Neil Young Tour

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Several luxury buses used for Neil Young’s Honor the Treaties four-city concert tour were left running outside while the rocker gave a news conference ahead of his concert Sunday night at the Epcor Centre for the Performing Arts.

While Neil Young spoke to a Calgary news conference at the Jack Singer Concert Hall prior to his Sunday night show, five rock star-style motorhomes were left running outside, spewing fumes into the Calgary air, even though they were mostly unoccupied.
Inside the concert hall, the 68-year-old rock ‘n’ roll legend was talking about the “elephant in the room,” which he later explained was man-made global warming. The only elephant I could see was his enormous carbon footprint and his even bigger hypocrisy between his walk and his talk.
Oh, his talk is righteous, all right. His walk, however, remains an abomination.
Calgary was the last stop on Young’s four-city Honor the Treaties tour, which is designed to raise awareness and money for the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, which is suing the federal government and Shell Canada in an effort to stop Shell’s Jackpine Mine expansion proposal in northern Alberta.
Click here to see photos of Young's visit to Calgary

The first question Young was asked was, does he ever fly on private jets?
“Yes, I do fly on private jets,” said the 68-year-old rock ‘n’ roll hall of famer. “Sometimes I have to brush shoulders with oil executives,” he said, his face screwing up in distaste. The horror! Poor old Neil. If that’s supposed to absolve him of some of his environmental guilt, he needs to recognize that oil executives don’t tend to lecture others on how to live absolving them of the sin of hypocrisy, at least.
“Sometimes to play my shows I have to use them (private jets) to get from one place to another to do my job and be in good enough shape to do my job when I get there,” explained Young.
So, what’s the main thing wrong with that explanation? If you said Young’s use of the words “I have to,” you’d be right. Neil Young does NOT “have to” fly on a private jet. He chooses to.
Click here to read a review of Young's Sunday night benefit concert

In other words, for Neil Young and other hawkers of hypocrisy like him, he chooses his own comfort over his convictions. Actually, scrap that. If he actually truly believed that human created CO2 causes catastrophic global warming, he wouldn’t even so much as look at a private jet let alone climb aboard one.
Flying by private jet is the most carbon intensive way to move humans next to space travel.
According to a 2008 report entitled High Flyers: How Private Jet Travel is Straining the System, Warming the Planet, and Costing You Money,” private jet travel is at least five times more carbon intensive than commercial air travel.
For example, the report states that four passengers flying in a private Cessna Citation X from Los Angeles to New York would each be responsible for more than five times as much CO2 emitted by a commercial air passenger making the same trip.
But that’s a very forgiving calculation when you consider about 40 per cent of private jet flights are empty as pilots often return home rather that waiting for the return trip.
What’s more, private jet travelers pay lower taxes and fees than ordinary commercial travelers.
The irony wasn’t lost on me that the person who chirped up to come to Young’s defence on his high-flying lifestyle was David Suzuki, the CBC television star who is fond of flying hither and yon and is severely over housed — as he owns several large homes and often insists on his own limo when he goes on CBC shoots rather than travel with the rest of the film crew. Two CBC camera men, who have asked to remain anonymous, have told me so.
Click here to read the full story on Young's press conference in Calgary

