Okanogan Shuswap Riding conditions and Updates 2014/2014

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did my maiden voyage on the new sled up to Blue Lk today, unloaded at 2.5 km, pretty slick road in some spots but no problems. It was snowing but it didn't amount to much, regardless, it was a great trip. Although I love the deep stuff, I'm still anal about just getting out and enjoying the ride no matter how much snow there is. I was surprised at how much snow was on the road, it definitely could be groomed now (retired groomer voice!). I can't complain about the trail though, the new XM rides 3 times as soft as what my old Nytro did, never missed a beat or a hill! She's all "hero snow" up there now, pretty setup and tracked out all over the place. I did find a few spots down in the meadows though that were untouched and, a big thanks to the guys that marked the deep creeks with their sleds, nice to know where they are! I did a trip down to Blue Lk, I didn't venture out onto it but I see that sleds have been going across, I'll give it another week before I try it out although with this cold snap we've had it is probably OK? Well, there was one "wet spot" as soon as you leave dry land where a sled tore through, I'm in no hurry. Not a soul around today, it was great, even got to open up the Rave valves a couple of times in order to break the belt in! More snow on the way near the end of the week and Unc Gord says they're gonna groom it this week as well..... Sherm

Attachments

• 141201d.jpg
    141201d.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did my maiden voyage on the new sled up to Blue Lk today, unloaded at 2.5 km, pretty slick road in some spots but no problems. It was snowing but it didn't amount to much, regardless, it was a great trip. Although I love the deep stuff, I'm still anal about just getting out and enjoying the ride no matter how much snow there is. I was surprised at how much snow was on the road, it definitely could be groomed now (retired groomer voice!). I can't complain about the trail though, the new XM rides 3 times as soft as what my old Nytro did, never missed a beat or a hill! She's all "hero snow" up there now, pretty setup and tracked out all over the place. I did find a few spots down in the meadows though that were untouched and, a big thanks to the guys that marked the deep creeks with their sleds, nice to know where they are! I did a trip down to Blue Lk, I didn't venture out onto it but I see that sleds have been going across, I'll give it another week before I try it out although with this cold snap we've had it is probably OK? Well, there was one "wet spot" as soon as you leave dry land where a sled tore through, I'm in no hurry. Not a soul around today, it was great, even got to open up the Rave valves a couple of times in order to break the belt in! More snow on the way near the end of the week and Unc Gord says they're gonna groom it this week as well..... Sherm
There's enough snow to groom to 17 km corner ( that goes to owlshead) from there up to owlshead it's not groomable just a FYI

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are gonna groom right through to Blue, There will be a few logs on that path through the trees but I think the blade on the groomer should be able to smooth quite a bit of it out. It might be a little dicey going up the hill off the logging road but other than that it'd be a cake walk to blade it out. Owl's has the worst stretch of rocks and stumps, real tough on the equipment without enough snow...Sherm

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice weekend in the N Shuswap......sunny skies and cool temps seem to dry that wet snow for us.....8" fluff then a good crust.....then if you broke thru it was that bottomless stuff.......3.5 ft at main cabin and 4-6 out back....overall a great first ride with no real carnage hahaha......just lotsa laffs and some great stucks.......B

Attachments

• IMG_20141129_124325.jpg
    IMG_20141129_124325.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_20141129_124030.jpg
    IMG_20141129_124030.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_20141129_123640.jpg
    IMG_20141129_123640.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 405

rcardle20

Reaction score
Nice weekend in the N Shuswap......sunny skies and cool temps seem to dry that wet snow for us.....8" fluff then a good crust.....then if you broke thru it was that bottomless stuff.......3.5 ft at main cabin and 4-6 out back....overall a great first ride with no real carnage hahaha......just lotsa laffs and some great stucks.......B

What area is this?

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the crowfoot web cam. I like it better than the boulder cam it's got the temp on the screen and you can see the snow pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You out at MPS all week? Looks like lots of moister for this coming week but damn warm, keep us posted if you could. Hoping we don't get another rain cycle like last week.

Thanks
No I'm off for a week I was up at hunters range today. The snow and conditions were great.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any one find a tether for a 2015 doo in the owlhead parking lot please pm me

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any pictures? Don't home for 10 more days, Have to live VIA S&M lol
It was ok I guess, It rained way up and felt like a duck lol

Snow was heavy and wet , hope it stays cooler than what they are saying as it will not be good for the snow up there

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would call the snow on Owls and Blue marginal. Still not a lot of depth. Saturday it was heavy as the freezing point was high up. Sunday the powder was a little better but still warm up top. When you can wear a t-shirt in December at the top of the mountain it's warm.

Everyone has a different opinion of what is good snow. The fresh still has a crusty layer under it. Break through it and you hit the soft stuff. I would like to see another 3-4 feet to feel comfortable riding most of the areas I like to ride there.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would call the snow on Owls and Blue marginal. Still not a lot of depth. Saturday it was heavy as the freezing point was high up. Sunday the powder was a little better but still warm up top. When you can wear a t-shirt in December at the top of the mountain it's warm.

Everyone has a different opinion of what is good snow. The fresh still has a crusty layer under it. Break through it and you hit the soft stuff. I would like to see another 3-4 feet to feel comfortable riding most of the areas I like to ride there.

I took my ast 1 this weekend and there are sure some week layers there video bowl had some natural releases that we viewed on sunday

Top Bottom