Ok, so you like your guns, but why do we have to put up with them.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if everyone agrees that citizens should still be allowed to have hunting rifles, my question for the people in favour of gun control is this:

why would we ban assault rifles and hand guns when they will do substantially less damage than the average hunting rifle?

i get a kick out of people saying an mp5 will do more damage than a hunting rifle. or that an ar15 or ak47 is "high powered" when in reality they are relatively small compared to the average hunting rifle. most ar platform rifles are chambered in 5.56 or .223 rem, which in alberta is not even legal to hunt big game with because it is considered too small! the ak, sks, or cz858 are all chambered in 7.62x39 is also smaller than the average hunting cartridge.

and sure people dont NEED semi auto firearms but people also dont need turbos or 80" flatscreens or 400hp trucks but if thats what makes you happy and you put it to good use why shouldnt you be able to have it? there are a lot of benefits to semi autos. it makes a day shooting skeets a heck of a lot better when you only feel half the recoil compared to a pump or over under.

all of the gun related incidents are tragic but to blame guns for them happening is like blaming cars for drunk driving.
there is no control that can be implemented or law made that will make up for human shortcomings and there is no way that guns will ever be taken away from the people that should have them the least, so why would it not make sense to educate, train and prepare the average person, in order to give them the upper hand, in case of the worst??:confused:

I've always laughed at how scared people are of an AR15. It's a small cartridge. My SKS is a more powerful rifle, and it's unrestricted. The M1 is one of the most powerful semiautos mass produced and it's unrestricted.

96sherm

Reaction score
you have got to be kidding right, you want a stressed out teacher having a gun in a classroom with a couple kids acting up? give me a break, think about what your saying.

Actually I did think about it, a lot, and I think it would also work as a diciplinary threat... Not too many kids would act up with the possibility of flying lead as the consequence. Notice I said "SOLID MINDED"...thats the key to the matter. If everyone was "SOLID MINDED" instead of sick and twisted, none of this would happen.

Then there's the conspiracy theories...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do u know if they are solid minded 100% of the time.

That's Like saying a wild animal that u have had for 15 years has never done anything wild then one day bammm...

Just takes once.

from my HTC

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who has access to an MP5?
It was just an example of the type of gun that we are talking about.

I use mine for hunting and target shooting. What do you use them for?
And what are you doing when you hunt? Shooting to tickle them? When you are hunting you are killing an animal! When you are target shooting, you are practising to kill.

#1 Please define "high powered weapons".
#3 How will it minimize massacres?
Pretty sure I've been talking about 1 type of weapon this entire time. High Powered weapon - A semi-auto or selectable fire weapon with a high rate of fire, and high capacity clip. Granted there are hunting rifles like .300 or .308 with more power in a single shot, but whether it's a 5.56 or a .300 going through a person it is going to do enough damage to kill. But a 100 round clip on an AR15 is going to do way more damage overall.
If these types of weapons were not readily available, they would less likely to be used in these shootings. If James Holmes didn't have access to an AR15 (or similar type of weapon), less people would likely have been killed in Aurora. If the XM15 used at Sandy Hook hadn't been readily available, less people would have likely been killed there.

I've always laughed at how scared people are of an AR15. It's a small cartridge. My SKS is a more powerful rifle, and it's unrestricted. The M1 is one of the most powerful semiautos mass produced and it's unrestricted.
Not sure why you think that us thinking a weapon like the AR15 should be banned means we are scared of it. I've held one and shot one, AT A GUN RANGE. It is an example of the type of weapon we are talking about because it has been in a massacre in the last 6 months.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I've been talking about 1 type of weapon this entire time. High Powered weapon - A semi-auto or selectable fire weapon with a high rate of fire, and high capacity clip. Granted there are hunting rifles like .300 or .308 with more power in a single shot, but whether it's a 5.56 or a .300 going through a person it is going to do enough damage to kill. But a 100 round clip on an AR15 is going to do way more damage overall.
If these types of weapons were not readily available, they would less likely to be used in these shootings. If James Holmes didn't have access to an AR15 (or similar type of weapon), less people would likely have been killed in Aurora. If the XM15 used at Sandy Hook hadn't been readily available, less people would have likely been killed there.
I love the way the media twisted that story!!! The AR15 was found in the trunk of the car, and 2, 9mm handguns were used, I remember that story being told 3 times on the news the day it happened, and there was footage of the FBI removing the rifle out if the trunk.
There is no such thing as a 100 round clip, it's a drum mag, and I'm not sure if a full auto rifle is even legal in the state.
What does it matter anyway, the weapons were taken without permission
from a licensed gun owner, there always will be a supply of weapons banned or not.
In Canada we are allowed 10 round clips but there is no law saying I can tape another 10 round clip to the other one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the way the media twisted that story!!! The AR15 was found in the trunk of the car, and 2, 9mm handguns were used, I remember that story being told 3 times on the news the day it happened, and there was footage of the FBI removing the rifle out if the trunk.
There is no such thing as a 100 round clip, it's a drum mag, and I'm not sure if a full auto rifle is even legal in the state.
What does it matter anyway, the weapons were taken without permission
from a licensed gun owner, there always will be a supply of weapons banned or not.
In Canada we are allowed 10 round clips but there is no law saying I can tape another 10 round clip to the other one.