Outside, Young’s diesel buses spewed away, keeping the interiors toasty warm, with a big-screen television displaying a football game to no one at all.
How do I know that the buses were running while Young was inside the Jack Singer concert hall? Because I spoke to a security guard tasked with keeping fans away from the five buses parked along 9th Avenue across from the Epcor Centre of the Performing Arts and also in the parking lot and in the loading dock.
When asked if the buses had all been kept running for the past hour, he said they had been running for longer than that.
I knocked on the doors of all of the buses, rented or leased from Florida Coach Luxury Design and Leasing, and only one was opened by a young man who introduced himself as a cook. The chef explained that the motorhomes, must be kept running to run the equipment aboard.
“But some of the buses don’t appear to have anyone on board,” I said.
“We just always keep them running whether they’re occupied or not, but we use bio-diesel which is trucked in from the U.S., so it’s OK.”
Get it? A little bio diesel here a little solar power there and the gigantic greenhouse gas footprint of the likes of Neil Young and David Suzuki should be overlooked by us peons who have much smaller carbon footprints.
Never mind that biodiesel is causing great hardship for the world’s poorest citizens since staple food crops like corn are used to power vehicles rather than grow their food, causing their food prices to spike.
There is no doubt that Neil Young is a very talented musician with a heart of gold. Too bad his facts are made of mush and his lifestyle and rock-star livelihood is the very thing that makes Saudi Arabia’s bloody oil gush and pressure for Alberta’s oilsands to continue to grow.
Licia Corbella is a columnist and editorial page editor. lcorbella@calgaryherald.com

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Several luxury buses used for Neil Young’s Honor the Treaties four-city concert tour were left running outside while the rocker gave a news conference ahead of his concert Sunday night at the Epcor Centre for the Performing Arts.

• E-mail this Gallery
  • Print this Gallery
  • Share this Gallery
    check-small.png

700WFO

Reaction score
No kidding. Would be great if there was a diesel shortage when he is on tour. I wonder if he would lobby the government to get busy and build more refineries so he can fill up his bus and get to the next protest on time.

Would have jumped at the chance to see him, that was until his carbon footprint overshadowed his ego and blocked all the stage lights. I don't mind people protesting the oil sands as long as they do it fully informed. To create a tour of protest as uninformed as he is only makes me want to add some CD's to the bonfire! Speaking of which, produced from petrochemicals!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me thinks Neil should re-write his song "This notes for You"...he's worse then the people he made fun of, he's lying about it....
Can we ban him from Canada....always liked his music....but dont like hypocrite's....

I'm available for hire if you want me to indorce your probucts.....

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neil sucks and so does his music IMO and apparently his hypocritic views on oil and gas.

To quote Lynard Skynard:
"Well, I hope Neil Young will remember A Southern man don't need him around anyhow"

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see him drive his electric car down 63 in January with a bumper sticker that says, " Honour The Treaties". Problem solved.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tar sands and photo radar have something in common ........... public safety isn't it.

Don't get me wrong I am no hypocrite we need oil but Fort Mac is out of control.
:smiliestirthepot:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tar sands and photo radar have something in common ........... public safety isn't it.

Don't get me wrong I am no hypocrite we need oil but Fort Mac is out of control.
:smiliestirthepot:

You couldn't be more wrong brother. The tar sands puts money in everyone's pockets. Photo radar draws it out of our pockets.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think everyone better step back and open their eyes. If it wasn't for the oil sands (not tar sands - tree huggers love that dirty sound) Alberta and the rest of Canada would be sucking wind like a lot of the US was. That oil is giving most Canadians a very comfortable living not too mention new sleds!! Maybe it's because Neil Young doesn't have to work like the rest of us that he can afford to be such a hypocrite. Let's face it will all use energy daily. I'll bet he thinks the power he gets comes from solar panels and windmills!!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at this, lines his pockets from the Government(tax payers) from oil and from special interest groups , just how greedy can one guy be.....and still sing whoa me....

Dear friends across Canada,

The government and Big Oil are pushing for a project that could devastate the land and harm my people, but Neil Young is speaking out, and we can all help by joining the call. Click now and share with everyone:

My name is Allan Adam and I’m the Chief of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation. The government and Big Oil CEOs are slamming Neil Young for speaking out on the Tar Sands and the poison they are sending to my people. But if you join Neil and me, together we can create a wave of protection for my home.

The government just approved a giant Shell company project on our land in Alberta, even though it admits it will likely wreak havoc on the land and water my people depend on -- and infringe on our treaty rights. But with Neil getting people talking, the government and Big Oil are worried Canadians will start to question the unchecked expansion of the Tar Sands that line their pockets.

