Track splitting on the backside of rod

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen a track fail in this fashion? It's splitting the entire width of the track on the back side of the rod. Not even in a spot with a lug. Front side makes sense to me with the application of torque. Backside though? I haven't seen this before, and I'm sure BRP will say abuse.

1000010259.jpg
1000010261.jpg
1000010262.jpg

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my Alpha track got up around 6000 km l noticed cracking on the rear, base of the lugs like that. It was a head scratcher. It stayed together up to 8000. You've got cracking where there aren't even lugs. Really weird.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird this is what my aftermarket track is doing on my popo, it’s only its second season.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, see it all the time. typically this is from track tension being to tight and now it is flexing badly going around the drives.

an easy/quick check is look where it going over the upper idle wheels into the tunel, you will see the track bow OR a bump rights where it passes the wheels.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen a track fail in this fashion? It's splitting the entire width of the track on the back side of the rod. Not even in a spot with a lug. Front side makes sense to me with the application of torque. Backside though? I haven't seen this before, and I'm sure BRP will say abuse.

View attachment 278540View attachment 278541View attachment 278542
Be sure to let us know what the dealer says. Weird that its cracking around the rod instead of the paddle. What model? guessing expert.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be sure to let us know what the dealer says. Weird that its cracking around the rod instead of the paddle. What model? guessing expert.
Expert. Found multiple spots with the same issue this morning.

Dealer put a claim in this morning already. See what they say

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, see it all the time. typically this is from track tension being to tight and now it is flexing badly going around the drives.

an easy/quick check is look where it going over the upper idle wheels into the tunel, you will see the track bow OR a bump rights where it passes the wheels.
Tension seems fine to my group 🤷

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 278580

See the bulge on the track as it goes around the rear idlers. You can feel it with your hand if suspect.

Notice where it is starting to split. Track is ‘wrapping’ around the idlers and drivers I bet.
Can see a slight bulge looking at the idlers. Yet deflection is set to the spec, 1.25" @ 15lbs. 3 other gen5 experts in my group, identical deflection and no issues.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a paint marker and mark inside track to reference the lug an ride that sucker season is short.
Upon further inspection in the staging area this morning, over 50% of the rods are doing this. None of which have a lug. It's only visible when that portion of the track is over the idlers.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious, or "seen worse, ride it"?

I have never seen a track that didn't have those little cracks in it after a bit of riding. I thought that was just normal.

Definitely have ridden with tracks in worse condition.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can see a slight bulge looking at the idlers. Yet deflection is set to the spec, 1.25" @ 15lbs. 3 other gen5 experts in my group, identical deflection and no issues.
Set to spec yet your buddies don’t have the problem…. Here’s the algorithm!

It happens on the ones without paddles because the rubber is has thin section there. Outter Paddle bars have a lot more rubber so you typically don’t see this problem.

Back the track tension down. If it ratchets you have gone to far. If your on the brink you will know, the track with vibrate at higher track speeds when climbing, +70km/hr. If you get that, go 1/2 turn tighter and your done!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s one thing that drives me nuts about the gen5. Using the same drivers from 2008 but with 60 more Hp and a bigger track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck with warranty, I had the same on a previous G4 track. Did you ride it during the deep freeze or transport it in very cold temps. I only had a small section of track with those cracks and it was exactly the same length as to what was contacting my deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck with warranty, I had the same on a previous G4 track. Did you ride it during the deep freeze or transport it in very cold temps. I only had a small section of track with those cracks and it was exactly the same length as to what was contacting my deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
None of the above. Has been incredibly warm every trip so far, and it lives in my heated garage the rest of the time.

I'm not holding my breath on warranty, but I might as well see what they say first. I'm thinking an m770 will be the replacement.

Top Bottom