Everyone should have a copy of this in their 3/4 ton!!!!!!!

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a snowflake I just looked BUT it clearly says M+S so I can't see how they can dispute that.

dozer

Reaction score
not 100% sure but as far as i know in ab. if there is no licensed mass on your registration you are only licensed for the min. weight which is very little about 3500lbs. which is ok. in ab. if you don't have commercial plates but if you what to up your mass you must pay extra. and once you cross the border in to bc. you must be licensed for the weight you are hauling commercial or not. in ab. they go by tire rating until you get to max.gvw. my truck is licensed for its max 8900lbs. and cost about $95 a year for the registration. I may not be 100% correct but thats the way i was told it works by registries office. remember that in ab. recreational vehicles are exempt from some of the weight restrictions but not bc. regiter your truck for the weight you are hauling to avoid hassle. if i am wrong and someone can clear this up comments are welcome

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is so strange, my truck is a 3500 and is registered as such, my gvw is 9900lbs and as far as I am concerned I should be able to be 9900lbs without hassle. My tires are E rated just like they should be I don't understand all this bs. If I am overweight then I understand but personally I can't see how they can bother you if you have the proper tires and you are not over your max gvw. UGGG I am going to the registration office tomorrow and get the straight answers before I go insane trying to figure this out.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is so strange, my truck is a 3500 and is registered as such, my gvw is 9900lbs and as far as I am concerned I should be able to be 9900lbs without hassle. My tires are E rated just like they should be I don't understand all this bs. If I am overweight then I understand but personally I can't see how they can bother you if you have the proper tires and you are not over your max gvw. UGGG I am going to the registration office tomorrow and get the straight answers before I go insane trying to figure this out.

Im not sure if your getting your "3500" confused with what you can haul... "3500" is the model of your truck, a 1 ton.... Your GVW should be 9900 as you have stated....
Not tyin to be ignorant Im just trying to ease your confusion

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if your getting your "3500" confused with what you can haul... "3500" is the model of your truck, a 1 ton.... Your GVW should be 9900 as you have stated....
Not tyin to be ignorant Im just trying to ease your confusion

I was not confused at all until I read this thread, I know what my truck is and what I can haul that's why I bought a 1 ton so I would not have to worry about this crap but some guys on here say I need to pay extra for registration and all kinds of things. I bought and registered a 1 ton with 9900lb gvw and THATS what I should be able to weigh without problems in BC AB SK MB and every other province in this country I think this is wrong information coming out here. Guys with 1/2tons and decks I can see being stopped but there is no way I am overloaded. I will see in the morning because I am going to check on this and put this issue to bed.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was not confused at all until I read this thread, I know what my truck is and what I can haul that's why I bought a 1 ton so I would not have to worry about this crap but some guys on here say I need to pay extra for registration and all kinds of things. I bought and registered a 1 ton with 9900lb gvw and THATS what I should be able to weigh without problems in BC AB SK MB and every other province in this country I think this is wrong information coming out here. Guys with 1/2tons and decks I can see being stopped but there is no way I am overloaded. I will see in the morning because I am going to check on this and put this issue to bed.

Private Registration is key... when it goes commercial or company owned/insured is when all the extra crap gets involved...

dozer

Reaction score
that alberta farm plate is of zero value when you cross bc. border. it only gives some exemptions in ab.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As someone mentined, PRIVATE, is the key. Once you go commercial, it is a whole other kettle of fish. No one has mentioned log books yet either. If you are driving a truck that is registered commercial and is over a 5,500 kg (i think, might be wrong), the driver is supposed to be filling in a log book.
At least our yard guy/driver is, I know that.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I called My Insurance and found out yes I can register my truck for a heavier rating than what the door sticker says... BUT, once I cross into another Province whether its AB or BC or wherever, If I get pulled over, they take the ;lesser of the 2 ratings as LEGAL LOAD LIMIT.....

So, if your "Insured" up to 11000lbs, and your truck is rated to 9000, and you loaded up according to your insurance's Registered GVW,and you get pulled over and checked... your up turd creek.... They go by the lesser of the 2 if there is a discrepancy.... IF ANYONE wants more info , call 1(250)-952-0577 ( B.C Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement, they deal with Private Vehicles as well), that's who I called and got answers right away..... Happy Hauling!!!

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also spent the better part of the day on the phone about this I called everyone from ICBC to AB registries to the scales in BC and you need NOTHING special Circled-Mistake is right they will go by the lesser of the two weights so don't waste your time paying to have it increased. My Registration has no weight on it so they will go by the one listed on the door. If pulling a trailer it must have it's own reg and it will also have it's own gvw. As long as you are not over weight and your brakes work when tested including the brake away function and things are in good condition you have nothing to worry about. Which explains why I have not had an issue for the last 25 years. All this worry over nothing. Bottom line is if you have two sleds on a 1/2 ton you are toast. if your not over weight you have no worries. OH and if the trailer is not yours you must also have a letter from the owner saying you have permission to use it.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sigh of relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone close this thread quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: cs5

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked this in another thread but this one is busier:
1. Do all vehicles need chains, private and commercial?
2. Chains or cable type?
3. Do you need chains for 4 tires?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked this in another thread but this one is busier:
1. Do all vehicles need chains, private and commercial?
2. Chains or cable type?
3. Do you need chains for 4 tires?

Commercial vehicles are required to carry chains.

Private vehicles are required to have either snow rated tires or chains on roads where there is a sign stating it is mandatory. This basically applies to any road in BC north of the lower mainland.

You only need chains for 2 tires. The type of chain is your choice.

FTBeaver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is that even though I only have a 3500 I am licensed commercial for work so do I have to pull into the scales? Does the sign not say 4500kgs? I don't remember now :(

Yes you legally have to pull into the scales. If you aren't pulling a trailer they won't bother you. If you have a deck rather than a box on your truck then they will chase you down if you bypass the scales. My 3/4 ton work truck is registered for 4490 just so I don't have to do the log book or pull into the scales. The only bad thing about that is that I can't legally pull a trailer or have much of a load in the truck.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I should have been more clear, because I use the truck for work I am insured for commercial BUT my registration is passenger and because I am coming into BC only for pleasure and not doing any work I do not have to stop at the scales. I called the scales in Golden today. I can pull my trailer from coast to coast with NO ISSUES.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I should have been more clear, because I use the truck for work I am insured for commercial BUT my registration is passenger and because I am coming into BC only for pleasure and not doing any work I do not have to stop at the scales. I called the scales in Golden today. I can pull my trailer from coast to coast with NO ISSUES.
i have been saying that for years i am not a commercial vehicle there fore iam not required to stop at the scales,REGARDLESS of my gvw, i can have an 18 wheeler registered as a private not for hire unit and i am not required to stop. as the scales are to regulate commercial traffic only.........................
however..................... if an rc stops you they can give you an overweight ticket if they want. j/s

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have been saying that for years i am not a commercial vehicle there fore iam not required to stop at the scales,REGARDLESS of my gvw, i can have an 18 wheeler registered as a private not for hire unit and i am not required to stop. as the scales are to regulate commercial traffic only.........................
however..................... if an rc stops you they can give you an overweight ticket if they want. j/s

thx for ur input!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Top Bottom