what rpm they need to be pulling for peak performance. In fact most don’t even know what rpm they are running, never look!

We first saw the effects on the 850T the first ride out when we drag raced up the hills. All makes and there was no doubt the turbo was not performing. Very obvious. All stock sleds. And I’m going to say it again....there is no comparison from then to now. They are Beasts for a stock sled. And they are not for everyone. It makes no mater what make of mountain sled you ride most of us will never be able to ride it to it’s full potential. Ride safe

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my theory, that not all of the sleds come from the factory with the same mapping. Snow check R@D I call it, and they find the problems though warranty.
When I seen the calibration for 2021 I was concerned they detuned the 2021 over the 2020.5.

I could be totally wrong, but if the sleds run that different from one another, what else can it be? Extremely poor QC?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have my theory, that not all of the sleds come from the factory with the same mapping. Snow check R@D I call it, and they find the problems though warranty.
When I seen the calibration for 2021 I was concerned they detuned the 2021 over the 2020.5.

I could be totally wrong, but if the sleds run that different from one another, what else can it be? Extremely poor QC?
This actually makes more sense than poor QC to me. You may be on to something Matt.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the one i just ordered better have the hot map since i'm coming from a bd sidekick model

Top Bottom