The Prime Minister won’t budge unless he thinks he could lose support from voters. Let’s show him Canadians of all political leanings want respect for our rights and the land. Click below and Avaaz will deliver all our voices directly to the government. Sign now:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/neil_young_vs_big_oil_d/?bOlwZcb&v=34676

114 years ago my people signed a treaty with the Government of Canada. The Shell project as it stands will violate that treaty. So we’re taking legal action to get a court review of the approval of the mine. We can’t wait – the cancer rate of my people living downstream from the Tar Sands is through the roof. And industry plans to more than double production of the Tar sands, one of the world’s dirtiest forms of oil. So this is about protecting the environment we all cherish.

The government doesn’t want Canadians thinking about these things. That’s why they’re paying public relations companies millions and millions to promote the Oil Sands – instead of meaningfully engaging with the ACFN and other First Nations. And then along comes Neil Young and disrupts their story. That’s why Neil’s got the Prime Minister and Big Oil worried – they know Canadians are starting to listen.

So please join us, and Avaaz will make sure the media and the PM know that Canadians across the country and the political spectrum want to end the poison and destruction caused by unchecked tar sands expansion. Sign now by clicking on the link below:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/neil_young_vs_big_oil_d/?bOlwZcb&v=34676

We are a proud people, and we will keep fighting for our rights, for the well-being of our land, and for the rights of every Canadian to have a conversation about the real impacts of the Tar Sands, one of the most important issues of our time. I’m honoured by your support.

With hope and solidarity,

Allan Adam, Chief of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, with Avaaz

PS - Many Avaaz campaigns are started by members of our community. It's easy to get started - click to start yours now and win on any issue - local, national or global: http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/start_a_petition/?bgMYedb&v=23917

MORE INFORMATION

Neil Young rips into conservatives over oil sands (Toronto Star)
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/01/12/neil_young_rips_into_conservatives_over_oilsands.html

Poll of Albertans -- 77% support for Neil Young message (Edmonton Journal)
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/ente...l+Young+attacking+oilsands/9378167/story.html

Shell’s Jackpine mine gets nod from Ottawa, despite environmental effects (Global)
http://globalnews.ca/news/1015392/s...od-from-ottawa-despite-environmental-effects/

Oil Sand Reality Check (Tar Sands Solution Network)
www.oilsandsrealitycheck.ca

Oilsands emissions to quadruple by 2030: Government Report (Huffington Post)
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/14/oil-sands-emissions-alberta_n_4598004.html

Support the Avaaz Community!
We're entirely funded by donations and receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated team ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way.

DONATE NOW

Avaaz.org is a 32-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

You are getting this message because you signed "Community Petitions Site" on 2012-04-18 using the email address dakay@pcl.com.
To ensure that Avaaz messages reach your inbox, please add avaaz@avaaz.org to your address book. To change your email address, language settings, or other personal information, contact us, or simply go here to unsubscribe.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These scammers of Canadians hard earned money should be put in the clink.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anti-oilsands lobbying : Prime time : SunNews Video Gallery

Want to talk about money? Who's paying the doped out hippy? He's not here out of the goodness of his heart.

right on... i watched the same thing... he's just like everyone else selling their soul for a pay cheque... follow the money trail this isn't about native rights or oil... its about the big fat cheque someone environmental group in California paid him! The more we talk about how stupid this guy is the more we just generate interest. IF we all just laugh and shut up his point will die really soon!

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never saw this in the Sun, but it really is interesting.

There are two David Suzukis.

Most of us know one of the Suzukis. Let’s call him Saint Suzuki. That’s the Suzuki whose TV show on the CBC constantly lectures us about our lifestyle. He says we need to consume less, buy less and use less fossil fuels.

But then there’s another Suzuki. Let’s call him Secret Suzuki, because he’s far less well-known.

Secret Suzuki is the one who lives on Vancouver’s elite Point Grey Road, on a double lot, overlooking English Bay, right above the exclusive Kitsilano Yacht Club. The City of Vancouver assesses the land value alone at over $8 million. And that’s just one of Secret Suzuki’s properties.

