Neil Young Tour

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unlike most involved in the oil patch, I was born in Ft Mac in the mid 70s and still have family working at Syncrude since the early 70s. Before the numerous expansions in oil production up there, the native population always had a high rate of health problems, cancer included. As a kid I would play near the river and under the hot sun the tar would literally ooze into the river from the river banks. If anything, we are now trying to clean up an area that's been a toxic wasteland for thousands of years. Greenpeace should give Alberta a reward for it's cleanup efforts. Oh, and f*ck Neil Young. If the number of health issues occurring up there is increasing, it's because our medical diagnostic technology is increasing, not the pollution.
Exactly correct. I grew up in the late 60's and 70's in Peace River where my dad was the regional Fishery Biologist....his area included Ft Mac. Same diagnosis. The fish, animals, people ALL had higher rates of illness and it was NATURAL due to the constant and persistent seepage of black gold into the waterways. The island across from the town of PR in the river is called Tar Island. Any guesses why? There was a sheen of oil on the river at all times downstream of that island. Guarantee that Syncrude had nothing to do with that.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"If the number of health issues occurring up there is increasing, it's because our medical diagnostic technology is increasing, not the pollution." Huh? :frusty:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"If the number of health issues occurring up there is increasing, it's because our medical diagnostic technology is increasing, not the pollution." Huh? :frusty:

What part don't you get? It's similar to the global warming alarmists....of course we've only had the technology to measure the global temperatures to 100ths of degrees for the last 100 yrs or so....

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What part don't you get? It's similar to the global warming alarmists....of course we've only had the technology to measure the global temperatures to 100ths of degrees for the last 100 yrs or so....

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think his point is that we have better ways of detecting health problems now a days and that is why there are more cases showing up.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about the part that clearly says the number of health issues are increasing because medical diagnostic technology is increasing? What part don't you get?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The term "huh?" implies you either did not agree or did not get it. I get it, agree with it, and made an example of a similar situation. Get it?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly correct. I grew up in the late 60's and 70's in Peace River where my dad was the regional Fishery Biologist....his area included Ft Mac. Same diagnosis. The fish, animals, people ALL had higher rates of illness and it was NATURAL due to the constant and persistent seepage of black gold into the waterways. The island across from the town of PR in the river is called Tar Island. Any guesses why? There was a sheen of oil on the river at all times downstream of that island. Guarantee that Syncrude had nothing to do with that.
for years when I was a kid there was natural gas bubbling up in the river north of town, people used to go up river in jet boats and light it up. it would stay burning for weeks until wind or weather would put it out, then someone would go up and light it again. used to be a kind of cool local attraction until they drilled a relief well some years ago.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant to say the number of health issues attributed to pollution are increasing due to medical advancements making it possible to do so. In the past, people just got the cancer and died. Now everybody has a unique condition named after another researcher.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can get all the free tickets I want..... A native friend of mine gets them for nothing. The Feds pay for his concert tickets, as luck would have he can't go to any of the concerts at all...
He is tied up with protests all summer against unfair federal treatment of first nations.......

Hajaaha fawk

Top Bottom