James Holmes used an M&P15 (Smith & Wesson's AR15), with a 100 round MAG in Aurora. It jammed 30 rounds in. Some states allow fully automatic weapons. I believe that handguns shouldn't be readily available as well. In the Virginia Tech shooting, only handguns were used, and that was bigger than any that happened last year. Handguns are too easily concealed.

Everyone's argument is about responsible gun owners, they should be allowed to have whatever they want. A responsible gun owner wouldn't have had her weapons available to her teenage son.

Last edited:

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't ban guns ...

ban all those Xbox games like grand theft auto, and all the shoot "em up games.

of all these shootings, how many of these "sick" individuals were Xbox recluses?

social conditioning ...

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't ban guns ...

ban all those Xbox games like grand theft auto, and all the shoot "em up games.

of all these shootings, how many of these "sick" individuals were Xbox recluses?

social conditioning ...
I play some of these games, but I'm not out there shooting people up. Parents do need to be accountable for what their children are playing though. Games like Call of Duty carry a 'Mature' rating, which means that you should be 18 or older in order to buy them. Yet when I play these games, I'm getting my azz handed to me by 12 yr olds, that then proceed to say that they 'fawked my mom last night'. Parents need to be responsible as well as the stores selling them.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes definitely a product of there surroundings, movies, games etc all portray violent killing, etc. people become conditioned to it and act it out. i remember when i was a kid a couple neighbour kids idolized superman and decided to jump off the roof with a blanket as a cape, needless to say they didn't fair to well. sure was funny though. hehe

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes definitely a product of there surroundings, movies, games etc all portray violent killing, etc. people become conditioned to it and act it out. i remember when i was a kid a couple neighbour kids idolized superman and decided to jump off the roof with a blanket as a cape, needless to say they didn't fair to well. sure was funny though. hehe
Aim for the bushes!
This is a problem too. Too many kids are playing these games, and the violence you find on TV and movies is crazy. Parents need to either control what the kids are watching, or make sure they know what is acceptable, and what is real. I don't understand why so much violence, blood and gore is acceptable in the American media, but any nudity is so taboo.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
James Holmes used an M&P15 (Smith & Wesson's AR15), with a 100 round MAG in Aurora. It jammed 30 rounds in. Some states allow fully automatic weapons. I believe that handguns shouldn't be readily available as well. In the Virginia Tech shooting, only handguns were used, and that was bigger than any that happened last year. Handguns are too easily concealed.

Everyone's argument is about responsible gun owners, they should be allowed to have whatever they want. A responsible gun owner wouldn't have had her weapons available to her teenage son.

James Holmes?? Ok so your talking about a older incident, that was a semi auto m&p 15 with the 100 round mag, which he bought legally in that state, along with the hand gun he used after the 15 jammed.
But who cares what weapon was used!!! Innocent lives were lost because a human being chose to use it on another, ALL models and calibers of firearms are lethal in the hands of the wrong person.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I find that funny how taboo nudity is in the US but there are some raunchy games out there. I am not sure the name of the game but a friend of my wife's lets her 10 year old play a game that you kill a horse then skin it. Really! I would rather he see a set of boobies than that crap!

