need to find a good winter job

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can give you a name or two of a couple good logging companies that I use to work for if thats the road you want to take, I loved logging to death but there is just more money in other industries right now

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard workin farm boy from Saskatchewan.........you'll probably make one hell of a rig hand, especially nowadays. Get in touch with Bigfoot ^^^.......awesome guy to work for. Worked Derrick for him for a few weeks over Christmas one time. Worst effin hitch of my entire life! Nothing to do with him though. More to do with having to change out a blown kelly hose on Christmas morning while drilling with invert. :d

Sniffles

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that this might matter, but a lucritive side deal that I have noticed a few people really getting done for winter is roof shoveling, it's becoming more and more popular, and really is a good idea to have done, I've seen some guys charging upward of 60 bucks a roof . I've always done my own , but more and more folks are paying for that kind of service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can give you a name or two of a couple good logging companies that I use to work for if thats the road you want to take, I loved logging to death but there is just more money in other industries right now

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks! The pay and having to travel so far are hurdles but if I enjoy the job it might not be so bad.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that this might matter, but a lucritive side deal that I have noticed a few people really getting done for winter is roof shoveling, it's becoming more and more popular, and really is a good idea to have done, I've seen some guys charging upward of 60 bucks a roof . I've always done my own , but more and more folks are paying for that kind of service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a good idea! I can out shovel most people lol. I'm not sure if we get enough snow in my area though

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any good paying jobs in saskatchewan or alberta that would hire someone from November until the end of march? I need to upgrade a bunch of machinery on my farm and want to buy a house so I need money bad

I'm sorry I dont really understand, Please help me out a little. Why would you want to upgrade farm equipment if your not even making enough money farming to pay for equipment.. you want to work a job to subsidize your other job that's not making money? you must really love farming!

Than you want to buy a house that you wont be able to afford after you stop working the winter job.:doh:

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I dont really understand, Please help me out a little. Why would you want to upgrade farm equipment if your not even making enough money farming to pay for equipment.. you want to work a job to subsidize your other job that's not making money? you must really love farming!

Than you want to buy a house that you wont be able to afford after you stop working the winter job.:doh:

Its just because we tripled the acres in 3 years so upgrading everything within a few years is tough and using old equipment costs a lot of money when i get seeding done later than I should.

With the house I just need to make the down payment and I will be able to afford the payments after that.

A lot of smaller farmers work winter jobs to supplement their income so I figured I would give it a try for a few years

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I apologize if I offended anyone who works in the industry, I have huge respect for the hard working people who work these kind of jobs. And there are no doubt some people who stick with it and work their way up and are passionate about the industry. On the other hand many people just want to work a couple years to pay off debts or make some quick money. If I was only working winters I wouldn't expect to get much for raises because they will obviously prefer to hire someone year round.

lots of farmers around here work the patch to build the farm... nothing wrong with it... farming is a lifestyle and a passion... albeit most farmers i know that have gone to the patch stay on the patch and love it... retire with a great big farm that's never made them much money but in todays world if your gonna retire a farmer sometime... go big or go home

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just because we tripled the acres in 3 years so upgrading everything within a few years is tough and using old equipment costs a lot of money when i get seeding done later than I should.

With the house I just need to make the down payment and I will be able to afford the payments after that.

A lot of smaller farmers work winter jobs to supplement their income so I figured I would give it a try for a few years

Ok, makes sense, thanks. What about running equipment? lots of over time hours available and it pays decent to begin with.

Top Bottom