NDP Minority Govt in Alberta

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just said baseline is $100 in your first point. Now your throwing $10 in again. If you make $10 a year then yes you are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The company EARNED 100.00
The company had to PAY 10 dollars in tax. They now have to PAY 12 dollars. They have to PAY 2 dollars more. If you PAYED 10 dollars and now have to PAY 12 dollars you have to PAY 20% more.

what is relevant is how much you have to PAY not how much you have EARNED!!!!!

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
she doesn't have to be in power yet to have affect me, I run a small business corporate tax just went up 20% and I'm sure the booze, smokes, gas taxes Prentice put in are here to stay.

If you read the platform, small business tax won't be changing. And corporate (ie large corporations, NOT small business) MAY go up TWO percent. NOT twenty. And as of today, NOTHING has changed.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The calculator went up 2 points from 10 percentage points to 12 percentage points.

What the company has to pay has gone up 20%, from 10% to 12%

the difference is between how the tax is calculated and how much you have to pay in hard dollars.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over 500,000 in Revenue doesnt make you a large corporation IMO So yes small business would be effected....

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Math is hard or something ......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 157

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over 500,000 in Revenue doesnt make you a large corporation IMO So yes small business would be effected....
You are very correct on that point. If you have 500000 in revenue and only earn 10% profit, your only making $50,000 per year which is almost poverty wages today.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread has been beaten to death. Fact is, Our government for the next 4 years will be NDP. If you voted for them, good for you. I sure as hell didn't. I sincerely hope that the NDP doesn't kick the oil and gas industry too hard during this downturn, for EVERY Albertan's sake. Fact is, whether you work directly in the O&G sector or not, your life and livelihood are somewhat dependent on it - whether you are in government, construction, retail, health care, education, or sitting on welfare - we are all affected in one way or another. If you feel that isn't a true statement, then you need to go back under the rock you've been living under, and ensure you put on the blinders (rose colored glasses). Personal and corporate taxes in this province do not cover all the costs of running Alberta.
On another note, those who complain about the overpaid, under skilled O&G worker should realize something: You could have chosen to work in that field. The fact that you don't tells me that you didn't feel it was a good "fit" for you. Everybody in this province has the opportunity to make money and pay taxes if jobs are present - simply because you chose a different career path gives you no right to bitch about another person's choice... unless you've walked a few miles in their shoes. In the grand scheme of things, milk and meat doesn't come from Costco, paper and pens don't come from Wal-Mart, and gasoline doesn't come from FasGas - these products are simply sold there.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
lets say you make 10 dollars an hour. Your boss gives you a 20% raise, how much money will you now earn?

Depends how many hours u work and if overtime or incentives are involved, and how much union dues u pay, and what your part of the benefit package payment is, and........... What was the question again? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sol I watched the markets a little today just for interest sake and had thoughts......

How much money was made on shortselling the top S&P stocks by those who created the doom and gloom, sky is falling, oil patch is done fear mongers here in AB?
How much money will be made by those who bought back the lower priced top S&P stocks as the fear subsides and the top S&P stocks come back up?
Who were the biggest winners in this "game"?

Anyone want to place bets there were more than a few companies here in Canada that played this out to a T.

Just a few thoughts.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shred Gate has started. The PCs kicked down my door last night and shredded all my math homework from yesterday. Didn't take my longguns just all my long division. This could drive the price off cellulose insulation in the toilet by flooding the market with shredded paper.

Reaction score
Now that we've hammered out the math on this.... ;)

Say whatever you want, but we are now stuck with this government. It's a change, and human nature is to not like change. That's okay. But panicking and knee jerk reactions are going to cause way bigger problems than the NDP. Just my 2 cents. (or 2%)

We have to be realistically optimistic, otherwise, all this negativity will turn into a self fulfilling prophecy.

Self fulfilling prophecy are the very words that came to mind......

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Below is a email from my investment advisor.

Good afternoon,

As many of you have read in recent announcements with the election of the NDP government we can expect to see some changes in the investments of Alberta’s energy sector.

The new NDP government platform has companies on high alert with energy royalties on the table, corporate income taxes to increase, and bitumen pipelines to lose at least some direct government support.

Over the next couple weeks it will be important for us to look at your exposure to Alberta based energy stocks which could have exposure to royalty increases. Below is a chart highlighting a consolidated list of producers, separated by market cap and sorted by an estimate of Alberta exposure based on our analysts estimates, corporate presentations/AIFs, and geoSCOUT which I believe will provide a bit of insight.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure everyone is on "alert", but even before the NDP took power HSBC, one of the biggest banks in the world, was urging it's investors to divest of energy stocks. VanCity Bank has divested it's energy stocks at the overwhelming request of it's members. HSBC said Universities, churches, investment firms, health associations, pension funds, etc., are moving out of energy stocks. This ins't an Alberta or ruling party issue, it's a global issue!!

Quote "There’s a financial reason for this movement – divestment is an opportunity to head off the carbon bubble threat from billions of dollars in proven fossil fuel reserves (which form the base of their market valuation) being eviscerated by emissions reduction regulation. estimated the world’s 20 biggest oil projects alone place up to $1.1 trillion of investor money at risk, and in 2013 financial services provider HSBC warned up to 60% of total oil and gas industry market capitalizatoin is at risk."

Another; "
Enbridge Inc CEO on NDP’s sweeping Alberta victory: ‘I’m really not that concerned’

Last edited:
Top Bottom