New Tie Down Laws for 2011

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get an orange triangle slow moving sign and a farm plate and your good to go haha:d

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Not good enough have to be 2" straps....according to Vale RCMP

Size has no bearing...it could be a 1/4" strap if its rated correctly (and high enough of course).

You guys need to learn the laws before you head out so at least you have some ammunition when or if you do get pulled over...

There are 2" straps rated lower than 1" straps...just sayin...

Not directing this at you Murm...I just get so tired of all the people continuously complaining on here about the cops...IF you get a ticket, and are in the right, fight the dang ticket. Not sure what jurisdiction these Vale cops were running under when they ticketed all these guys, but it sounds like a gong show. Private (non commercial) vehicles have so few rules and regulations to follow, and the average RCMP doesnt know chit about commercial rules, so Im still confused as to what regulations they were enforcing.

Bottom line, there are still a ton of people on this site that have ZERO idea what the hiway traffic safety act is...Get a copy, have a read...

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is a Brilliant idea???lots of great mountain sledding in sk:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Take a look at a map. With the same drive time to get to say Revy you can be in some world class sledding in Mt, Wy.

Bingo. Within 200 miles from home, I'm across the border and not getting stabbed for fuel, etc.

Yeah, 'cause buying 2X1" 600lb load rated ratchet straps per sled for $29.95 at Canadian Tire is SUCH a burden.........

It's not the straps, it's the constant worry of getting stopped and ticketed for some cops loose interpretation of a law that may or may not exist. I've moved equipment commercially, so I'm well aware of what is required, but every time I've ever been stopped, each DOT guy has his own rendition of it. Look at this thread, no one can really tell us what is required, legal, not, etc. Ya, you can fight a ticket, but when you live 700 miles away, is it worth taking a minimum of 2 days out of your life to deal with it? Screw it, I'll head somewhere where law enforcement aren't using tourists as a cash cow.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Bought a couple new ones with the ratings on them good to go. Good to replace them periodically anyways I suppose. :)

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I do tie down the back of the sleds in the enclosed but only one per two machines. Not gonna change that.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo. Within 200 miles from home, I'm across the border and not getting stabbed for fuel, etc.

It's not the straps, it's the constant worry of getting stopped and ticketed for some cops loose interpretation of a law that may or may not exist. I've moved equipment commercially, so I'm well aware of what is required, but every time I've ever been stopped, each DOT guy has his own rendition of it. Look at this thread, no one can really tell us what is required, legal, not, etc. Ya, you can fight a ticket, but when you live 700 miles away, is it worth taking a minimum of 2 days out of your life to deal with it? Screw it, I'll head somewhere where law enforcement aren't using tourists as a cash cow.

More powder for us :) bye bye

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your intelligent, well thought out response... :rolleyes:
Basically what you are saying is you cannot interpret the laws that pertain to you?I along with a lot of other people travel into BC to enjoy the great sledding there.If for some reason the rules are too tough for you to follow then by all means stay out of BC. I am sure you have not gotten a call from anyone begging you to return:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
And sorry I could not come up with a response as Brilliant as this >>>>>

Re: New Tie Down Laws for 2011
Easiest solution is stay out of BC and it's not an issue. That's what I've been doing.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically what you are saying is you cannot interpret the laws that pertain to you?I along with a lot of other people travel into BC to enjoy the great sledding there.If for some reason the rules are too tough for you to follow then by all means stay out of BC. I am sure you have not gotten a call from anyone begging you to return:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
And sorry I could not come up with a response as Brilliant as this >>>>>

Re: New Tie Down Laws for 2011
Easiest solution is stay out of BC and it's not an issue. That's what I've been doing.

How about you interpret them for me seeing as you seem to know. You're the smart-ass that tossed out the remark about sledding in Saskatchewan, so how about you help someone out instead of flailing a crap attitude seeing I'm so brilliant.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about you interpret them for me seeing as you seem to know. You're the smart-ass that tossed out the remark about sledding in Saskatchewan, so how about you help someone out instead of flailing a crap attitude seeing I'm so brilliant.

Size has no bearing...it could be a 1/4" strap if its rated correctly (and high enough of course).

You guys need to learn the laws before you head out so at least you have some ammunition when or if you do get pulled over...

There are 2" straps rated lower than 1" straps...just sayin...

