need to find a good winter job

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should expect more.

You know "expect" is just a way of speaking. I am fully aware that you have to earn it. I haven't got nothing I haven't worked for in life! I have worked my ass off to build my families farm into what it is! You can make fun of my pay all you want but making jokes because of how I worded a sentance is pretty immature

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know "expect" is just a way of speaking. I am fully aware that you have to earn it. I haven't got nothing I haven't worked for in life! I have worked my ass off to build my families farm into what it is! You can make fun of my pay all you want but making jokes because of how I worded a sentance is pretty immature
You just suddenly came across as an "entitlement baby"....it would be great if you proved that perception wrong, and I encourage you to do just that. Seriously.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just suddenly came across as an "entitlement baby"....it would be great if you proved that perception wrong, and I encourage you to do just that. Seriously.

Wait... why am I arguing with someone I don't know on the internet I feel dumb now.
Thanks for the advice you gave me! And if you form your opinion about someone because of one misused word I really don't care what you think about me

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait... why am I arguing with someone I don't know on the internet I feel dumb now.
Thanks for the advice you gave me! And if you form your opinion about someone because of one misused word I really don't care what you think about me
Good for you. Good luck.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard workin farm boy from Saskatchewan.........you'll probably make one hell of a rig hand, especially nowadays. Get in touch with Bigfoot ^^^.......awesome guy to work for. Worked Derrick for him for a few weeks over Christmas one time. Worst effin hitch of my entire life! Nothing to do with him though. More to do with having to change out a blown kelly hose on Christmas morning while drilling with invert. :d

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a good attitude and want to work - the patch is a good place to make money. The working conditions are less then stellar, and you'll discover muscles that you didn't know you had pretty quickly. Working with a good crew is the key to going home safely. Leave your "feelings" at home. As a career, it is hard on home life, but is rewarding when you get your cheque. Basically, it isn't a job for everyone, but it might be right for you.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a good attitude and want to work - the patch is a good place to make money. The working conditions are less then stellar, and you'll discover muscles that you didn't know you had pretty quickly. Working with a good crew is the key to going home safely. Leave your "feelings" at home. As a career, it is hard on home life, but is rewarding when you get your cheque. Basically, it isn't a job for everyone, but it might be right for you.

Very well said

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of drilling in sask, only problem is the carrot pullers don't spend much time in one spot unless it's a pad setup. If your looking for rig work, you can expect to be away from home, expect to be in the elements whatever they might be , rain, -45 they don't stop, lots of companies will be hiring and looking for guys within the next 3 months for their winter programs. Expect to be treated like an ass for about a week, until you learn or earn a spot on the floor, show your stuff on a set of tongs, without killing your motor hand or yourself and you will have the respect of the guys. Head down ass up and ask lots of questions, you will move up quickly with knowledge, on a smaller rig especially because of the turnover rate and the faster pace, long term work go to a big triple, or automated double .

Good luck and enjoy, < 12 years on ensign 95e

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of drilling in sask, only problem is the carrot pullers don't spend much time in one spot unless it's a pad setup. If your looking for rig work, you can expect to be away from home, expect to be in the elements whatever they might be , rain, -45 they don't stop, lots of companies will be hiring and looking for guys within the next 3 months for their winter programs. Expect to be treated like an ass for about a week, until you learn or earn a spot on the floor, show your stuff on a set of tongs, without killing your motor hand or yourself and you will have the respect of the guys. Head down ass up and ask lots of questions, you will move up quickly with knowledge, on a smaller rig especially because of the turnover rate and the faster pace, long term work go to a big triple, or automated double .

Good luck and enjoy, < 12 years on ensign 95e

The weather and being away from home won't bother me much because as it is I am usually only at home to sleep and -50 I'm used to working in because thats when water bowls freeze and tractors break down lol. I'm starting to think I should go to school instead though, I might take a two year agronomy course and/or heavy duty mechanic because thats more my skill set. Then I could go work on the rigs later if I need the money

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The weather and being away from home won't bother me much because as it is I am usually only at home to sleep and -50 I'm used to working in because thats when water bowls freeze and tractors break down lol. I'm starting to think I should go to school instead though, I might take a two year agronomy course and/or heavy duty mechanic because thats more my skill set. Then I could go work on the rigs later if I need the money

school is a good choice, hd mechanics are in high demand and it will be way more beneficial to your farm operation.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
Money is the only reason anyone would work in the patch I already work 100 hours a week for most of the year to make $40000 why the hell would I look at taking on extra work if it wasn't for money[/QUOT

Why would you say that,Only reason is for money,35 years in the patch and it wasn't always good money,If you think its **** work stay on your farm.A lot of hard working people do this job weather its the searching for oil building lease or drilling and they love thire jobs even if they hurt at the end of the day.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Money is the only reason anyone would work in the patch I already work 100 hours a week for most of the year to make $40000 why the hell would I look at taking on extra work if it wasn't for money[/QUOT

Why would you say that,Only reason is for money,35 years in the patch and it wasn't always good money,If you think its **** work stay on your farm.A lot of hard working people do this job weather its the searching for oil building lease or drilling and they love thire jobs even if they hurt at the end of the day.

I was just being a grouch lol. What I meant was it pays good for a reason.they pay what they do because its hard to keep guys

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I apologize if I offended anyone who works in the industry, I have huge respect for the hard working people who work these kind of jobs. And there are no doubt some people who stick with it and work their way up and are passionate about the industry. On the other hand many people just want to work a couple years to pay off debts or make some quick money. If I was only working winters I wouldn't expect to get much for raises because they will obviously prefer to hire someone year round.

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont worry about any of the grouches. The oilpatch isnt as hard knocks as a lot of people describe. I think they do it just to make themselves feel like they are tougher than they are. I started on the rigs at the tail end of the "old school" stuff and it has gotten super soft since then. Frick...you arent even allowed to lift more than 50lbs any more. I remember grabbing 100+ lbs pick up subs and carrying them over to the rack when I was 16. I grew up on a farm working my tail off. The patch really isnt that bad when you are used to farm work. Like I said......you'll probably rise to the top fast. Alot of my friends are Saskatchewan farm boys and from what Ive seen they know how to work.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy of mine is manager at Sanjel cemnters in swift. they are always looking for good hands. lots of camp work in winter. let him know your looking for seasonal upfront and he can probly hook you up. class 1 would help. name is Dave. give him a call.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another option for winter work is logging, I started out logging when I was in my late teens and progressed to the trucking side of it after a while. Again, mostly camp work, nice thing about camp work is that you can't spend your loot until you come out of the bush. :)
My .02

Sent from my iPad

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another option for winter work is logging, I started out logging when I was in my late teens and progressed to the trucking side of it after a while. Again, mostly camp work, nice thing about camp work is that you can't spend your loot until you come out of the bush. :)
My .02

Sent from my iPad

I will look into that. I have always been interested in that kind of work.

Top Bottom