Aim for the bushes!
This is a problem too. Too many kids are playing these games, and the violence you find on TV and movies is crazy. Parents need to either control what the kids are watching, or make sure they know what is acceptable, and what is real. I don't understand why so much violence, blood and gore is acceptable in the American media, but any nudity is so taboo.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
James Holmes?? Ok so your talking about a older incident, that was a semi auto m&p 15 with the 100 round mag, which he bought legally in that state, along with the hand gun he used after the 15 jammed.
But who cares what weapon was used!!! Innocent lives were lost because a human being chose to use it on another, ALL models and calibers of firearms are lethal in the hands of the wrong person.

Ya, I was mentioning both incidents in my previous post. I agree that all guns are lethal in the wrong hands. The problem is, how to determine who the wrong hands are? Could be someone who has never had a record, or history of mental illness, but may have some problem (undiagnosed mental illness, or personal vendetta, etc...) and they have these weapons available to buy and then use on others.
In the case of James Holmes, he used a M&P15 (Military and Police 15). A gun designed for the Military and Police, yet available to anyone.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I find that funny how taboo nudity is in the US but there are some raunchy games out there. I am not sure the name of the game but a friend of my wife's lets her 10 year old play a game that you kill a horse then skin it. Really! I would rather he see a set of boobies than that crap!
Red Dead Redemption. It's a wild west version of Grand Theft Auto.

Graveler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a society, we should be growing up, not acting like children. I am getting a little tired of the "the government is just like Hitler argument". It is alarmist and not needed. What I can't figure out is why Canadians care about what Obama is trying to do down south. We have gun control here such as no automatic weapons, no clips larger than 10 rounds and no carrying handguns. The argument that the bad guys have them is mute. Gun crime in Canada is very rare, same as the UK but in the US is beyond belief. I am sorry that you can't feel safe without a side arm strapped to your ass. I have 4 grandsons that I want to see have a long and safe life. An armed society is not the way to go as more guns are just asking for more accidents. There is a time and place for guns and cities are not it. I am not a free love hippee that feels all gun should be banned, but why do we need armour piercing rounds? when is the last time you saw a deer wearing kevlar? The NRAs arguments are trite and full of outright lies and misdirections. If you can't kill your moose with less than 10 shots, perhaps you really shouldn't have a gun in the first place. We as Canadians are not prone to violence, but we will protect others who would have their freedom taken away by others.
I love the argument that cars cause more grief than guns do, that maybe true but now we are comparing apples to oranges. I am not suggesting that you not have guns, but if by controlling when and where you are to use them and minimizing the effects of said ammo, we can strive to make our country safer. Yes I am standing on a soap box, but letting the gun advocates have all the spotlight is saying that you fully agree with their stand. Please let the discussion begin. If all you want to do is slag my position then don't bother, I want intelligent thought, not alarmist rants.

gun crime in Canada is very rare? seriously ?

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/canada

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Ya, I was mentioning both incidents in my previous post. I agree that all guns are lethal in the wrong hands. The problem is, how to determine who the wrong hands are? Could be someone who has never had a record, or history of mental illness, but may have some problem (undiagnosed mental illness, or personal vendetta, etc...) and they have these weapons available to buy and then use on others.
In the case of James Holmes, he used a M&P15 (Military and Police 15). A gun designed for the Military and Police, yet available to anyone.

In Canada the Colt AR-15 and all variants, which includes the Smith&Wesson M&P15 are restricted firearms. They are to only be discharged at an approved firing range. In my opinion the AR platform rifle is the best Coyote gun that has ever been developed but I am a law abiding citizen and can not use it for such. There are very limited manufactures of the 100 round drum magazine that was used in one of the shootings. Most AR rifles in the US have a 30 round magazine. In Canada a Rifle can only have 5 rounds in the magazine so even a 30 round must be pinned to 5. But anybody with a file and hammer can do what ever they wish if the intent for malice was there. One more thing I would like sorted out:

attachment.php

You have now basically admitted that it is not the gun it is the person that can take a firearm and do horrible things with it. I don't like the fact that you would be willing to tell 99% of people what they can and can not have because some day some where someone might use a firearm unlawfully. I have an idea. Why don't we just ban murder? Why don't we make it illegal to assault another person?

Top Bottom