National post article thats not bashing us !!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Mr. Shaede sniffed the air and looked around. He declared the avalanche danger to be minimal. Which seemed a good thing, as no one in our party, save himself, was carrying avalanche survival gear: shovel, prod, locator beacons."

I don't know if Mark will jump on here and comment...but??? :confused:

I wasn't there, don't know to what limits they rode...but really? Why is anyone entering the backcountry without a beacon and some sort of awarness.

I've only ridden with Mark a few times, and I think I am a good judge of character but this comment could be taken the wrong way as I can see it being a negative choice.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAAHH $8800 dollars average price for a new snowmobile. you can bairly even buy a Tundra for that.

Great article, finally some one not beating on us.

Pillowydrops

Reaction score
Vancouver, BC (Christina Lake this Winter)
"Mr. Shaede sniffed the air and looked around. He declared the avalanche danger to be minimal. Which seemed a good thing, as no one in our party, save himself, was carrying avalanche survival gear: shovel, prod, locator beacons."

I don't know if Mark will jump on here and comment...but??? :confused:

I wasn't there, don't know to what limits they rode...but really? Why is anyone entering the backcountry without a beacon and some sort of awarness.

I've only ridden with Mark a few times, and I think I am a good judge of character but this comment could be taken the wrong way as I can see it being a negative choice.

That's the same section that jumped off the page to me, seems a pretty curious decision?

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of guide would take a group into the backcountry with no safety gear? OOPS! I guess he had his on. Shady? I think so. I guess the old sniffing the air trick saved them all.

finkous

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it sounds like they just rode to the cabin, and looked around... did they really need the beacons n probes for that? more of a quick ride for an experience for a reporter thats never riden

N_SNOW

Reaction score
Thanks Brian Hutchinson, great article.
Last January was my first trip to Revy, my cousin (who lives in Revy and doesn't own a sled ??) rented a sled from Mark and because of all the fog and our lack of experience we used him for a guide. He claimed he new the conditions well enough and taking that safety gear would be nothing but extra weight. We then headed off to turbo hill, super bowl and returned down Shaede lane. He is an awesome snowmobiler who either has real good luck or knows his conditions extremely well. This was one week before the tradgedy at the Big Iron Shootout.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last January was my first trip to Revy, my cousin (who lives in Revy and doesn't own a sled ??) rented a sled from Mark and because of all the fog and our lack of experience we used him for a guide. He claimed he new the conditions well enough and taking that safety gear would be nothing but extra weight. We then headed off to turbo hill, super bowl and returned down Shaede lane. He is an awesome snowmobiler who either has real good luck or knows his conditions extremely well. This was one week before the tradgedy at the Big Iron Shootout.

I'm sure his insurance company would be real pleased to know this.

just sayin'.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the snow was not in the danger of an avy 1 week before the b.i.s... the dump came wed, thurs and friday before the sat it happened....

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the snow was not in the danger of an avy 1 week before the b.i.s... the dump came wed, thurs and friday before the sat it happened....

Regardless, going up a mountain without avy gear is plain retarded. It could end up like the 2 skiers in Kananaskis that left their beacons in the truck because "they weren't going to be in avy terrain". I looked at the pictures of the slide, and they were DEFINITELY in avy terrain. If you have it, WEAR IT, and if you don't have it, RENT IT. We don't need any more reports of people not having the appropriate gear in bad situations. Sorry for the rant, I will get off my soapbox now. :beer:

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That article is definitely NOT supportive of sledding, it may seem that way because it is just LESS anti-sledding than what you're used to hearing.

The media is just trying to stir the pot and get ratings/sell papers with their tabloid headlines:

And this quote from the Revelstoke Times Review says a lot.

"Given the highway havoc of the previous few weeks, my editor commented that it seemed like the national media was waiting for a tragedy. The CBC even sent a reporter to the Canuck Splitfest, a gathering of split-boarders in Rogers Pass, asking why they’d go out in such risky conditions. The answer – it’s still possible to enjoy the backcountry when the danger is high as long as you play it very safe."

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I actually laughed so hard it hurt when I read this 1st article.
Maybe because we came out of this one unscathed, we had arrangements to ride with the reporter and he bailed on us 1/2 hr. before and went with someone else. The SRS, RSC, S&R and our club Snowpatrol were going out with him. He wanted to do a story on What`s the Big Deal with snowmobiling.

I think my favorite part might be the old guy from Ont. who`s been watching too many sled videos and decides to GO Big, and ends up hauled off the mtn.
I was told he was looking for sensationalism, he got what he was looking for.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That article is definitely NOT supportive of sledding, it may seem that way because it is just LESS anti-sledding than what you're used to hearing.

totally agree.

"But the thrill-seekers keep coming, hauling two, three, four snowmobiles behind their $80,000 pickup trucks."

"most were full of Bravado"

these statements are not there to bash us? Funny the author could have mentioned the camraderie of the sledders in the cabin, the beauty of the wilderness and serenity of sledding Revy's terrain, instead he chose to highlight one negative incident, how expensive some people's trucks are, and comment on how the majority of us are full of ourselves instead.

Last edited:

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can not understand why you would not take avalanche gear with you even if you are just going "to the cabin". What if someone else got in a slide and they needed help searching. Would you not feel useless in saying you left it behind cause you weren't going past the cabin. When i put my gear on at the parking lot it so i am prepaired to be rescued or help with a rescue if the situation should happen. This article makes these people look foolish. Just my oppinion!!

Top Bottom