He has another million-dollar home in Vancouver. And then there’s another home on Quadra Island. That’s three homes right there, if you count the double lot on Point Grey Road as just one property.

But then there’s his large property holdings on Nelson Island. What’s so fascinating about that one is that he co-owns the property with an oil company, Kootenay Oil Distributors Ltd. They don’t plan to drill for oil together. It’s a beautiful tourist spot — maybe perfect for a nice big condo development.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with co-owning any property along with an oil company. But isn’t Saint Suzuki against fossil fuel companies — especially oil companies?

Saint Suzuki tells us that the world is desperately overcrowded, that we’re overpopulated, and that we’re going to run out of things.

But in his own life, Secret Suzuki has five children.

There’s nothing wrong with having five children. It’s a blessing. But then why does he think other people should have fewer kids?

Saint Suzuki rails against corporations and profits. He even gave a well-received anti-capitalist speech at the Occupy Vancouver protest.

But Secret Suzuki himself has several corporations. One of them, the David Suzuki Foundation, took in a whopping $9 million last year and has $12 million in assets. More than 10 million of that is invested in stocks and bonds.

Saint Suzuki despises lobbyists, and says they have a disproportionate control of political power in Ottawa. But Secret Suzuki himself has nine paid lobbyists registered in Ottawa’s lobbyist registry. Not one. Nine.

Saint Suzuki despises politicians, and says they can’t be trusted. Secret Suzuki starred in a Liberal party TV ad along with former Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty.

Saint Suzuki says corporations have to be less obsessed by profits, and do more for the public good. They need to especially think of the interests of the next generation, our children.

But Secret Suzuki has made a tidy profit off young people. His standard speaking fee at universities in Canada is $30,000 plus expenses. He billed Quebec’s John Abbott College a cool $41,000 to visit them.

Saint Suzuki speaks in the language of tolerance and equality and liberalism — utterly politically correct.

But Secret Suzuki engages in conduct that should cause feminists to raise an eyebrow. When he visited John Abbott College, his assistant called with special requests to go along with his speaking fee. Here is an internal e-mail from the college’s Mary Milburn: “We have learned, via Dr. Suzuki’s assistant, that although the Dr. does not like to have bodyguards per se, he does not mind having a couple of ladies (females) that would act as body guards.” The college’s Jim Anderson got involved in selecting the coeds, too: “Please be certain that the women are nicely dressed, we don’t want them in evening gowns, but definitely NOT Police Tech uniforms.” All of this bizarre selection of girls, dressed just so, was the result of Secret Suzuki’s special request. If he were a conservative, he’d be called a dirty old man. But he’s a saint. So the college went along with it.

David Suzuki is not a criminal. But he is not a saint. He’s a real man — a capitalist millionaire, a politician, a man with a staff of lobbyists, a prolific father, a wealthy landlord. If only he’d stop scolding the rest of us for aspiring to do the same.

This column was written for Sun News October 13 2013.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right on... i watched the same thing... he's just like everyone else selling their soul for a pay cheque... follow the money trail this isn't about native rights or oil... its about the big fat cheque someone environmental group in California paid him! The more we talk about how stupid this guy is the more we just generate interest. IF we all just laugh and shut up his point will die really soon!

I don't think sticking our heads in the sand is going to make this idiot or his idiotic antics go away. Just saying.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unlike most involved in the oil patch, I was born in Ft Mac in the mid 70s and still have family working at Syncrude since the early 70s. Before the numerous expansions in oil production up there, the native population always had a high rate of health problems, cancer included. As a kid I would play near the river and under the hot sun the tar would literally ooze into the river from the river banks. If anything, we are now trying to clean up an area that's been a toxic wasteland for thousands of years. Greenpeace should give Alberta a reward for it's cleanup efforts. Oh, and f*ck Neil Young. If the number of health issues occurring up there is increasing, it's because our medical diagnostic technology is increasing, not the pollution.

Top Bottom