Next halfer with a dissel: Titan

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's alot of motor. Considering what Dodge went with for their halfton kinda raises an eyebrow when comparing displacement. Will believe it when I see it.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Way too much weight and engine for a half ton. Unless Nissan is gonna step into the 3/4 ton arena I can't see it. It's not like Nissan sells a lot of trucks anyway. The development costs gotta be huge for such a small number of trucks. I bet they're testing the waters with the press release.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone buy a diesel light half ton? If you need a diesel but a 3/4 ton. If you don't need a 3/4 ton you don't need a diesel.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They buy a jetta because they don't need a truck. If you're buying a truck fuel economy shouldn't be near the top of the list of things that are important.

...maybe true if YOU"RE buying a truck. Everybody uses their truck for different shhtuff, they have different budgets, and they drive varying distances. For those who drive 50-100K per year, fuel economy and engine longevity may be the top two items on their list of things that are important. Also, aside from fuel economy, the greenies really seem to like the new diesels for their clean their emissions. Besides, what percentage of people (Albertans anyway) who own a truck actually NEED one in the first place?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They buy a jetta because they don't need a truck. If you're buying a truck fuel economy shouldn't be near the top of the list of things that are important.
Can't haul trash to the dump in a Jetta....some people actually use their 1/2 tons as they are supposed to be used...light hauling and general transportation. Good mileage would be a big plus.

van isle

Reaction score
I'm sure the biggest reason for the diesel in the Nissan line up is for the NV line up of vans that go all the way from 1/4 to 1 ton or so in size. As for weight i'm guessing it wont weigh any more then a cast iron V8 gas engine. I`m sure they will use somthing like compacted graphite iron for the block just to reduce the weight.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone thinks this motor is so heavy. This is the exact motor that was slated to go in the Dodge half ton before the whole bankruptcy and then Fiat deal. There was actually a V6 and this V8 engine slated for Ram production. This is a light duty Cummins engine designed for lighter applications and was also tested in the Dodge Durango SUV.
initial testing was about 30% better fuel economy then the 5.7 Hemi.
Coincidently Nissan was also supposed to get a rebadged Ram as the replacement for their current pickup before the bankruptcy.
Nissan also recently hired Fred Diaz who was the boss of Ram division. Fred really moved the Ram market share for Chrysler.

This new Nissan will be a brand new pickup and I would expect it to be as good as any pickup on the market right now.
i wouldn't expect to see the 5.0 Cummins rated at anything over 300 hp and over 460 lb ft of torque, which is what it was rated at when it was going in to the Ram. It will require DEF and will get amazing economy.
I doubt Nissan has any plans to build a HD pickup, so this will likely come in a half ton HD pkg that will have tow ratings to rival Fords Eco booster at 11-12000 lbs.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will require DEF and will get amazing economy.

Although its possible for some trucks to get great mileage at 90-105 kmph, unfortunately for me a normal tank of fuel is mix city and hwy @ 125, and I will be very surprised if these new ones can get 20+ with "normal" ( for me ) driving.

I currently get 15 us mpg in my LBZ. Short commute mostly. Not much better on the hwy @ 125.

Don't get me wrong it would be real nice, but the other issue is that even with the 2500 my payload is pretty sad, about 2000#.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Although its possible for some trucks to get great mileage at 90-105 kmph, unfortunately for me a normal tank of fuel is mix city and hwy @ 125, and I will be very surprised if these new ones can get 20+ with "normal" ( for me ) driving.

I currently get 15 us mpg in my LBZ. Short commute mostly. Not much better on the hwy @ 125.

Don't get me wrong it would be real nice, but the other issue is that even with the 2500 my payload is pretty sad, about 2000#.
What most people don't seem to realize is that getting poor or less than avg fuel economy is a choice. Most people that choose to drive in a manner that returns less than avg economy don't complain because they know it is self inflicted. There are exceptions though.
like someone said before, a half ton will never do the work of a bigger truck. I sometimes pull a 16 ft tandem axle trailer with our F-150 Eco boost truck and really don't like the way the trailer feels behind it. When I pull the same trailer with my Ram 3500 Mega, I don't even know the trailer is there.
Ideally the truck should fit the job, but we know people compromise all the time.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With everything said we're kinda stuck in a horse power generation that is starting to turn to mpg's. I never thought I'd write this as I was once a 600hp smoke out everyone d bag but there's no need for big power for most people's needs. I never hauled more then a snowmobile with my 3/4 diesel I would have fine with a 200hp diesel 1/2 ton and get high 20 mpgs.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first diesel full size pick-ups were rated at close to 30 mpg
hp was under 200 and torque between 300 and 400 ft-lbs
I used to go hunting with a first gen dodge diesel we would get around 24 mpg hauling a 8 ft camper and a argo on a trailer
so I think they will sell lots of diesel trucks that get close to 30 mpg in the real world

Top Bottom