My experience with the Tesla Model 3

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd see so many people scared to do something because they were worried the governement couldn't tax them for it.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like a drug dealer, get you hooked for free and then hit you full price.

That poor bastard in Newfoundland with the net Zero house has to pay tax on the power he generates.

Can you link me to this story?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's why grid tied is a joke. if your not completely off the power grid I don't see any point in going the solar route.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's why grid tied is a joke. if your not completely off the power grid I don't see any point in going the solar route.

To be honest paying HST in the scenario is not that bad of a deal. Net metering essentially allows you to use the grid as a giant battery for free. Lets say you use 1000kWh per month. You decide to install a solar array that makes 1000kWh per month of electricity. So with net metering you can put all your excess energy into the grid during the day and withdrawl it at night. So your bill shows 1000kWh used and 1000kWh produced which leaves a net difference of 0.

In Alberta we do not have this so what happens is I get paid whatever rate the utility company charges me per kWh ($0.07/kWh). So at noon when no one is home and I'm generating power that is being pumped back into the grid I am getting $0.07/kWh. At night time I plug in my electric car and pay $0.20/kWh (0.07 + all the fees which are roughly 0.13).

You might say well oh that's easy just buy a battery for your house. Right now for a Tesla powerwall you are paying $6500 + $1100 (gateway) + install. So just the battery itself is $500 per kWh. If you were in an area with a really unreliable grid and had a lot of solar potential I think it would be worth it but here in Alberta our grid is down for 2-3 hours/year.

So to me the economics of an electric car outweigh the benefits of having a home battery at least at todays prices for power. And I promise the car is a lot more fun.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be honest paying HST in the scenario is not that bad of a deal. Net metering essentially allows you to use the grid as a giant battery for free. Lets say you use 1000kWh per month. You decide to install a solar array that makes 1000kWh per month of electricity. So with net metering you can put all your excess energy into the grid during the day and withdrawl it at night. So your bill shows 1000kWh used and 1000kWh produced which leaves a net difference of 0.

In Alberta we do not have this so what happens is I get paid whatever rate the utility company charges me per kWh ($0.07/kWh). So at noon when no one is home and I'm generating power that is being pumped back into the grid I am getting $0.07/kWh. At night time I plug in my electric car and pay $0.20/kWh (0.07 + all the fees which are roughly 0.13).

You might say well oh that's easy just buy a battery for your house. Right now for a Tesla powerwall you are paying $6500 + $1100 (gateway) + install. So just the battery itself is $500 per kWh. If you were in an area with a really unreliable grid and had a lot of solar potential I think it would be worth it but here in Alberta our grid is down for 2-3 hours/year.

So to me the economics of an electric car outweigh the benefits of having a home battery at least at todays prices for power. And I promise the car is a lot more fun.
Tax = bad

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
f89aff5ed0d4eff2d9a7be113bdc71bb.jpg

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like a drug dealer, get you hooked for free and then hit you full price.

That poor bastard in Newfoundland with the net Zero house has to pay tax on the power he generates.

Maybe he should have spent more time researching how HST works then a net zero house. Anyone with half a brain could have told him how HST works.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

power is pretty cheap in Alberta, so I won't be bothering with the solar power any time soon. the only reason I ever would look at solar is to get off the grid and if it cost more than being on the grid, might still be worth it to me to be able to never have to deal with a power company again.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why? not like they spend the road tax on maintaining roads.

the roads are falling apart. the "road tax" is a crock of chit if you ask me
Its built into the price of liter of gas so if you drive the road you should pay one way or other.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s buried somewhere in this 80 page thread but to run say a full tank equivalent for a car in equivalent performance to a Tesla 3 with dual motors what does the true electrical cost at home?

bmw/Audi m3 or S5 for example 500km $55-60 in premium

Tesla model 3 performance 500Km. ??? Addition to home bill with 240 plugs ALL services charges and power

Last edited:
Top Bottom