New Tie Down Laws for 2011

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Changes to the Cargo Securement Regulations
Effective January 1, 2011 each of the minimum number of tiedowns required must be rated and marked with a Working Load Limit. Default values for Working Load Limits will be eliminated at the end of the year. These provisions were included in National Safety Code (NSC) Standard 10 “Cargo Securement Standard” when it was approved in late 2004, with a scheduled implementation date of January 1, 2010. Industry was successful in having governments grant a 1 year period of educational enforcement lasting until December 31, 2010 specific to the rated and marked Working Load Limits. For a full listing of regulations visit www.ccmta.ca/english/pdf/Standard 10.pdf

I guess I will be buying a whole new set of tie downs. Nothing I own is legal! :(

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats way to much reading,
regardless of how retarded it is you still gotta feel sorry for the poor bugger that has to word the rules and type them out.:eek:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I haven't even looked but are the tie downs being sold now got this load stamp on them?? :confused:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In part 3 there is still the option to use non-marked as long as it falls within the tables.
PART 3 - DEFAULT WORKING LOAD LIMITS
Section 1 - Chain
Section 2 - Synthetic Webbing
Section 3 - Wire Rope
Section 4 - Manila Rope
Section 5 - Synthetic Fiber Rope
Section 6 - Steel Strapping
Standard 10: Cargo Securement – September 2004

allinballsout

Reaction score
I had heard about this. Haven't been subject to any enforcment as of yet. I thought this only applied to commercial type loads??
I'm a farmer, get away with anything!!:p

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't even looked but are the tie downs being sold now got this load stamp on them?? :confused:

The one's I purchased at super sling are all rated and tagged.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What about superclamps

They are fine. This has been well documented in another post earlier in the year.

The new law only applies to tie-downs and not mechanical devices.

I have 14 old cam locks and ratchet straps that are NFG unless I use them on the sled or toboggan.

Costco has a nice set and they are marked. I think they were $23.95. Some of the others even though on sale did not have the WLL on them.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are these new laws being applied? I don't recall ever seeing anything to do with this in alberta at least not non commercially. Is the solution to use the biggest straps you can find?

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you may be right.
I pulled into the scales a couple of weekends ago and asked the enforcement guy there what was legal.
He said each sled needs to be tied down at 4 points(just like any other load) the superclamp on the front counts as two points,and then I had two straps at the back of each.
His take on it was they just want people to use some common sense if the truck spins out on the highway they do not want sleds flying around.He said they have seen sleds on a deck tied with everything under the sun and some not tied at all because they were not going far.....
So basically the rules need to be put in place because Common sense does not work on everyone.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easiest solution is stay out of BC and it's not an issue. That's what I've been doing.

Yeah, 'cause buying 2X1" 600lb load rated ratchet straps per sled for $29.95 at Canadian Tire is SUCH a burden.........

Top Bottom