Need rider reviews of Trygstad 872 ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because that's the builders way out. Oh it's the clutching.....always the clutching.....you would think all these motors would have dialed setups ready to rock. Any big bores I've had that actually ran we'll the clutching was always best from the manufacturer of the engine. Which was one. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kind of agree. If these engines make way more power then the only problem that wouldn't be their fault would be if its over revving the stock clutching.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I ordered my rooster built clutch last year, Paul and Dave were already testing and dialling in there kit for the 872 BB. Rooster built clutching IMHO is the way to go with that kit. You MUST change your clutching if your doing this BB or else that new kit will not pull to its true potential. Even a rooster built on my stock 12 freeride made an unreal change. I pull ahead of a stock freeride by at least 8-10 sled lengths up to 100km/hr flat land no problem. Way snappier to. Clutching is the way to go!

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't people just go turbo? Just pricing? Seem like the BB's are a constant headache.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't people just go turbo? Just pricing? Seem like the BB's are a constant headache.

The wrong turbo set up can be a big headache to! I think it's more riding style based.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boost is cool, but for most if u need just that little extra over a stock sled, a b.b is the way to go... Mostly it's for the extra torque that u get not h.p....

Plus if u b.b it but stay down on the head compression u still run pump premium no different than ur stock sled

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The thing I like about Daves kit is its reliable, its foolproof and he backs his product and is accessible to his customers. Doesn't hurt that he was a top Doo factory racer and has the creds to back his product as well.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Decent turbo for the Doo starts at $5k + install and goes up from there. Price is a big factor.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get a sled shop to install a kit that doesn't usually install or sell kits? The 2 i've talked to are just trying to talk me out of doing it all together. Too many running issues. Hate the calls they get on monday when it doesn't run right. Engines blowing up. How do you know who to believe? People seem to be having good luck with these 872s and people that aren't having the same luck are usually the ones to write posts on a site like this.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get a sled shop to install a kit that doesn't usually install or sell kits? The 2 i've talked to are just trying to talk me out of doing it all together. Too many running issues. Hate the calls they get on monday when it doesn't run right. Engines blowing up. How do you know who to believe? People seem to be having good luck with these 872s and people that aren't having the same luck are usually the ones to write posts on a site like this.
Any dealership should be able to do the install. Its disassembly and assembly basically. There is a timing procedure that you need BUDS to do though so if you want it all done in house a Doo dealership would be the place to go. Dave supply's a great starting point for gearing and clutching calibration.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The two places I called were both doo dealers. No problem doing the work but they were spending a lot of time warning me of the problems they have seen so they can tell say 'told ya so' if I have a problem or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are alot of guys doing big bores in the industry. The key is to find the ones that know what they are doing. Threads like this help peeps to make good decisions. Its important to do your due diligence buying any after market product these days.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't disagree with anything you have said, but two posts ago you said that any doo dealer could do the work. Simple r&r and a buds flash or something and away you go. What could they possibly do to cause it to run badly besides the obvious improper install or w/e?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they do the install properly and follow Dave's recommendations for gearing and clutching for your riding area there should be no problems? I am commenting on Trygstad kits only because of my experiences with his kits specifically. Where problems arise is deviating from the recommendations. I also am not endorsing anyone elses kits as I have no firsthand experiences with other kits. There are probably other great kits but there are bad ones as well.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The two places I called were both doo dealers. No problem doing the work but they were spending a lot of time warning me of the problems they have seen so they can tell say 'told ya so' if I have a problem or something.

I'm so confident in Daves 872 that I personally ride one I'm in a wheelchair so walking out is not a option I Have sold and installed other BB and seen a lot of ''Piston Failure'' that always gets called COLD SEIZED ,but the fact is a lot of other BB kits run JUNK pistons .Dave's pistons are the best after market piston you can get for A BB that I've seen Cheers Brian

Last edited:

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I contacted Dave Trygstad regarding an 872 BB retailer and installer in the CGY area after reading a lot about it over the weekend. It appears Trackside in Olds is the closest. Various threads on this site highly recommend them but apparently they lost their BRP product line 1-2 yrs ago. Does anyone know if they are owned by the same people and if not can you speak to their quality of work recently?

Thinking about sneaking one into the new T3 without the rest go the crew knowing if the price is reasonable. Sure sounds like the kit works well.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I contacted Dave Trygstad regarding an 872 BB retailer and installer in the CGY area after reading a lot about it over the weekend. It appears Trackside in Olds is the closest. Various threads on this site highly recommend them but apparently they lost their BRP product line 1-2 yrs ago. Does anyone know if they are owned by the same people and if not can you speak to their quality of work recently?

Thinking about sneaking one into the new T3 without the rest go the crew knowing if the price is reasonable. Sure sounds like the kit works well.

Same staff, good little shop IMO. Doo pulling their deal was stupid but that's a different thread.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A&E in brooks alberta install Big Bores

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lets try not to hi jack my thread im trying to get information i need so i dont get talked into buying somthing i dont want.

any help would be greatly appreciated

IMO the qrs is a great clutch and there are some great clutching setups out there for that engine. If I was in your shoes and your hung up on clutching, get the bb done, keep the stock clutching for now ( lots of time before the snow flies) and talk to the clutching guys. Roosterbuilt, DJ, and tukenater. I'm not entirely sure how much time DJ has in his bb setup but I know all three guys have a 872 this season, and tukenater has been running the 872 for some time now.
Btw if you run the stock clutching with just the pinweight change you won't be getting the most out of that engine.

Dave offers a program that you can buy the kit outright and keep your stock parts.

I was not impressed with the clutching supplied with the team 872kit. The helix was way to shallow IMO and the engine wanted more. I was actually running the exact same team setup in my 09 stocker.
I've run two team sec over the years and they do ok, but I've had to drastically change the clutching from the recommended setup to get it to perform. Nothing like changing helix's at the cabin when your buddies are riding! Lol
IMO the only real gain to a team is the ability to remove and float the clutch.

Just my 2 cents bud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom