New helmet law to be announced Monday

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds as the government is going to announce the new helmet law for off highway vehicles on Monday probably be effective January 1
sure hope that is the only change coming
parents should be able to decide when there kids are able to ride not the government

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes but unfortunately not all parents are responsible when it comes to youth riders. You can thank them for what may change. How many times have we seen a parent hand a young rider the keys to a machine that is far to big for them and sit at the truck drinking?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day,

The Government of Alberta will be proposing changes to the rules for off-highway vehicle riders. These changes incorporate the feedback received from Albertans, communities, and groups like yours, during the engagement about off-highway vehicle riders wearing helmets on public land held in September 2016.

Off-highway vehicles are any vehicles built for cross-country travel on land, water, snow, ice or other natural terrain. Common types include all-terrain vehicles, quads, snowmobiles, and dirt bikes. Excluded are implements of husbandry (e.g. tractor) and roadbuilding vehicles.

You are invited to an information session to learn about the proposed changes. The Information session will be held on:

Date: November 29, 2016
Time: 2:00PM – 3:00PM
Location: Carillon Room, Alberta Legislature Building, 10800- 97 Ave NW Edmonton

For those unable to attend in-person, a telephone conference option is available. To access the conference call, at the scheduled time, please dial 1-888-231-8190 and follow the system prompts to enter the conference ID number of 27897279.

Please RSVP by 1:00PM on November 28, 2016 to the Office of Traffic Safety at officeoftrafficsafety@gov.ab.ca or by phone at 780‑644-8797 (toll-free by first dialing 310‑0000). We would appreciate it if you would indicate whether you will attend in-person or by conference call, the name of your organization, and the number of participants.

Thank you for taking the time to consider learning more about proposed changes to the rules for helmet use for off-highway vehicle riders on public land.

Regards.

Office of Traffic Safety
Alberta Transportation
Government of Alberta

511 Alberta - Alberta’s Official Road Reports
Go to and follow @511Alberta

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should have been a law years ago. Many people would be alive today, had they been wearing a helmet.

Sounds as the government is going to announce the new helmet law for off highway vehicles on Monday probably be effective January 1
sure hope that is the only change coming
parents should be able to decide when there kids are able to ride not the government

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All good as humans except change, hope they pass a seat belt law for quads and under seat air bag in-case I bottom out in a mud hole, Ha.

Air bag can launch the rider clear of going down with the ship and help the quad float till help arrives.

All win win with laws that promote safety and recovery.

SamStorm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have no problem with mandatory helmet law. Especially for kids. Adults are able to make their own dumb decisions if they want to wear a helmet or not. They are old enough. Helmets should be mandatory for kids on OHV's.
Don't they have law about bicycle helmets being mandatory? Not sure if Alberta does, but think they do in other places. Could be wrong, haven't ridden a pedal bike in many, many years.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I you ask me it's a joke,lets wear helmets on quads, but legalize marajauna, I feel it should be up to us if we feel we should be wearing a helmet or not, I've been riding my quad for a long time now I have to wear one out dragging my ice shack around while fishing, it's to many laws, making all the good things in life not that good anymore, putting more gun regulations out, helmet laws, pretty soon your gonna have to show a card to purchase a mountain sled, to prove you passed the Avalanche courses and can drive a snowmobile so I read in the new Canadian snowmobiling magazine out, it's getting outta hand fast

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone should start another thread b*tching about having to pay higher taxes and health premiums to cover costs for the moron that decided not to wear a helmet and is now in a vegetative state or paralyzed and now him and his family need to live on Gov't handouts. js.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what?
There are a lot out there that need laws to protect them. Your post proves it. I actually think it's a great idea to have the helmet laws, and having a mandatory certification for avalanche training would also be good, lots of rescue people have to scoop up brains, or haul frozen corpses out of the wilderness, because of these issues..