Not directing this at you Murm...I just get so tired of all the people continuously complaining on here about the cops...IF you get a ticket, and are in the right, fight the dang ticket. Not sure what jurisdiction these Vale cops were running under when they ticketed all these guys, but it sounds like a gong show. Private (non commercial) vehicles have so few rules and regulations to follow, and the average RCMP doesnt know chit about commercial rules, so Im still confused as to what regulations they were enforcing.

Bottom line, there are still a ton of people on this site that have ZERO idea what the hiway traffic safety act is...Get a copy, have a read...

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
88(1) Light vehicles shall be secured in accordance with this section.
(2) Despite section 22, a light vehicle shall be restrained at both the front and rear from
moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically using a minimum of 2 tiedowns.
(3) Tiedowns that are designed to attach to the structure of a light vehicle shall be attached to
the mounting points on the vehicle that are specifically designed for that purpose.
(4) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of a light vehicle shall
restrain the vehicle from moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically.
(5) Despite section 20, edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where
the webbing comes into contact with the tires of the light vehicle.

Now is that 2 tie downs total.............orrrrrrrr 2 tie downs at each end?
see how easy it can be confused.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
88(1) Light vehicles shall be secured in accordance with this section.
(2) Despite section 22, a light vehicle shall be restrained at both the front and rear from
moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically using a minimum of 2 tiedowns.
(3) Tiedowns that are designed to attach to the structure of a light vehicle shall be attached to
the mounting points on the vehicle that are specifically designed for that purpose.
(4) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of a light vehicle shall
restrain the vehicle from moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically.
(5) Despite section 20, edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where
the webbing comes into contact with the tires of the light vehicle.

Now is that 2 tie downs total.............orrrrrrrr 2 tie downs at each end?
see how easy it can be confused.
sounds like just two straps to me.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice find growly, i can see problems wirh 2 tie downs 1 on front and rear with the sideways movement, you would have to get them snugged so tight that your springs, shocks etc, would be fugged real quick. i'm sure some will say oterwise but what do they know.
i like 2 straps on rear, superclamp on front. just common sense and extra protection, seen straps break and come loose before.:beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
(2) Despite section 22, a light vehicle shall be restrained at both the front and rear from moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically using a minimum of 2 tiedowns.

It says a minimum of two tiedowns and the kicker or monkey wrench may be what "Section 22" states.

I agree with the younger ol' fart; hard to keep the sled/quad from moving through any of the 4 aspects with only 2 tiedowns.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe see #2, sideways movement, your straps may have to be awful tight. but that is your choice.

I guess a person would have to find out what sec. 22 says. Our old 3place open trailer, we use to 4 just because it felt more vulnerable without sides or tracking, but now that we have a 4 place enclosed, we ran 4 strips of superglides for the skis, and two strips of tracking for tie down under each set of sleds. We pull down on the front and in towards the walls, with the superglides there is no side movement, and on the back we use two straps. we're comfortable with this and haven't had any issues, is it right maybe not but i've read posts where some say they never strap down (in an enclosed).
Also some of the trailers i looked at as well as the the one we bought, with the original tie down loops, we actually ended up pulling half the loops out of the floor when we strapped down because how poorly they were mounted.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess a person would have to find out what sec. 22 says. Our old 3place open trailer, we use to 4 just because it felt more vulnerable without sides or tracking, but now that we have a 4 place enclosed, we ran 4 strips of superglides for the skis, and two strips of tracking for tie down under each set of sleds. We pull down on the front and in towards the walls, with the superglides there is no side movement, and on the back we use two straps. we're comfortable with this and haven't had any issues, is it right maybe not but i've read posts where some say they never strap down (in an enclosed).
Also some of the trailers i looked at as well as the the one we bought, with the original tie down loops, we actually ended up pulling half the loops out of the floor when we strapped down because how poorly they were mounted.

ask polarice he flipped his trailer on it's side. think he hsd suprclamps that held his sled down, i have always used 4 straps habit i guess.

nwoprormk

Reaction score
Spoke with BC RCMP about this today. Snowmobiles are considered a light vehicle and require 2 points of tie down..... One in front and one in rear. Superclamps are legal.... But i was also told if the sled is more than 4' hanging off the back it needs a single red light or a red flag of sorts. Just FYI

Top Bottom