I you ask me it's a joke,lets wear helmets on quads, but legalize marajauna, I feel it should be up to us if we feel we should be wearing a helmet or not, I've been riding my quad for a long time now I have to wear one out dragging my ice shack around while fishing, it's to many laws, making all the good things in life not that good anymore, putting more gun regulations out, helmet laws, pretty soon your gonna have to show a card to purchase a mountain sled, to prove you passed the Avalanche courses and can drive a snowmobile so I read in the new Canadian snowmobiling magazine out, it's getting outta hand fast

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone should start another thread b*tching about having to pay higher taxes and health premiums to cover costs for the moron that decided not to wear a helmet and is now in a vegetative state or paralyzed and now him and his family need to live on Gov't handouts. js.

We pay everytime for smokers through our taxes who decided to suck in cigarette smoke their whole lifes now that's stupid, or anyone who wants a sex change, so if someone falls off a quad I'll pay for that too, hell I fund people who don't work who are fine

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope nobody gets a ticket loading atv or just crossing camp.Hopefully the fish cops are cool about it...there's a difference between riding and putting across camp.I don't know anyone that doesn't wear one "riding" but you don't need one to go to the beach at the lake so FU law lovers.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know what?
There are a lot out there that need laws to protect them. Your post proves it. I actually think it's a great idea to have the helmet laws, and having a mandatory certification for avalanche training would also be good, lots of rescue people have to scoop up brains, or haul frozen corpses out of the wilderness, because of these issues..
i can see mandatory training coming in the future. For all the people that say wearing a helmet it BS, you don't even notice a proper fitting good quality helmet. So where lies the problem?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can see mandatory training coming in the future. For all the people that say wearing a helmet it BS, you don't even notice a proper fitting good quality helmet. So where lies the problem?

The problem is we don't need the government or a stupid law to wear a helmet! Ndper's and government workers may need someone to hold there hand, to blow there nose! Majority already think wearing helmet is a good idea, as an adult i can think for myself,

Last edited:

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes most people can think for themselves but probably 50% of people seem to have a issue thinking like a adult. The law has been in effect in BC for years and and every weekend i see idiots our ripping around throttle pinned and no helmet. 4 deaths in 4 weeks this year all not wearing helmets. How do you think those families feel thinking if they would have said something their loved one would still be alive. I just recently found out my little girls grandpa just bought a machine and taking my little one for little rides with nether having no helmet. Put a stop to that quickly my little one knows better

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all wear PPE at work, most of it for common sense reasons. I don't see the issue with wearing a helmet on an ATV or a sled. Common sense to prevent or reduce injuries. I've been to probably thousands of accidents over the years of varying degrees from fatalities to minor injuries that could have been prevented or the consequences reduced by PPE. I don't ever remember a victim or their hysterical families or friends ever using the absurd argument that freedom to chose protection was more important than the life or health of their loved one.
As someone who has held crying, hysterical friends and relatives inconsolable after a bad thing has happened to a good person, I think I have the right to say this:

QUIT BEING SO FUC*ING STUPID AND WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that I have my CSA approved watermelon, I can drive much faster now since my pumpkin is fully protected.

Medical pot with help too as it makes me think I'm going fast in 1st gear, wow, Ha.

Now if I can just find out if this duck-tape as a chin strap has a CSA approval for race track gas Lem. LOL.

I hope that I'm one of those 50% that have too be told since I need funding for slow brain thinking when I'm lost out west.

Don't really need the funds, but it would make me happy looking at the pretty colours and the chinkel chinkel sound of coins making sounds in my pockets. LOL.

Did I mention that I have a watermelon helmet that's CSA approved !!!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all wear PPE at work, most of it for common sense reasons. I don't see the issue with wearing a helmet on an ATV or a sled. Common sense to prevent or reduce injuries. I've been to probably thousands of accidents over the years of varying degrees from fatalities to minor injuries that could have been prevented or the consequences reduced by PPE. I don't ever remember a victim or their hysterical families or friends ever using the absurd argument that freedom to chose protection was more important than the life or health of their loved one.
As someone who has held crying, hysterical friends and relatives inconsolable after a bad thing has happened to a good person, I think I have the right to say this:

QUIT BEING SO FUC*ING STUPID AND WEAR A HELMET!!!!!!
i see a swear, u just broke the law. and a law is a law!!!!!!!

Top Bottom